Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Transfer Files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FloridaArtist

FloridaArtist

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:33 PM

I'm suddenly having a problem moving files from my Flash Drive into My Windows 7, PC's, (My Documents) folder. I do this all the time, but suddenly it will not accept the files and it gives me the round Red International NO sign! ..Any Ideas as to what this might be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikelpede

Nikelpede

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:18 PM

Can you read the files that are on the USB?

I mean can you open them when they are on the USB?

Edited by Nikelpede, 02 August 2018 - 07:19 PM.

#3 FloridaArtist

FloridaArtist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:16 PM

Yes no problem at all with that! ..It will not even allow me to drag an individual item in an open folder like a photo in! ..Also I didn't mention it before, but I always drag the files from place to place! ..If that's of any importance!

Edited by FloridaArtist, 02 August 2018 - 08:22 PM.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:03 AM

What is the make and model of the afflicted system?

Describe the antivirus/antimalware environment.

Edited by joseibarra, 05 August 2018 - 06:08 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 FloridaArtist

FloridaArtist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 11:42 AM

I have a Dell 780 SFF running Windows 7 Pro. Since posting this I did discover a work around. I just got this PC back from the shop after a windows failure, and what ever they did, sort of defaulted or deleted a lot of things! When I try to drag photos into My Pictures it only allows me to drag them into Public Pictures, which seems to be a sub folder in the library of My Pictures. and the same with My Documents, I also must drag those into Public Documents! Maybe this is just my Ignorance, but possibly that repair has made it necessary for me to re place these folders?

Edited by FloridaArtist, 05 August 2018 - 12:01 PM.

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:59 PM

I was suspecting something else that in not inherent to Dell so that idea isn't going to help. 

I don't do much of anything with the Windows picture folders either so don't know how they are supposed to work.

Others might have some ideas and you can tell us what was the nature of the "windows failure".

If the system worked before you took it to the shoppe and doesn't work when you got it back from the shoppe, what was the reply from the shoppe when you asked them about the problem?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,106 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 01:58 PM

I have a Dell 780 SFF running Windows 7 Pro. Since posting this I did discover a work around. I just got this PC back from the shop after a windows failure, and what ever they did, sort of defaulted or deleted a lot of things! When I try to drag photos into My Pictures it only allows me to drag them into Public Pictures, which seems to be a sub folder in the library of My Pictures. and the same with My Documents, I also must drag those into Public Documents! Maybe this is just my Ignorance, but possibly that repair has made it necessary for me to re place these folders?

Seems like a bit of a Permissions issue was created when the pc fell ill, or even during the repair.  Wait for someone to come along that knows how to fix permission issues.  The "shop" should take some responsibility for fixing it properly but they may not have noticed this issue.  If they did a clean install then it is there fault, if they just did some kind of repair to save you money then well, it may cost more to fix it properly I don't know what kind of policy they have in place.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users