Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preventing Video and Picture Files From Going Corrupt

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mathiasneedshelp84

Mathiasneedshelp84

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:10 AM

Hi Everyone,

I'm worried that some of my picture and video files from 10 years ago could end up going corrupt. If I was to use photo-editing software like Photoshop for my picture files, and video-editing software for video files, and made a new copy of them, saved in a different format i.e jpeg to png, and something similar for video files. Would this be the answer to preventing data loss? Even if the originals die out in the future? Or is this not such a good idea?

I just have some very important family photos that I can't afford to lose. If anyone has any suggestions, about what would be the best way to keep my data safe, even if it involves money, please let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:35 AM

Your best bet is to get an External Hard Drive and backup your files to that , then they are in the same format as they are now.

Changing the Format with Photoshop or jpg to png will be time consuming or if done as batch files not necessary.

Just use the Backup Drive to backup you files , and dont access it all the time { Read / Write }.

I have 2 Backups of everything to external drives , small 6 x 1-2 Tb drives and then all to 2 x 8TB Drives

You can use DVD Discs but thats not always a foolproof answer , as they can deteriorate due to light , or easily scratched , unless stored correctly.

I have dvd discs 10 yrs old and still work ok , but i rely more on a External Hard Drive for Backups

#3 Mathiasneedshelp84

Mathiasneedshelp84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:29 AM

Hi Havachat,

Thank you for responding to my post. I have 2 6tb hard drives both are the exact same model made by Western Digital. I do back my files up to them quite frequently. My windows computer has about 1TB of storage in total. I tend to use my external hard drives a lot. Is this necessarily a bad thing? Because I obviously am worried about files becoming corrupt. To add some information to this; I bought them at the same time from Officeworks in 2017. I have accumulated a lot of files over the past 4 or 5 years.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:56 AM

Everyone does is different....but if you want the Backups to be prestine then just store them on the backup drives and leave them.

Accessing them frequently or moved around may store them on the drive on different sectors and they can go bad but its not that critical as bad sectors when scanned can be skipped , and that can lead to some corruption.

Or files moved around alot can also cause Defragmentation and on large drives will take awhile to defragment and sort { Hrs }. 

I run a 500 SSD , C:\ 80 Gig Operating System and then the rest 380 Gig as D:\ Storage and move from there to External when required.

So D Drive to External 2TB and then later to the 8TB as the Main Backup { Holding Place } if you still need to play around with the files you can use the 2TB files and cleanup the D drive to regain space back.....thets what i do.

#5 Mathiasneedshelp84

Mathiasneedshelp84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:47 AM

Okay, so now that I know that it's best not to frequently use my main backup external hard drives. But just another question on cd's and dvd's; is there any brand in particular you would recommend to buy? Or, are they all the same? And how long do they last usually?

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:56 AM

Again on DVD as allready stated above { 10 yrs old in a Case and work fine { Movies } , i havent used for years over 8yrs anyway , only USB , Micro Sd  now..

But for general Movies , Large Files , etc i use them to give to others when needed { i dont want them back }.

I used to use DVD - R   Ritek , so others may answer this or start a thread on that.

#7 Mathiasneedshelp84

Mathiasneedshelp84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:33 AM

Okay then, thank you for all your help. I feel I have peace of mind now on this topic, and will now know how to use my external hard drives properly. Thanks for your time Havachat.

#8 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 02:25 AM

No Probs ....your welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users