Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor failing

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 pandabird

pandabird

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:01 AM

Within the last 1-2 weeks my monitor has had a few instances of going on the "fritz" with a screen that seems to  "flicker" and freeze with a "flickering image". This can happen when both using the internet on not.

I have a DELL XPS Dimension 8300 with a long screen monitor (about 18 inches x11 inches). The monitor is a DELL IN2030M (Analog). I am using WIN 10 OS.

I have run the DELL PCSupport Diagnostics and I got an error message:

"Monitor DELL IN2030M (analog)    with error code  WMN01-LPE ---failed. 

I  tried contacting DELL (by-phone0 but they have "no idea" what this error code means. [my warranty is expired for this computer as bought in 2011]. I did just recently buy a DELL Laptop which I would like to be able to use the bigger monitor with, if possible.

I would like to find out exactly what is wrong.

Do I need a new driver?

Is video card going "bad"?

Do i need a new monitor?

If any event logs, diagnostics etc. can be run to better determine problem I would appreciate this assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:44 AM

Connect the monitor to your laptop and see if it flickers.

#3 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:26 PM

Will try that and get back to you in the middle of next week.

Seems like a good "first test".

It has happened about 3-4x within the last week. Twice within the last 24 hours.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,854 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:33 PM

This could be a graphics card issue. If the monitor flickers on the laptop and it has a separate cable I would replace the cable next and see if that changes anything.

#5 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:15 PM

I've been away so getting back to checking this problem out again.

I have a DELL Inspiron laptop. The long type monitor has one of the older serial type port connectors with many pins; this cannot be connected to my laptop without some sort of adapter, if possible.
I ran the monitor self-test diagnostic program and all colors appeared fine with no problem.

This happened a gain today after computer awoke from sleep mode.
See attached photo on Google drive (cannot upload large files here)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17n_9RtwmVSlcb1YbEB3B2joP-KykuLYB/view?usp=sharing

#6 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 10:26 PM

I think that i just need to follow this. I'll need to get an adapter at a computer store. Will let you know when I debug things further.

Thanks.

https://www.wikihow.com/Connect-a-Laptop-to-a-Monitor

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:55 AM

According to the specs on your Dell monitor, it also has a DVI-D port which, unlike the VGA port you are using is digital so you ought to be able to use one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cables-Unlimited-3-Feet-HDMI-to-DVI-D-Single-Link-Male-to-Male-Cable/222900831669?hash=item33e5ecc5b5%3Ag%3A8O8AAOSwlYRa8Vhn&_sop=15&_sacat=0&_nkw=dvi-d+single+link+to+hdmi+cable&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 08:56 AM

P.S.  Here is your user's manual:

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_display/dell-in1930_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

#9 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 10:38 AM

Thank you for links to manual and cable needed.

This monitor flickering is a rare event but has happened more over the last few weeks. Since if I reboot my system things are normal again i am thinking a driver, other software, video card, or something with the computer may be affecting this. Will test on another computer/laptop soon.

#10 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2018 - 08:25 PM

Monitor still flickering at times. I notice this infrequently still.
Had an event about 6:48 pm today just 5 min after booted up computer which I left alone as it booted and sat around a bit. Screen flickered, froze, then blue screen came on alerting need to reboot which i allowed. No problems after booting.

I tried using program BlueScreenview but initially found nothing. I went into EventsViewer and copied some event s which may be significant. I can share at link if desired.

The problem may have to do with the computer system and some driver/process conflict. The only critical error was associated with the kernal. Problem may have to do with "when computer wakes up".

i wonder about doing a boot log as it is possible that computer malfunctions sometime soon after boot only to re-boot automatically. since i step away from computer after turning it on for > 5 minutes problems may be occurring in this interim period unknown to me.

I have ordered a HDMI-DVI cable which I should get early this week to check monitor on another computer. May be a system problem however; monitor may be fine.

will keep you updated. Thanks.

==================================

A BlueScreen log gave this info:

==================================================
Dump File         : 081918-45765-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 8/19/2018 6:48:12 PM
Bug Check String  : IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug Check Code    : 0x0000000a
Parameter 1       : fffff803`3406ef54
Parameter 2       : 00000000`00000002
Parameter 3       : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4       : fffff802`33d11993
Caused By Driver  : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+1a8ca0
File Description  :
Product Name      :
Company           :
File Version      :
Processor         : x64
==================================================

Edited by pandabird, 19 August 2018 - 08:27 PM.

#11 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2018 - 10:17 PM

Another couple instances happened this evening about 8:45 to 9:20 pm where my computer monitor suddenly flickered/froze then computer hanged and had to be re-booted.

I went thought the Event Logs to try to see what source/service etc. might be causing it. Most critical error was with kernal but something else probably happened to cause that event. I found many errors/alerts for Bonjour and DHCP events, and from MS-Windows Device Manager type sources. I am uploading these event viewer logs to link. these arre significant events errors-warnings-info from both MS-Window sources and basic system sources.

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1EwfzmmjahHk4OFfR1kj1rd1cQCarreum/view?usp=sharing

hxxps://drive.google.com/file/d/1dbnc1k1ReTz7MV6PhUVbryLk02QUrNV7/view?usp=sharing

Since this is an event log type file you will need to download it first. Then allow app on Windows machine to open it in EventViewer.

Edited by pandabird, 20 August 2018 - 10:19 PM.

#12 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:15 AM

I think this is a Video Card issue or the Drivers , but it could be Cables  , Or Caps in the Monitor { Bulging } you have to inspect them all ?

Once you try the Monitor on something else that will give you a better indication to it being the Monitor.

That Board also has Onboard Video Port , you could try that to blame the Card as the issue.

#13 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2018 - 07:47 AM

That vintage (2011) almost always disables the onboard graphics if a video card is detected, forcing you to either remove the card or use it's video out.

Do you have a video card installed?

If you do, what is its make and model?

If you are using the onboard video, the Intel HD Graphics 2000 or 3000 is officially unsupported on Windows 10 and I have seen several PC's where rolling back the drivers fixed the problem(s).

#14 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2018 - 04:54 PM

Please clarify what you mean by "vintage 2011"?  What is this? How do i tell if i have it?

That vintage (2011) almost always disables the onboard graphics if a video card is detected, forcing you to either remove the card or use it's video out.

According to Speccy I have the below graphics card:

Graphics
        Monitor
            Name    DELL IN2030M on Intel HD Graphics
            Current Resolution    1600x900 pixels
            Work Resolution    1600x870 pixels
            State    Enabled, Primary
            Monitor Width    1600
            Monitor Height    900
            Monitor BPP    32 bits per pixel
            Monitor Frequency    60 Hz
            Device    \\.\DISPLAY2\Monitor0
        Intel HD Graphics
            Manufacturer    Intel
            Model    HD Graphics
            Device ID    8086-0102
            Revision    A
            Subvendor    Dell (1028)
            Current Performance Level    Level 0
            Current GPU Clock    847 MHz
            Technology    32 nm
            Driver version    9.17.10.4459
                Count of performance levels : 1
                        Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"
                            GPU Clock    850 MHz

Edited by pandabird, 22 August 2018 - 04:57 PM.

#15 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2018 - 07:03 AM

Your XPS 8300 PC was introduced in 2011 and you, yourself, said you bought it in 2011.

You are using the onboard video and, what is most probably happening is that Windoze is trying to switch you to the basic video driver because the PC has an HD 2000 or HD 3000 video and M$ has deemed it too old for Windows 10.

On the top or side of your PC is a SERVICE TAG number printed on a small label.  Go to http://support.dell.com and type that SERVICE TAG number into the box which will then take you to the support pages explicit to your PC.  On the left, click on the Drivers & Downloads button then scan what is available, especially for a BIOS upgrade and Graphics drivers.  Download, Save, and then run those.

But; since September 2017, an awful lot of folks have had issues with your graphics and you may be SOL.

Your event log shows event id 41 (kernel power) which is basically that the PC rebooted unexpectedly.  Have you had any power interruptions that you know about?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users