Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am unable to increase the % of HD used, & restore points keep getting deleted

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Greatwhite

Greatwhite

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:52 AM

I have tried the easy way to increase the space used, but it wont let me change it.

Here is a link which shows the steps I have tried.

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/quick-tip-shrink-the-size-used-by-windows-7-system-restore/

I dl a program called restore point creator and could increase the size with it, but found that my laptop would freeze, so have to delete that program and ironically restore it to an earlier time.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:12 AM

So how much Space on the Drive do you have ? 

If you set it to high it will delete the oldest each time.

How many Restore Points do you need ?

You need about 10 -15 % of the drive to be unused  anyway and then somemore if you are going to add more % for Restore Points.

I dont have any restore points , i just image my drive weekly { Externally } but i think 2-3 would be suffcient and after Updates Installed or a Program.

If your hard drive is full and has no space left , get a bigger Harddrive or remove unused App / Files / or Disk Cleanup.

#3 Greatwhite

Greatwhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:18 AM

So how much Space on the Drive do you have ? 

If you set it to high it will delete the oldest each time.

How many Restore Points do you need ?

500GB SSD.

I cant change anything so how can I set it to high?

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:03 AM

So how much free space is on it ?

You may have some other issue if you cant adjust it , others may assist with that.

Ccleaner can delete old restore Points and will leave the Last one [ Safety Reason }

Then you can Create one yourself as a test.

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:52 AM

Has System Restore ever worked properly?

Describe your antivirus/antimalware environment.

Do you have CCleaner installed and do you use it?

So far you've said it wont let me change it and I can't change anything but you have not described what happens when you try to change it.

In My Computer if you right click you SSD and choose properties tell us what you see for these values or include a screenshot like this:

Attached File  1.jpg   58.06KB   0 downloads

If you go to System Protection do you mean you can't click the Configure button, you click it and nothing happens, something happens and you still can't change the settings?

Describe what happens or post a screeshow which might look something like this:

Attached File  2.jpg   95.08KB   0 downloads

Edited by joseibarra, 02 August 2018 - 06:54 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 Greatwhite

Greatwhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:15 PM

System restore has worked but not sure if I this error always existed.  I only recently figured out what was wrong (restore points were been deleted and I had to increase the % of HD used to create restore points).

I have Kaspersky and nothing else.

I have ccleaner and use it about once a week or so.

The error message is "the filename directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect 0x8007007B" 

When I click configure I cannot even click ok, let alone change the volume/% used and click apply.

The SSD has around 140GB of free space atm so its not a space issue.

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2018 - 06:18 PM.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:23 PM

It would help to see a screenshot of the System Properties, System Protection tab...

Prior to this incident were there any new hard drives or SSDs installed or changed or anything to do with the system storage and f so describe those details.

I'll see if I can explain it...

That problem is usually caused when an invalid drive is selected to be monitored by System Restore.

Since Windows is usually installed on the C drive you would usually only have the C drive being monitored for System Restore but sometimes there might be two C drives that show up and the wrong one is selected.

Here is an example of a system where (for some reason) there are two C drives available and the wrong one is checked:

Attached File  1.jpg   52.1KB   0 downloads

You can look at that and tell the drive with the check mark is the wrong one because it does not have the Windows logo next to it or it may say "Missing" or something else that is not right.

You need to turn off System Protection uncheck/stop monitoring that afflicted drive and change things so the drive WITH the Windows logo is checked and being monitored like this example:

Attached File  2.jpg   74.52KB   0 downloads

It may take some fiddling but I think that's the problem.

Fixing that may relieve the system of the deleted restore points issue but just fix one things at a time...

Edited by joseibarra, 02 August 2018 - 11:31 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#8 Greatwhite

Greatwhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:37 PM

You need to turn off System Protection uncheck/stop monitoring that afflicted drive and change things so the drive WITH the Windows logo is checked and being monitored like this example:

That was the problem, thanks for that.

Turned it off and was able to make the changes.

Cheers

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:01 AM

Good job.

Now would be a good time to make a manual System Restore Point, restart your system and see if you can restore your system the the Restore Point you just made.

The day you need System Restore to work is not the day to find out it doesn't work.

I guess you;ll be monitoring the accumulation of RPs to make sure they stick around and something (like Kasperksy) isn't deleting them for you.

Edited by joseibarra, 03 August 2018 - 12:02 AM.

#10 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,085 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:33 AM

I Still wouldnt rely on System Restore to ever save you  .... 50/50 chance it will.

Most find out when its too late.....

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,223 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:48 AM

I don't rely on it either and when it is suggested as a first troubleshooting step I would like to ask "Would you be able to fix this problem if there was no such thing as System Restore?"

Let's see how good of a problem solver you are.

SR can be handy and I would suggest it before doing things that might result in a no boot scenario or if somebody makes a mistake with some operation that cripples the system, driver updates, registry edits - it is a quick way to get going again if something goes wrong.

It's nice when it works but it usually needs more skill and talent to be able to fix problems when those kinds of things don't work.

Edited by joseibarra, 03 August 2018 - 02:50 AM.

#12 Greatwhite

Greatwhite
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:53 AM

I Still wouldnt rely on System Restore to ever save you  .... 50/50 chance it will.

Most find out when its too late.....

It never really does anyways.

Whenever I have to do a SR I will normally do a full reboot to factory settings within a week or so.

SR never seems to fix anything 100% IMO.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users