Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Back in the Linux Groove...

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 66Batmobile

66Batmobile

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:58 PM

Hello all,

As the title states, after a looooong layoff (lack of home internet/$tuff happen$), I'm finally able to come crawling back in asking for help. :bananas: :bounce:

I spent most of the time since I've been hooked back up updating and trying to absorb the changes since I was last able to use this infernal machine, and I think I've got everything (sort of) stable for the moment.

I'm still running this as a Mint Cinnamon 17.2/Ubuntu Mate 16.04/Mint 18 multi-boot and for now I just wanted to get some opinions on the following:

-When I tried to update from the terminal at first, it didn't seem to work, and I had to use the update manager (all three partitions).  I noticed that one of the updates was for the updater itself, so can I go back to using the terminal for this now (I like watching all the updates flying by :P )

-I really don't like what happened to Firefox :thumbdown: :nono: :flamethrower: .  Should I just admit defeat and allow myself to be assimilated into Chrome?

-I also have no idea how to tell which kernel all these should be at by now :scratchhead:, so any pointers there would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance, wish I could have been back sooner :hello: :blush:

Gen. Barker - You haven't heard the last of this!!

Hawkeye Pierce - I wasn't listening to the first of it...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,968 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:47 PM

Welcome Back  !...good to hear from you again.

I still regard Firefox as a better choice than Chrome

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:06 PM

Welcome Back  !...good to hear from you again.

I still regard Firefox as a better choice than Chrome

Thanks Condo!  Relieved to finally be back :bounce:

Re Firefox: For the moment I can cautiously agree, but I miss a few of the addons I had before :rip: , and it took me forever to tweak about:config way back when, not looking forward to figuring that all out again :wacko:

Oh well, at least I get to use it again :)

Getting late, hopefully back tomorrow :thumbsup2:

#4 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:39 PM

Hello all,

It appears I was able to resolve all of the stuff mentioned in the original post (note to self: next time start by reviewing all of your past forum activity before asking anew :P ). 

Anywho, now that that's taken care of, I wonder if I could get some opinions on I'm missingout on anything earthshakingly new in Ubuntu 18 or Mint 19 vs what I already have (Mint 17.2/Ubuntu MATE 16.04/ Mint 18 multi-boot)?  I'm most familiar with Mint 17.2 at this point/didn't get to play with the other two much before everything went pear-shaped :whistle:

Any suggestions appreciated :thumbsup2:

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:16 PM

Hallo, Batmobile.

Kernels and browsers, hm? Well, now...

I have to confess, as a long-term Chrome user, that I'm actually really rather impressed with what Mozilla have finally delivered on the browser front.

I first switched to Firefox as an last-ditch attempt to get away from Internet Exploder, back in the middle of the last decade. I mean, you must remember what it was like in the early days of XP; frankly, it was awful. (And that was being charitable..!) Firefox was a revelation; it opened pages in a fraction of the time; it was (relatively) stable, anf it didn't freeze all the time. Hell, I actually managed to get stuff done... :lol:

But inevitably, problems crept in. RAM leakage became an increasingly serious issue; it developed a tendency to start crashing without warning, etc., etc. By 2008 I'd had enough. In August of that year, the first 'beta', pre-release builds of Chrome were available for test. I took a look, and tried it out for a few weeks, and.....I was hooked. And I've used it pretty much ever since. Since it was available as a Linux build, I stuck with it when I took the plunge at XP's demise in April 2014.

I've always kept an eye on what Mozilla were doing with FF, and usually had a copy hanging around as a 'back-up' browser, in case Chrome developed any major problems. It never did!

As a matter of course, I tried Quantum last year when it came out. Bloody hell; what a revelation. Finally, here was the browser Mozilla could have delivered all those years ago, were it not for the never-ending back-room 'in-fighting' between the FF devs; fast, responsive.....stable. A browser fit for the 21st century.

The silly thing is, with the most recent Chrome (68), Google have done a major re-design of the interface.....and it now looks almost exactly like the 'Australis' release of FF, version 29..... There's precious little to choose between 'em any more, and I nowadays use one or the other, as the mood takes me.

As the saying goes, 'What goes around, comes around...'

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for kernels, well; conventional wisdom always dictates that you should use the very newest version all the time. Now, I shall in all likelihood get my arse kicked for saying this, but ask yourself this; what kind of vintage is your hardware? Are you running relatively new stuff, or like many of us, substantially older stuff, hm?

The reason I say that is simple; although newer kernels are constantly adding hardware support, they're also steadily dropping support for old gear. (If they didn't, the kernel, being 95% drivers like it is, would by this time be many times larger than it is.)

And companies like Canonical aren't exactly helping matters here. Mark Shuttleworth has for long enough fancied himself as the 'Bill Gates' of the Linux eco-sphere; Canonical have a habit of heavily 'customizing' their kernels in favour of the enthusiast sector of the community.....who tend to always run the very newest hardware all the time, regardless of the damage it does to their bank balances..!

And don't make the mistake of giving yourself a false sense of security by thinking the newest kernels will give you Spectre and Meltdown protection. Back to a certain point in time they will; beyond that, they won't. Intel drew a line in the sand at a certain point, and said, 'Here, and no further back will we go.' Again, it all depends on the age of your hardware. The point I'm trying to make is that in certain cases, depending on the hardware, an older kernel will probably be as serviceable, if not more so, than the very newest ones.

Here's an illustration. My elderly, 2005 Compaq desktop started out in 2014 in Linux with Ubuntu 'Trusty'. For 9 months or so, it was great. Then, I started getting regular, inexplicable graphical freeze-ups. I later found out Canonical's 'customizing' had only stripped out Vesa support for my integrated graphics chip, hadn't it?

I switched to 'Puppy' Linux, following a recommendation from an acquaintance on the Ubuntu Forums; it was like a switch had been thrown. Literally overnight, no more graphical freezes; Puppy uses the bog-standard kernels from kernel.org. Without 'modification'..!

I've been with it ever since.

---------------------------------------

Apart from all that, I think the major change is the dropping, by Canonical, of their Unity desktop environment for the GNOME one.....which they used several years back. And that's the only major thing of note, really. Nothing 'earth-shattering'.

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 04 August 2018 - 02:26 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:56 PM

Good to see you're still here MW :thumbup2:.

Thanks for the info.  I'm still shaking the cobwebs out, but I managed to get the kernel(s) updated and have just been reading up on things here and a few other places trying to catch up.  I didn't realize how rusty I would get.  I'm considering flushing my Ubuntu 16/Mint 18 partitions and trying the new ones out since I didn't get to really do anything with 16/18 before I wound up offline.

As far as the browser thing the main issue as always is privacy.  When I said I didn't like what they did to Firefox, I mostly meant what happened with the addons (no :censored: classic-theme-restorer, etc :ranting: )-I've got it almost the same as before but i need to go back into my notes to see whats changed in about:config (I had previously tweaked a lot of the settings).

Since you brought Puppy up, what browsers can be used with that now?  I was under the impression Pale Moon may not be the best choice any more :scratchhead:..

Once I get sorted with MInt/Ubuntu, I was going to try to pick back up with Puppy, so just curious.

Again, good to hear from you/I'll be popping in and out for a while as I play with everything... :thumbsup2:

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:52 PM

Personally I say a upgrade to mint 19 and 18.04 is a good idea.

Sure its not going to be a spectacular update but it is a newer base at least

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 04:00 PM

Hallo again, Batmobile.

Well..... The Xenialpups are out on final, 'stable' release now; both 32- and 64-bit are at 7.5. I'm in Xenialpup64 7.5 ATM; my Tahr64 6.05, though still a good Pup and test-bed, is getting a wee bit long in the tooth! I felt it was time I tried a newer 64-bit Puppy, though for sheer speed, I still don't think you can beat the 32-bitzers.

Besides, I can't build my Chrome packages in a 32-bit Pup...

There's also peebee's Upup Bionic 18.05, based on 'Bionic Beaver', though that's only 32-bit currently. I don't know if peebee's got any plans for a 64-bit version. I'm running that one, too; got around 14 inmates in the 'kennels' presently.

As for browsers, we've got 'em coming out of our ears! Huge choice. What gave you the impression PaleMoon wasn't such a good choice any more? It's still the default browser for most new Pups these days. And Puppy Forum menber fredx181 has put together some portable packages for FF Quantum; the entire thing runs from a single directory.....profile and everything. I'm posting this from Fred's Quantum 61.01 right now...

As for Mint & Ubuntu (as Madman said):-

Seconded. :thumbup2:

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 04 August 2018 - 04:09 PM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

Should I just admit defeat and allow myself to be assimilated into Chrome?

You should have done that a long time ago LOL.  I like and use both, Chrome for my daily driver and FF for Security.

I be watching your progress my friend!  I have been much less enthusiastic for some reason :thumbdown:

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:21 PM

How ya doin Madman :thumbup2:

Yeah, I downloaded Mint 19 cinnamon today-going to play with it as live DVD for a while until I'm sure I've got all my marbles back. :crazy:  As for regular Ubuntu if all that changed is that Unity is gone (don't tell anyone I said so, but YAY!) I'll try Ubuntu MATE later on.

Tahr64 6.05, though still a good Pup and test-bed, is getting a wee bit long in the tooth!

Figures, thats the one I started dabbling with way back when.  Would I be wasting my time relearning 6.05, then Mike?

Should I just admit defeat and allow myself to be assimilated into Chrome?

You should have done that a long time ago LOL.  I like and use both, Chrome for my daily driver and FF for Security.

Ha! I figured you'd catch that one punk! :thumbup2:

I know I should give in, but the stubborn doofus in me keeps saying no! :devil:

Honestly, if Chrome had something like NoScript, I'd probably be able to live with it (while hating myself). :P

I be watching your progress my friend!  I have been much less enthusiastic for some reason :thumbdown:

My progress will porobably consist of reruns for a while :whistle:

Seriously though, why a lack of enthusiasm, if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by 66Batmobile, 04 August 2018 - 10:27 PM.

#11 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,352 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 10:40 AM

Hi, Batmobile.

Figures, thats the one I started dabbling with way back when.  Would I be wasting my time relearning 6.05, then Mike?

I wouldn't say so; there's still plenty of folks using it. You might like to consider Tahr64 6.0.6, though; that's the re-worked version with 'auto-sensing' UEFI support. It more easily installs with a greater variety of newer machines. And don't forget, Puppies don't go 'out-of-date' like their mainstream counterparts, due to the lack of continuous, never-ending updates.....that, to my mind, is one of their charms, and why they're easier to work with for older hardware. Functionality doesn't risk getting broken, y'see.

Download:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr64-6.0.6-uefi.iso

MD5 checksum:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr64-6.0.6-uefi.iso.md5.txt

Or, really, Xenialpup64 7.5 is a good one; I only installed it less than a week ago, and already I really like it. Quite similar, and most .pets/SFS packages built for Tahr64 will run in it OK.

Download:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-xenial/64/xenialpup64-7.5-uefi.iso

MD5 checksum:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-xenial/64/xenialpup64-7.5-uefi.iso.md5&sha256.txt

Let us know what you decide to do (if at all).

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 05 August 2018 - 10:42 AM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#12 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:26 PM

Let us know what you decide to do (if at all).

Mike.  :wink:

Probably go back over what I learned on 6.05 and go from there-Puppy's the one I didn't get to really dig into before...

What gave you the impression PaleMoon wasn't such a good choice any more?

I forgot to reply to that one before...I was reading an article on howtogeek.com about FF Quantum, and there was another one linked from it suggesting that many of the offshoots from the older FF releases may now have a hard time keeping up with current developments...I can try to find the link if you'd like :thumbup2:

#13 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:22 PM

Hello all,

I finally got some time to play with my Mint 19 live disc tonight. As far as I can tell it looks like it will run on this thing/i.e. it appeared to recognize all hardware. :bounce:  Other than that, the main thing I noticed is the changes to the icon/menu graphics (anyone else think some of it's a little "cartoony"?).

Only question I have at the moment is whether the kernel for this release has anything to do with that "speck" thing from one of the other threads? And if so, is it an issue?  It's not that I'm paranoid, it's just that I'm...overly suspicious :whistle:

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 11:05 PM

no the kernel is fine and speck will probably be bypassed anyhow

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#15 66Batmobile

66Batmobile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 06:50 PM

Greetings,

Here's where I'm at now:

Mint 17.2 still installed first partition

Ubuntu MATE 16.04/Mint 18 partitions are outta here

Mint 19 installed 2nd partition/seems to be OK except when booting:

After selecting 19 from grub screen, it boots with a lot of text running down left side of the monitor with green "OK"s :scratchhead:.  Don't know if it's a hardware thing or what.

Anyone else have something similar happen?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users