Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer - need to clean out what I don't need

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 aer

aer

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:36 PM

I just purchased a Dell computer to use when traveling and possibly for work.  My main laptop (also a Dell) is too big/heavy to take everywhere.   My new one is an inspiration 11 3000 with 4GB RAM and 30GB storage.  I want to remove any software I can to free up space - I am already down to less than 7GB.  I will mainly use flash drives or the cloud to store documents and photos.  I am wondering what I can safely remove.

McAfee - I am leaning towards sticking with Windows defender to eliminate needing another anti virus.  McAfee came installed on it, I will be removing it.

I downloaded iCloud since I have quite a bit stored there.  When I looked at storage it has Apple Application Support 32bit and Apple Application Support 64bit.  Do I need both?  Computer is 64 bit

I am assuming I need AMD software

Dell support assistant is 123MB

Realtek high definition audio driver 169 MB - am assuming I need this also

smart byte drivers and services.

other apps are under 1MB

I did download

OneDrive

iCloud

and will be downloading Dropbox

Is there anything else I need?  

Thank you - please excuse any typing errors, this small keyboard takes getting used to!

Ann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:46 PM

You may need to enable the ability to see System Files. Look on the root of C: for a file called hiberfil.sys. How big is it? Is System Restore enabled and if it is how much space is used?

Get rid of Mcafee and the Dell Assistant. I don't think you would need the Realtek folder as the drive is already installed but I would keep it.

Press the Windows key + R. In the run box type %temp%. You can delete everything in the temp folder.

#3 Nikelpede

Nikelpede

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:25 PM

JohnC makes good suggestions.

But honesty 30 GB of total drive space is tiny .

I would look at your task manager and see how many processes are running.

Msconfig.exe can assist you in tuning your pc, by allowing you to select what is running at start up or in the background.

Get Treesize.

It will help you find were the big files are on the drive.

Just remember to back stuff up, you want to be able to get back to where the pc works

Get familiar with restore points, make restore points.

Edited by Nikelpede, 02 August 2018 - 11:26 PM.

#4 aer

aer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:20 PM

I am doing a restore point.   The good thing about a small hard drive is easy to back it all up.  I am just tired of hauling my regular laptop.  I know that it will be enough for traveling.  I just want to make sure I have enough security and the basics I need to run the computer.  I plan on using a flash drive as storage for almost everything - even some programs (Quicken)   I am also thinking about doing a disk image, not sure I need this since there won't be a lot on the actual computer.  

Thank you for the help!  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users