Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2008 R2/Win 7 Unusual Share Issue

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tonytis

tonytis

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

This domain has been trouble free for about five years. Last week I uninstalled the old Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 and replaced it with ESET Endpoint Protection. For some reason all two out of five workstations were very slow for about 24 hours. It could have been the first scan that slowed them down.

Everything returned to normal except on one Pc, one of the mapped drives from this Pc to the server started being a problem. The drives are mapped from a user script (bat file) that runs in the Sysvol/domain.scripts folder on the server. I manually ran the script on the PC but it did not resolve the problem. A red X appears on the drive letter (I) so this morning, I remotely connect to it that PC and clicked the I drive. It opened up fine but still had the red X on it. I was able to create a test file in notepad and save it in multiple folders within the I drive

With the red X still there, I clicked Disconnect on the drive. It said it disconnected but when I tried connecting it, it said a duplicate connection was there.  

This user needed to update an application that stores the executable, updates and data files on the server's I drive.

Attached is a warning she receives when trying to run the update which doesn't appear to run.I checked the error in the screen print below. I was able to open the entire path, find the update exe file and even paste a text file in the folder, so I know this user has update permissions on the folder.

I've googled the error message (0x800704b3 and found it m,entioned as a common problem) but have not found a solution to this issue. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:04 AM

Run the command.  

net use * /delete /y
net use I: \\CFSLib 

That should fix your error. Also you should preface all your login scripts to map drives with Net use * /delete /y. That will prevent the issue your seeing from even happening. Better yet use Group Policy to map drive's.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 tonytis

tonytis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:37 AM

Hi Sneakycyber,

I appreciate this suggestion but I've tried that along with net use i:\server\share /persistence:yes

The 1st one didn't work and just provided an error. The 2nd one (net use i:\server\share /persistence:yes) provides an error but appeared to resolve the situation after restarting Windows 7.

Both command were run from a command prompt elevated to administrator.

Well, I thought this was fixed but it appeared to be temporary. The client called this morning and reported the same problem. I logged into her PC, ran the 2nd command, restarted and it's working again but I don't have confidence it will remain working after she logs off and on again.

If you have another suggestion, I welcome it.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:39 AM

Try uninstalling Eset or temporarily disabling it, just to make sure it's not blocking something. 

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users