Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it worth paying for Malwarebytes premium?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Greatwhite

Greatwhite

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:03 AM

I have been using the trial for the last month and it seems ok, but dont really understand if it is worth paying $60AU a year for it?!

I have Kaspersky as well which seems to do a good job, in that I never have any security related issues.

So as an average joe internet user (rarely any dodgy sites) is it worth buying?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:27 AM

Malwarebytes 3.x combines their Anti-Malware, Anti-Exploit, Anti-Ransomware, Website Protection into one product just called "Malwarebytes". It uses a combination of remediation technologies as well as proactive and signature-less technologies which were previously incorporated into their Anti-Exploit and Anti-Ransomware. The anti-ransomware protection component is only available on Windows 7 or higher. The Premium version includes a real-time Protection Module that uses advanced heuristics scanning technology to monitor your system, prevent access to and from known malicious webpages, and prevent the installation of most new malware, stopping malware distribution at the source. Malicious Website Blocking (IP Protection) is part of the Protection Module and works after it is enabled. When attempting to go to a potential malicious website, Malwarebytes will block the attempt and provide an alert. This technology dynamically blocks malicious webpages & servers, prevents the execution of malware, proactively monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. An example list of what is detected and removed can be found here.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Greatwhite

Greatwhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:18 PM

Kaspersky seems to do all that anyways.

ie when I use malwarebytes free and visit various websites that the premium version might block, I dont get malware in the scans.

#4 Frank-J

Frank-J

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:06 AM

I've been running MB Premium for a few years now. I'd recommend it if you've got the extra $$$. RTP heuristics scanning is one of the main reasons I run it. The free version will do you just fine if you don't feel as though it's worth the money. 

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,476 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:44 PM

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time and there is no universal "one size fits all" solution.

Every security vendor's lab uses different scanning engines and different detection methods. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. Scanning engines may use Heuristic Analysis, Behavioral Analysis, Sandboxing and Signature file detection (containing the binary patterns of known virus signatures) which can account for discrepancies in scanning outcomes. Depending on how often the anti-virus or anti-malware database is updated can also account for differences in threat detections. Further, each vendor has its own definition (naming standards) of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another.

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an effective anti-malware solution with real-time protection for maximum protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 12:11 PM

Hi all!

Please note that if you have Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Malwarebytes 3 Premium is redundant.

Emsisoft even has a relevant security blog post generally outlining this, which is available from here:

https://blog.emsisoft.com/2017/12/18/do-not-run-multiple-antivirus/

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#7 deancollins

deancollins

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:41 AM

I am using paid version and think it's worth to be paid for. 

#8 bob n steve

bob n steve

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 03:27 PM

for the past few years, i have been using both the emsisoft anti-malware and the malwarebytes premium.  i did this on the advice of a moderator here on BleepingComputer.  and my computer and internet have been working just fine.  but since Windows 10 April 2018 automatic update was installed, most connections are being "timed out".  someone suggested that running both programs is redundant, and may be the problem.  but isn't one an anti-virus and the other an anti-malware?  

#9 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:07 PM

Hi, bob n steve!

Emsisoft Anti-Malware is both an Anti-Virus and an Anti-Malware.

https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

Malwarebytes 3 Premium is an Anti-Malware, but not an Anti-Virus, despite their marketing tactics.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/premium/

As such, you do not need both Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes 3 Premium!

Do you want some undeniable proof?

Well, then please read about my personal experience here:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/667085/emsisoft-anti-malware-warning-message-you-appear-to-have-malwarebytes-installed/

As I did personally, I would recommend keeping Emsisoft Anti-Malware and degrade Malwarebytes 3 Premium to the free version, and as such, you avoid any issues such as you outlined.

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 13 August 2018 - 06:28 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#10 bob n steve

bob n steve

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:28 PM

thanks, midimusicman.  i just uninstalled malwarebytes premium, even though i have another 18 months prepaid.  but you made a great argument....

#11 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 682 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 06:37 PM

Hi again, bob n steve!

You are quite welcome! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

#12 Porthos

Porthos

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted Yesterday, 12:08 PM

thanks, midimusicman.  i just uninstalled malwarebytes premium, even though i have another 18 months prepaid.  but you made a great argument....

The issues he was having were 8 months ago. Malwarebytes has improved/changed in preformanceand protection abilities since then. I have 100's of clients on a Defender MB premium combination and not seen an infected client since Win 10 was released. My .02.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users