Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Headphone jack suddenly stopped working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sacrifice

Sacrifice

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:16 AM

I installed a new GPU when I plugged the wires back in my computer for some reason the speaker fell off the desk and yanked the AUX cable out of the motherboard in the back then I went to play a youtube video my speakers weren't being recognized as a device so I tried taking the case apart again and making sure everything was plugged in - still nothing - tried the back AUX jack and the front one which doesn't make sense to me why is the front jack not working.

However I still have audio on my USB headset
I tested the speakers on my phone and the speakers work fine, my earbuds also don't work on the computer aux jack anymore front or back.

I was also wondering if its possible to splice a USB plug in from an old phone charging cable onto the aux cable of the speakers.

Does anyone know what the hell happened? I'm assuming its either a. something to do with new graphics card ( doesn't make sense to me why that would be) or b. because the cable ripped out of the AUX jack in the back but still doesn't explain why front AUX jack would stop working too...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 03 August 2018 - 11:17 AM

Those little plastic jacks they mount on PCBs are pretty fragile and as noted, get jammed and often unmounted when headphones get jerked from the connectors.  There's also a small switch built in that can get stuck in the wrong position when the jack gets pulled.  The switch position also tells the MOBO where to send any audio and can mis-direct things when malfunctioning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users