Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need to backup system

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mrmatt

mrmatt

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:00 AM

Hello.

On this PC is W10 Home (64-bit).  Also installed is Macrium Reflect (free edition).  I am somewhat of a novice, so bear with me please.

Originally on this PC, there was an installation of W10, which went wrong and became unbootable.  Happily, my nephew was able to intervene and install another W10.

When the PC starts up there are two options offered - the current W10, and the old one (whiich has a command symbol next to it).  I have been told the old one is repairable.  Although there was no W10 DVD with the PC (it was bought seven years ago), and W7 was on a recovery partition, I did use Microsoft Media Creation Tooll to downloiad and make a USB stick with W10 on there.

Beforehand though, I would need to make a backup of the system.  Would I use Image, or Clone (I don't understand these things much) from Macrium.  I would appreciate a tutorial to help me for in the future, as well as any advice as to the best course of action to take, before trying the repair.

We have a Seagate USB backup drive.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:57 AM

Looks like you have 2 Installs of Win 10 , current and old if at boot you have a choice.

You could repair the old or delete it but you could run into issues if repairing and then you would still have 2 Win 10 installed.

We , or others would have to see your Partitons as they are now to direct you further , a snapshot / prtscr from Admin Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management { Im on Win 7 so it may be slightly different within Control Panel } or here ......http://www.tenuser.com/spec/diskmgmt.htm

and upload those  or run a Speccy report and upload that.

Speccy  =  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

To publish a Speccy profile to the Web:

1. In Speccy, click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
  2. In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
  3. Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot. You can open the URL in your default browser, copy it to the clipboard, or close the dialog box.

Myself i would Backup your personal Files and reinstall Win 10 from USB and ensure you delete all Partitons then install.

Win 10 install takes 30 min ,  and bit longer for the Updates to catch up and some configuring settings to your liking , mine took about 2 hrs for everything for a clean install { Fresh }.

Edited by Havachat, 02 August 2018 - 04:01 AM.

#3 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:53 AM

Speccy report:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/7rSYlKZPuisMDde3nb3HatB

#4 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:54 AM

Personally, I was hoping I would be able to repair the old W10 installation, and see what programs, documents, bookmarks and files etc were on there.  Then when we have established what we need, we would get rid of that installation.  Or am I wrong?

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:53 PM

You're wanting to repair the old Windows 10 is not wrong or right -- such totally depends upon what is "logically" wrong with it.  By "logically" I mean if a hardware problem is not the cause, then that leaves us with only software problem(s).  As far as Macrium Reflect either cloning or full imaging the hard-drive or just the partitions -- that depends.  How large is the internal hard-drive?  How large is the Seagate backup drive?  Both cloning and full imaging have their respective advantages and trade-offs.  I am not on the computer constantly, so I have no way to walk you through much of anything.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:50 AM

Personally, I was hoping I would be able to repair the old W10 installation, and see what programs, documents, bookmarks and files etc were on there.  Then when we have established what we need, we would get rid of that installation.  Or am I wrong?

If you can Post an Image of your partitions that would help firstly , to me it looks like Partition 3 is the new Install of win 10 { D:\ }
And you have a Recovery Partition 0 of 15 Gig i assume is the Old Win 7 that came with it originally.
My Win 10 has 3 = Recovery 500mb / EFI SYS 99mb / C:\ Boot - Pagefile etc.

Im not an expert on Windows 10 and messing with Partitons on it , i cant advise you to Delete one or the other , and if the old is not working or booting , you could load a Linux Distro and boot from it to see what files are there to salvage.

Hopefully someone else may jump in and Guide you in the next approach after looking at your Partition structure { Image }.

Attached Files

Edited by Havachat, 04 August 2018 - 02:54 AM.

#7 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 09:30 AM

I tried posting a Speccy report.   Can someone remind me please how to do a screen grab with PrtScrn?

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,914 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 10:43 AM

I tried posting a Speccy report.   Can someone remind me please how to do a screen grab with PrtScrn?

You do not post a Speccy Report with a screen grab, you use Speccy's built-in "Publish a Snapshot" feature.  See:

Publish a Speccy system snapshot and provide the web address for it in your message.  Here are downloadable step-by-step instructions

for doing this:
                     - Using Speccy,  PDF Format 
                     - Using Speccy,  MS-Word Format

Under Windows 10 if you actually want a full screen shot hitting Windows Key + PrtSc will create one in Pictures/Screenshots.  If you want a windowed screen shot you can use WinKey+ALT+PrtSc, but it's odd in that it uses a feature of Xbox to create it and it ends up in your Videos library even though it is a fixed screen shot.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#9 mrmatt

mrmatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 186 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:44 PM

Here goes, 2nd try with Speccy:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/dhoFUorknF8Vm4blx46glAq

#10 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2018 - 06:46 AM

Your first Speccy Report was fine , didnt need a second one.

A screen grab as Brian suggested for Win 10 will work.

I took a my photo of Screen with my Mobile Phone and transferred to Laptop , then used the More Reply Options to Attach in Post.

You can just hit "PrtScr"  then Open Paint / RClick and Paste / Save as Jpeg.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users