Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Costs of Photography Studios

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:59 PM

My wife and I are interested in getting some recent photos made of ourselves to share with children and grandchildren, We want good quality photos so we contacted various studios near us. I was dumbfounded at the prices quoted. We realize that photographers have quite an investment in their equipment but, I have to be honest, seems exorbitant. Let me give an example.

Most want an up front cost of $200 to $300. This is like a retainer for a lawyer. However the up front cost includes anywhere from 6 to 8 images (poses) of your choosing. Then they will be digitized and the link will be sent to your computer. Now if you want good photos made you then are required to upload to a photo lab, where you have an additional cost per photo. Their costs vary by size and quantity. Anywhere from $10 and up and they mail to your home.

If you have the photographer do all this, their price was quoted as $30 to $40 per 8x10 and $10 to $15 for 5x7. I guess I must have pulled a "Rip Van Winkle" and lost touch with reality. It's just hard for me to wrap my head around these costs.

Before anyone suggests smartphones, let me just say our phones suit their purpose, and see no need for such devices. Besides there seems to be a lot of difference in quality from phone to phone.

Most portrait studios and such are few and far between, Olan Mills, etc.

We are looking for alternatives

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:15 PM

If they are on a pen drive or disk CVS is fairly reasonable.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,728 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:43 PM

A good quality inkjet printer and good quality glossy or semi-matt photo paper (a matter of taste) and you could at least print them yourselves. Even if you find yourself going through two or three prints before you find settings you are happy with it would work out a lot cheaper than $30 - 40 per print.

Canon and HP printers have a good name for photographic printing.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:45 PM

Check Groupon.com for your area. Do a search for Photography.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:20 AM

I have been an avid photographer for decades, still have and use a Minolta X-370 with 6 different lenses.  Yes, real 35 MM film.  I have tens of thousands of negatives and half as many prints.  I don't get prints anymore, just process for negatives only and scan the negs into my PC with 4250 by 3670 resolution.  File sizes up to 25 MB but superior quality, beyond any cell phone or non-professional digital unit.  The advantage is the inter-changable lenses and the ability to adjust aperature, shutter speed, focus points and depth of field.  Even most pro units can't match this with $10K. gear.  I do portraits and event photos that rival anything a pro can do.  Printing on photo paper at 4800 DPI yields photos that are as good as any printing process by a developer.

#6 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:59 AM

If they are on a pen drive or disk CVS is fairly reasonable.

Yes, and Walgreen's also. However they do not calibrate their equipment daily and while the quality is fair, it is not what I'm after.

A good quality inkjet printer and good quality glossy or semi-matt photo paper (a matter of taste) and you could at least print them yourselves. Even if you find yourself going through two or three prints before you find settings you are happy with it would work out a lot cheaper than $30 - 40 per print.

Canon and HP printers have a good name for photographic printing.

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks Chris for your suggestion. I have an All-In-One Epson Stylus NX110 that does pretty well with pictures and it functions fine for my needs and see no reason to replace it with a $200 Pro inkjet .

Check Groupon.com for your area. Do a search for Photography.

Thanks, but already did that.

I have been an avid photographer for decades, still have and use a Minolta X-370 with 6 different lenses.  Yes, real 35 MM film.  I have tens of thousands of negatives and half as many prints.  I don't get prints anymore, just process for negatives only and scan the negs into my PC with 4250 by 3670 resolution.  File sizes up to 25 MB but superior quality, beyond any cell phone or non-professional digital unit.  The advantage is the inter-changable lenses and the ability to adjust aperature, shutter speed, focus points and depth of field.  Even most pro units can't match this with $10K. gear.  I do portraits and event photos that rival anything a pro can do.  Printing on photo paper at 4800 DPI yields photos that are as good as any printing process by a developer.

Well thank you for giving the details on your background. You wouldn't, by any chance, be close by and offer senior citizen discounts, would you? :rolleyes:

#7 PerspectiveObjective

PerspectiveObjective

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:40 PM

Do you live close to a University?

Possible source maybe worth mentioning... a couple years ago depending on the location and University of course::::::

Any basic photo, or COREL creation or photoshop toy creations could be made into a crystal clear poster for five dollars a poster. [Then it was $$$8 then 12 then some didn't even offer it anymore, just small pictures. So nice.]]
You just gave them a copy of the file and asked them kindly NOT TO TOUCH IT WITH ANY OF THEIR FAVOURITE FILTER TOYS, i.e. / e.g. ' leave it alone with your silly photoshop training tripe.'

Like some things that worked well and very cost effective because some were savvy and researched were to find such services . . . . of course, someone, director etc. etc. title came along and nixed the low cost, here and there eventually.

However, I mention this because it might still be a bit lower than 'professional photography' photo services ESPECIALLY in large cities, yes, agree, prices are outer-exoSTELLAR!!!!!! instead of lower and lower like they should be.

Edit: added comment and also::: e.g. instead of only i.e.

Edited by PerspectiveObjective, 02 August 2018 - 01:47 PM.

Oh those are really nice, where`d you get them done at? YOUR NAILS SILLY! Banter/Wit is a primary member requirement to colossal project solution.  Not to toot my horn......          (                (        (       (     :trumpet: but, who else will!? teeehehehehehheeee!~~~8 : P Additionally::: "Do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoga

#8 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:52 PM

Do you live close to a University?

Unfortunately no, but thanks for the thought.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,799 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:27 PM

I live in the central valley of California. Town of Ceres, 75 miles due east of San Fran.  I have done weddings and such but don't have an indoor studio for formal stuff but the area is surrounded with excellent natural outdoor settings.  Senior citizen discounts??  Never thought of that before, don't get any calls from the elder group.

Edited by mjd420nova, 02 August 2018 - 06:30 PM.

#10 sikntired

sikntired
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,002 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:47 AM

I live in the central valley of California. Town of Ceres, 75 miles due east of San Fran.  I have done weddings and such but don't have an indoor studio for formal stuff but the area is surrounded with excellent natural outdoor settings.  Senior citizen discounts??  Never thought of that before, don't get any calls from the elder group.

Thanks, but that's a little far for us. We live in Missouri.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users