Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor failing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pandabird

pandabird

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:01 AM

Within the last 1-2 weeks my monitor has had a few instances of going on the "fritz" with a screen that seems to  "flicker" and freeze with a "flickering image". This can happen when both using the internet on not.

I have a DELL XPS Dimension 8300 with a long screen monitor (about 18 inches x11 inches). The monitor is a DELL IN2030M (Analog). I am using WIN 10 OS.

I have run the DELL PCSupport Diagnostics and I got an error message:

"Monitor DELL IN2030M (analog)    with error code  WMN01-LPE ---failed. 

I  tried contacting DELL (by-phone0 but they have "no idea" what this error code means. [my warranty is expired for this computer as bought in 2011]. I did just recently buy a DELL Laptop which I would like to be able to use the bigger monitor with, if possible.

I would like to find out exactly what is wrong.

Do I need a new driver?

Is video card going "bad"?

Do i need a new monitor?

If any event logs, diagnostics etc. can be run to better determine problem I would appreciate this assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:44 AM

Connect the monitor to your laptop and see if it flickers.

#3 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:26 PM

Will try that and get back to you in the middle of next week.

Seems like a good "first test".

It has happened about 3-4x within the last week. Twice within the last 24 hours.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:33 PM

This could be a graphics card issue. If the monitor flickers on the laptop and it has a separate cable I would replace the cable next and see if that changes anything.

#5 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:15 PM

I've been away so getting back to checking this problem out again.

I have a DELL Inspiron laptop. The long type monitor has one of the older serial type port connectors with many pins; this cannot be connected to my laptop without some sort of adapter, if possible.
I ran the monitor self-test diagnostic program and all colors appeared fine with no problem.

This happened a gain today after computer awoke from sleep mode.
See attached photo on Google drive (cannot upload large files here)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17n_9RtwmVSlcb1YbEB3B2joP-KykuLYB/view?usp=sharing

#6 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:26 PM

I think that i just need to follow this. I'll need to get an adapter at a computer store. Will let you know when I debug things further.

Thanks.

https://www.wikihow.com/Connect-a-Laptop-to-a-Monitor

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:55 AM

According to the specs on your Dell monitor, it also has a DVI-D port which, unlike the VGA port you are using is digital so you ought to be able to use one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cables-Unlimited-3-Feet-HDMI-to-DVI-D-Single-Link-Male-to-Male-Cable/222900831669?hash=item33e5ecc5b5%3Ag%3A8O8AAOSwlYRa8Vhn&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=dvi-d+single+link+to+hdmi+cable&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:56 AM

P.S.  Here is your user's manual:

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_display/dell-in1930_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#9 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:38 AM

Thank you for links to manual and cable needed.

This monitor flickering is a rare event but has happened more over the last few weeks. Since if I reboot my system things are normal again i am thinking a driver, other software, video card, or something with the computer may be affecting this. Will test on another computer/laptop soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users