Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Boots to BIOS or BSODs During Boot

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sasschary

sasschary

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:53 PM

Hi, y'all,

So, my laptop is sick :(

About a month ago, my laptop BSODed and rebooted to BIOS after I unplugged it from its charger. It wouldn't boot for a while, but after I got home that day, it didn't have any problems, so I didn't think much of it. Then, two weeks ago, the same thing happened again, which made me think it might be something I'd need to look into. Last week, it started happening consistently, and started only booting to BIOS or a BSOD. The first time that the problem started happening consistently, one of my programs gave a low RAM error right before the BSOD, which came with the error of unexpected store exception. The PC rebooted, then BSODed with error critical process died. Then it booted to bios. When I got it to boot to not BIOS, it booted to chkdsk. It rebooted to another critical process died BSOD, then to BIOS.

A bit later, I was able to get the system to boot to Windows, at which point I ran chkdsk from the booted system. It came back saying that the volume was in use and wouldn't run. I restarted the computer, and it then put itself into a boottime chkdsk boot loop.Eventually it booted to automatic repair, after which I was able to get to an RE command prompt. I got there, then tried running chkdsk again, where it found no problems. Someone suggested I try running chkdsk with the /r and /f flags, which gave the error "Cannot open volume for direct access". Then it returned again to booting only to BIOS.

Someone then suggested that I try removing hibrfile.sys, if it existed, from a Linux USB. So, I did, but that didn't fix the problem. The PC rebooted to automatic repair after that, and its repairs failed. It provided a log file, srttrail.txt: https://www.pastebin.com/VKumDrA2 . While I was booted to the Linux OS, I made a backup of my drive. During the backup, the OS told me that there was one bad sector on the drive but that it was otherwise fine.

After seeing the srttrail.txt text, a Discord user sent me this link (https://superuser.com/questions/1286232/windows-10-unable-to-boot-failure-to-repair-loop-refer-to-srttrail-txt-inside), but none of the solutions provided there worked on my issue. I then tried running DISM from the RE which returned "An error occurred closing a servicing component in the image", and the log file said a bunch of stuff about failing to load providers and such. The first thing that was actually logged as an error was on trying to get the OS version. SFC scans returned that the requested operation could not be performed.

At this point, since I now had a backup of all my data, I decided to try reinstalling Windows. So, I did, and it worked! Well, it worked for a day, at least. I reinstalled in the morning, started getting my data copied onto the new system, and, that evening, the BSODs and BIOS booting started again.

I tried a reinstall once more the day after, but decided to install hardly anything at all, and see if the problem still persisted. So I installed only programs that I'd normally put on my Ninite installer, then didn't use the computer until that evening. The system not having crashed all day, I used the web browser for a bit, but soon after, the problem returned once more.

And now we have gotten to the present time, at which I am sitting, staring at a BIOS screen. I have tried running the Sysnative tool, but am unable to get the system to boot for long enough. I will see if I can get a crash dump off of the system from a Linux USB. I will also see what I can do about running the hard drive and memory diagnostics, but I don't think these are faulty, as I think they would have caused errors in creating backups of my files, but I was able to use the backups just fine when I reinstalled Windows the first time. But I will run the diagnostics nonetheless.

As I cannot run Speccy, here's the information about my laptop that I know:

· System Manufacturer: Asus

· Exact model number (if laptop, check the label on bottom): Q553U

· OS - Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, or Vista?  Windows 10. I don't know what version of it, though

· x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit)? 64-bit

· What was original installed OS on system? Win10

· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? Uhh not really sure. Win10 came preactivated but I have since then reinstalled.

· Age of the computer (hardware): 2 years

· Age of OS installation - and whether you have re-installed the OS: When the problem started, it was around 6 months on that installation. Each reinstall since then lasted about 12 hours before problems started.

· Laptop or Desktop computer? Laptop

· CPU: i7-6500U

· Video Card: NVIDIA 940M

Anyway, sorry for this extremely long post. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sasschary

EDIT: I just remembered one other thing: At one point in time, I think after the first reinstall, the computer was rebooting to neither BIOS nor a BSOD. It just printed "B1InitializeLibrary failed 0xc00000bb" on the ASUS loading screen. It did eventually go to booting to BIOS/BSOD, though.

Edited by sasschary, 02 August 2018 - 06:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:12 PM

You can find some explanations and possible fixes in this MS Forums thread - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/bi-initializelibrary-failed-0xc00000bb-on-black/a8889e67-300c-491a-965a-df087ab5cbe1?auth=1

I've never seen this before.
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#3 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 808 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:04 PM

Hello,

Yes, I saw that earlier, but unfortunately hadn't really found much of help in it :|

But, I actually got the system to stay on long enough to get the sysnative app to run! Unfortunately it didn't grab any dump files though (And there aren't any on the system), so I'll wait for it to crash and see if I can get a dump after that. But here's what the sysnative app collected.

Oh, and the RAM test came back clean, I haven't gotten to the hard drive test yet.

Thanks,

Sasschary

Edited by sasschary, 02 August 2018 - 08:05 PM.

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:41 PM

Running Driver Verifier could help generate BSODs - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576333/driver-verifier-bsod-related-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

If Driver Verifier flags a 3rd party driver, it will force a BSOD.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2
Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#5 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 808 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 02:04 PM

Sorry for my delayed reply, I have had to move rooms and work has kept me busy, too. I just started the driver verifier and will post again after the computer crashes, as I'm sure it will eventually do.

#6 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 808 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2018 - 08:53 PM

Okay so I haven't gotten any BSODs yet, but, here's something I just thought about... What are the chances it'd be something to do with my graphics card? My screen has randomly turned green and purple on top of the normal image on the screen (It just happened a few minutes ago but stopped before I could get a picture. I'll try and get one if it happens again though). Also, it has seemed like the BSODs after reinstall have occurred after I've installed and tried running a game, although I didn't think about that potential connection until now.

So, yeah, what are the chances it's an issue with my graphics card, and is there a way that I could test that?

Sasschary

EDIT: Managed to get a video of the green and purple lines thing. I couldn't attach it directly, so I uploaded it to YouTube here. I had an external monitor connected when it happened, and it was set to duplicate the screens, but the problem did not happen on the duplicated, external monitor.

EDIT 2: I can't say I ever thought I'd be happy to see a BSOD, but, I am! The computer has finally crashed again (Critical process died, so not caused by the driver verifier) and left me with a dump file. So, I am about to run the Sysnative log collector again and I'll post it's output here.

Edited by sasschary, 08 August 2018 - 02:44 PM.

#7 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 808 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:48 PM

Alright, sorry for the triple post, but here's the Sysnative output, now with a crash dump included. Yay!

Okay, the zip is too big to upload. Uploading to Google Drive instead: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ecjUzoFC8hMeiKR06qkigtZHnvI6zjks

Edited by sasschary, 08 August 2018 - 02:50 PM.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 05:53 PM

Likely just a bad hard drive...

Event[277]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: Disk
  Date: 2018-08-07T14:54:59.754
  Event ID: 7
  Task: N/A
  Level: Error
  Opcode: N/A
  Keyword: Classic
  User: N/A
  User Name: N/A
  Computer: DESKTOP-M4UJ0D1
  Description:
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.
Event[795]:
  Log Name: System
  Source: Disk
  Date: 2018-08-07T11:06:45.677
  Event ID: 153
  Task: N/A
 Level: Warning
  Opcode: N/A
  Keyword: Classic
  User: N/A
  User Name: N/A
  Computer: WIN-FL4V6NEA7RR
  Description:
The IO operation at logical block address 0xc1fa4e for Disk 0 (PDO name: \Device\00000037) was retried.

several such errors in the Event Log. I would back up your files right away and replace the hard drive. :)

Regards,

bwv848

Edited by bwv848, 08 August 2018 - 05:54 PM.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#9 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 808 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 02:57 PM

I'm going to hope that is the case, as I'd much rather replace a hard drive than replace the whole laptop...

The driver verifier seems to cause a BSOD if I try to watch something on Netflix. The driver is igdkmd64.sys, which seems to be for Intel graphics. I also still have the problem with green and purple flashing on screen occasionally.  The crash dump from that BSOD is here.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 12:04 PM

Yeah, sometimes graphics issues come from dying hard drives. I'd seriously consider backing up all your files and running a hard drive diagnostic. :)

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#11 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 808 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 01:07 PM

I thankfully have a backup of everything already. As for a hard drive diagnostic, how do you suggest going about that? I tried burning a SeaTools USB last week, and my system saw it, but then wouldn't actually boot to it. When I selected it in the boot menu, the menu would disappear for a moment, then reappear, and if I chose the SeaTools USB again, it would just boot to Windows.

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:07 PM

Can you try disabling UEFI or any "Secure Boot" features in the "BIOS" menu? (In other words, try legacy boot...)

#13 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 808 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 04:04 PM

I meant to edit that into my previous post, but must have forgotten to. I'm pretty sure I tried that already. Unfortunately I seem to have misplaced my USB drive (Which was already my second one since I also misplaced the one I normally used... Guess I'm not doing so well with keeping track of thumb drives, lately) so until I either find one of them or get another one, I don't think I'll be able to try it again. But for now my computer has seemed to be working fine for the most part, and I have backups of my data already so I don't need to worry about losing anything. So I think I should be fine until I get/find a USB drive, and, if absolutely necessary I can use my raspberry pi or servers as temporary computers.

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2018 - 09:19 AM

If your computer boots into Windows normally, you can use Seagate's SeaTools for Windows instead.

#15 sasschary

sasschary
  • Topic Starter

• 808 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2018 - 10:34 AM

Hello,

Sorry for my late reply. Work has been keeping me busy lately...

Anyway I finally got around to scanning the hard drive with the Windows version of SeaTools (Silly me for not remembering there's a Windows version), and the drive passed a long generic test. Here's the log, although it doesn't look super helpful IMO since the drive passed:

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.4.0.6 ---------------

8/18/2018 8:29:43 PM

Model Number: ST2000LM003 HN-M201RAD

Serial Number: S36XJ9BH105673

Firmware Revision: 2BE10001

Long Generic - Started 8/18/2018 8:29:43 PM

Long Generic - Pass 8/19/2018 11:31:09 AM

BSODs haven't been happening quite as much but still occasionally. My computer has been at least usable for now.

Edited by sasschary, 19 August 2018 - 10:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users