Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Almost but not quite a full windows reinstall?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Evolution13

Evolution13

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:39 PM

Wisecare 365 used to have an option to reset the windows files to they state they'd be in after a fresh windows reinstall, but without loosing installed programs or data.

What was especially nice about this is it had the side effect of cutting the arms and legs off of viruses and malware because nothing except the core windows processes would run at bootup afterwards. You'd need to manually set programs to run at startup afterwards. You'd still wanna clean up your malware afterwards but it was effectively inert.

I don't know why the option was removed, maybe it didn't work with windows 10, but if there's something else that does this I'd love to know about it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:06 PM

Here's how you can still do it. 

#3 Evolution13

Evolution13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:32 PM

Hrmm.. did they change something with the way repair installs work? Last time I tried this 3rd party software that had been running at bootup was still running afterwards.

#4 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

Yes. Anything you have on your PC will be there when doing it like in the video above. Nothing will be changed as far as 3rd party apps or anything. If you want a re-install and don't care about losing 3rd party apps, you can do it from inside Windows 10.  Click on "settings" then "update and security"  then "recovery" then "reset this PC".  The video actually covers the other ways to do the re-install if you don't want 3rd party apps or programs to be included. 

Edited by Mason21, 02 August 2018 - 07:52 PM.

#5 Evolution13

Evolution13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:51 PM

Alright I'll give this a shot, thanks!

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:54 PM

There is also Aomei One Key. This program will create an image that can be restored with all programs intact. It has the advantage of being able to update your Windows install at any time. You install new programs and get updated it will let you update the image. If Windows somehow gets borked you can restore the image from the partition it creates by tapping F11 or A  at boot.

https://www.backup-utility.com/okr-free.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-CDnhsV4co

Edited by JohnC_21, 02 August 2018 - 07:55 PM.

#7 Evolution13

Evolution13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:01 PM

Thought I'd share the post-mortem. The repair install didn't work, but there were some mitigating circumstances. I couldn't follow the video exactly, the browser redirects wouldn't let me get to MIcrosoft, so I had to run the install from a USB drive. Pretty much everything that had been running at startup before was still running afterwards. It was running somewhat faster but there were still signs of infection. Then when I decided to go the scorched earth route, I discovered the machine had *three* recovery partitions, two of which were smaller than they ought to be and I suspect were put there by malware. It would also explain why it just kept ballooning out with malware every time I thought I'd finally got it clean.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:17 PM

Having multiple Windows RE (recovery) partitions is normal for Windows 10 especially after an upgrade from a previous OS. Were they about 400MB in size?

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-too-many-recovery-partitions/274179f3-3616-4d49-9dff-a32d01223a8f?page=2

#9 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:55 PM

Basically, the video instructs you to download media creation tool and put it on your desktop. Right click on it and run it as administrator. You will have 3 choices. Keep all data and apps, keep some apps or keep nothing and do a full re=install. 

#10 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,195 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:24 PM

It was running somewhat faster but there were still signs of infection.

If you have signs of malware then you really need to get that resolved first before doing anything else unless you are going to perform a fresh clean install of Windows.

How to Clean install Windows 10 from USB

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/clean-install-windows-10

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#11 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 08 August 2018 - 06:18 PM

Hi, yes the video posted by Mason 21 has been around for some time began around the anniversary update and the media creation tool. 

Used on occasions, however it does bring over all the crap from the previous install, it will give you the latest version, it will not however fix problems that are caused by malware or third party incompatible apps (such as AV's) so we rarely use it, and that's why it is not that well known. 

Actually one of the first things they do in Australian primary schools, is to teach children how to backup their data, on their computers. We always say "backup your data" this way you can perform a fresh clean install, it is really the only sensible way to go.

#12 Evolution13

Evolution13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 12:03 PM

I always back data up first. I was never worried about that. I was searching for the perfect "Have your cake and eat it too!" Windows reset that Wise Care 365 used to offer because of it's ability to disable everything that ran at bootup except for windows itself. It made malware removal a breeze.

Many of my clients are retirement age and older and don't like change. This makes doing a full windows reinstall even more painful than it usually is. I suppose I shouldn't complain, I do get paid more sitting there for hours teaching them how to use everything all over again...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users