Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ive bricked my laptop and would very much appreciate some guidance

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 preztone

preztone

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:13 AM

So, as stated above, I've done something rather silly to my laptop.

I believe it is a known issue,

I have an Acer E5-553 which i managed to get stuck on an update window stating "please wait while we install updates"

Due to some possible incompetence by me (agreed to install some windows updates whilst my network adapter was disabled)

It stayed there for 24 hours before I looked for what may be wrong.

There are multiple topics online about this happening to other Acer laptop owners, and the fix was to reflash the original BIOS file to the laptop and they began working again, the problem is I cannot find the .FD file for my specific laptop anywhere,

Also due to my incompetence most likely...

So basically I'm here to find out which forum to post this annoying question in, or if someone here knows where i can find the correct BIOS file that would be grand.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2018 - 02:38 PM.
Moved from System Bldg to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:01 AM

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/ID/content/support-product/6749?b=1

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:43 AM

On a modern computer you usually need to be in Windows to do the flash. When you boot the computer how far does it get. Do you see the Acer logo at boot?

I just downloaded your BIOS in a zip file. The Readme.txt file

How to update the BIOS: 
Click "ZABA_119.exe" under Winodows mode

#4 preztone

preztone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:23 PM

Thanks Joe C you da man.
JohnC I'm under the impression you can reflash via a USB stick.
Laptop is off, plug in usb, then hold fn + esc, connect power cord, press power, stop holding fn + esc .

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:48 PM

How far do you get in the boot cycle? You say the computer is bricked. Do you get past the Acer Logo?

I am not sure about the fn + esc method but that's entirely possible. 

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:53 PM

Bricked usually means you have turned the PC (or Mac) into a brick/doorstop by installing a BIOS for the wrong hardware.  I've only done it once in 42 years of fixing these things.  If this is what you've done, you get no beep, no wheedle, nothing; the power stays on with no cursor at all.

So, is it really bricked?

If it is, you had better hope there is some mechanism for BIOS RECOVERY.  Nothing else will be useful.

Edited by DavisMcCarn, 02 August 2018 - 03:53 PM.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#7 preztone

preztone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:03 PM

Yeah. So it won't display the acer logo. It boots up, blue led comes on. If power is connected the orange led is on. The backlight of the screen turns on and off intermittently and the fan comes on .

I have used the key combo to see if it will accept a file via USB and the blue led begins to flash as it is supposed to. Which gives me slight hope.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:21 PM

Just curious but if you tap F2 at boot can you get to your UEFI/BIOS settings?

#9 preztone

preztone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:56 PM

Just curious but if you tap F2 at boot can you get to your UEFI/BIOS settings?

Will have to check this when I get home from work before I try what I was thinking..
What's your advice if I can get into the bios?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:03 PM

Before flashing the bios I would pull power brick the battery if easily accessible and then hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Try booting. If that doesn't help then see if you can flash the firmware using your method.

#11 preztone

preztone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:17 PM

Brick the battery? So do you mean try booting with no battery and just the power cable?
I'm pretty inexperienced so I might need a little more advice.
Also what do you recommend if my computer can get into it's bios with f2?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:35 PM

Sorry, I forgot an and. If a laptop detach your power brick/cord from the computer and remove the battery if easily accessible then hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the battery and power cord. Try booting.

#13 preztone

preztone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:46 PM

Ah ok thanks I'll try that first :)

#14 preztone

preztone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:20 AM

Couldn't get to the battery with my rusty screwdriver. And couldn't get into the bios by holding f2 on startup. Also if the laptop is plugged in after a period of time the fan may randomly turn on to full speed.

So that's where I stand..is flashing the bios my next step?

Also in terms of data retention, if I flash the bios is everything gone?

#15 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:29 AM

First; no, you won't alter the contents of the hard disk drive if you flash the BIOS.  The BIOS is the firmware that gets executed every time the PC boots.

Second; though, according to page 13 of your user manual ( https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Document/User%20Manual%20W10/User%20Manual%20W10_Acer_1.0_A_A.pdf?acerid=636350239422462002&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE E5-553&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=AAP_1 ) (from the link Joe C posted), there is a battery reset pinhole on the bottom of your laptop and it says to press it for four seconds to reset the battery.  That is well worth a try!

The key is in understanding that all modern electronic devices are really on, a little bit, 24/7/365 and removing the battery, unplugging the ac adapter, and then holding down the power button, forces many laptops to drain completely so it is really, really, off.  If the device gets into a screwed up power state, nothing short of completely removing all power will (sometimes) fix it.  This, as a note, is also true of TV sets, printers, etc. where unplugging them from the wall outlet for five minutes will often let them turn on and work again.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users