Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any recomendations for a security software pack (Not Bitdefender)?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rainmaker91

Rainmaker91

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:06 PM

So, I have been using bitdefender for a year and a half now with my first paid subscription being through the humble bundle of fall 2016. I then promptly upgraded to Bitdefender TotalySecurity when my subscription was ending. Unfortunately I have always had some issues with the software, particularily how it tends to be far to overprotective and especially because even if I whitelist software that I was already flagged as a false positive it keeps blocking it and deleting my files.

The last part has just become unbearable as of late, so I'm just giving up on Bitdefender on all my devices (Event though I still have 97 days left on my subscription). If it won't let me control my own computer then I don't want to use it.

So, since I tend to find answers to most of my security issues on this forum (though I'm just now creating a profile) I figured I would ask for recommendations here. So if you know of a good security suite for private use that you would recommend, feel free to post about it and I'll take a look at their offerings (under 100$ a year would be nice).

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to read my humble request.

Edited by Rainmaker91, 01 August 2018 - 05:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 764 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:14 PM

Hi, Rainmaker91 and Welcome to BC! :welcome:

I would recommend Emsisoft Anti-Malware, which is paid Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware and available from here:

https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

The download version of Emsisoft Anti-Malware is a fully functioning 30-day trial version featuring real-time multi-layered AV/AM protection, which automatically reverts to the free version for on-demand malware scanning when the trial is over. Continuing to use the real-time protection requires purchasing a license, and there is a 12% discount if buying a 2-year license and a 20% discount for a 3-year license.

Regards,
midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:32 PM

If you don't mind paying, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they are effective and offer excellent behavior blocking and anti-exploit protection against ransomware but leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance. The most recent release of Emsisoft Anti-Malware includes an Anti-Malware Anti-Ransomware module.

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of warning/detecting the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature.

eam_pup_728x574_en.png

See my comments in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program for more specific details as to why I recommend ESET and Emsisoft.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Greatwhite

Greatwhite

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:36 AM

I have had Kaspersky for maybe 10 years and have had zero problems since first buying it.

I would get a virus or something maybe once a year before that, but nothing since.

KIS 3 PCs over 2 years for only $28.60

Ridiculously cheap IMO.

https://www.techbuy.com.au/p/422508/SOFTWARE_ANTI-VIRUS/Kaspersky/KIS-32.asp

You might have to email them if they dont refund the shipping costs (its a download so no shipping) but you will get it refunded.

#5 Rainmaker91

Rainmaker91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:24 AM

Hi, Rainmaker91 and Welcome to BC! :welcome:
Regards,
midimusicman79

Thank you :)

I would recommend Emsisoft Anti-Malware, which is paid Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware and available from here:

https://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/antimalware/

Regards,
midimusicman79

If you don't mind paying, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they are effective and offer excellent behavior blocking and anti-exploit protection against ransomware but leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance. The most recent release of Emsisoft Anti-Malware includes an Anti-Malware Anti-Ransomware module.

See my comments in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program for more specific details as to why I recommend ESET and Emsisoft.

I have had Kaspersky for maybe 10 years and have had zero problems since first buying it.

I would get a virus or something maybe once a year before that, but nothing since.

I will take a look at all of those three alternatives, as it so happens I have been eying Kaspersky for a while as I used it way back in the day as a better alternative to Norton and Norman (sometime before 2010 I think). Still I'll take a look around, but it's good to have some recommendations from people who as far as I know understand what they are talking about rather than the random shilling of stuff everywhere.

Oh, and yes. I don't mind paying for security software as long as I know that it works well, and I figured out a long time ago that when I had the means to do so I would start paying for proper security software, and while free software works remarkably well they always have some dramatical drawbacks in one form or another.

Edit: After looking at the options mentioned, I am somewhat concerned about the malware/ad-ware capabilities of the software. Not so much as to what they are able to stop, but rather if they consistently will allow me to properly whitelist software that I know for a fact is clean. To be clear with both Bitdefender Internet Security and Total Security I never had any issues with their anti-malware/Anti-virus capabilities as they both did a really good job on that. My issue was always that it would be far to overprotective and not properly let me decide when something is safe to use. So with most of the software you recommended offering similar capabilities I am concerned about whether or not they will properly let me control what is safe or not. I do tend to leave security software to do it's own thing, but I want the ability to properly whitelist software if need be.

Edited by Rainmaker91, 02 August 2018 - 08:51 AM.

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 764 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:14 AM

Hi again, Rainmaker91!

I can only speak for Emsisoft Anti-Malware, because I have it myself, and here are instructions for whitelisting software (with screenshots):

https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/24961/emsisoft-feature-highlight-exclusions-for-scanning-and-monitoring/

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#7 Rainmaker91

Rainmaker91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:42 AM

Hi again, Rainmaker91!

I can only speak for Emsisoft Anti-Malware, because I have it myself, and here are instructions for whitelisting software (with screenshots):

https://blog.emsisoft.com/en/24961/emsisoft-feature-highlight-exclusions-for-scanning-and-monitoring/

Regards,

midimusicman79

That sounds great, I might give the 30 day trail a try then.

#8 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 764 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:38 AM

Hi again, Rainmaker91!

Please note that rather than whitelisting software, you can instead report it to Emsisoft as false positives, and here are instructions on doing that:

https://helpdesk.emsisoft.com/en-us/article/295-how-to-handle-detected-threats

I am sure others will post similar relevant information for their respective security software recommendations. :whistle:

I would obviously recommend purchasing a 3-year license, in order to save as much as possible, also when renewing your license. :thumbup2:

With pleasure... please enjoy and good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 02 August 2018 - 11:50 AM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:20 PM

Alternatively, you can Contact Emsisoft Support (False alerts) directly and send the file causing the detection to: fp@emsisoft.com or report it at the Emsisoft False positives forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 764 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:12 PM

Hi again, Rainmaker91!

Please uninstall BitDefender Total Security with the Paid Uninstall Tool which is available for free from here (please pick the right year version):

https://www.bitdefender.com/site/view/uninstall_consumer_paid.html

Please also read this article on Safe Steps for Replacing your Anti-virus:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2316638

Good luck! :)

Regards,
midimusicman79

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users