Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Explorer showing "two" F drives?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:12 PM

Hey guys I am trying to help a close friend with this please. He copied his main music folder from his external drive into explorer but now there are 2 drives letters showing as F, i tried to right-click to delete one but it is not showing a delete option, help please?

https://s8.postimg.cc/tn50qf69h/Screenshot_1.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:24 PM

Yes, that is perfectly normal for Win 10 machines. I am not sure why but there is a lot of duplication of entries in the Win 10 version of 'File Explorer' as it is now known. I find it quite confusing at times but I think it is something to do with the fact that more or less the top half of the window relates to recently opened locations/files.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:25 PM

those are the same drive, windows just listed it twice

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:29 PM

Makes sense since both of them shows 140GB but problem remains how do I delete any of the two?

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,222 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:32 PM

you dont delete a drive, you ether unmount it, eject it or reformat it

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:38 PM

Yeah, it's a Windows 10 thing.

https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/30151-why-do-my-drives-show-twice.html

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,563 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:07 PM

k thx guys, let me double check his music folders to make sure all is ok before doing anything thx.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:35 PM

As Madman said at #3 these two entries represent the same drive, therefore you cannot remove - regardless of terminology - one of these drives without removing 'both'.

This is a Win 10 file Explorer 'thing' and the only way around it is to consider using an alternative file manager - you will find several if you search on Google. I am thinking of doing this myself as I too find it annoying/confusing. But the Win 10 computer in this house is not mine, it's my wife's !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#9 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:11 PM

https://www.askvg.com/fix-drives-appearing-twice-in-navigation-pane-of-windows-10-explorer-this-pc/

#10 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:32 AM

Hi, that registry key from ask VG is a default entry. I would export it before deleting it. Also as it is default it only appears to effect some machines, if you do not use safely remove before pulling the drive from it's slot. The key controls removable drives (value data). I would tend to leave it as it is benign and will cause no issues, test if you like, export the key, then remove it see how you go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users