Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reinstalling Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jamessync

jamessync

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:06 PM

Background:
My friend has 2 laptops. One was an ASUS, hit with a virus and he lost the charging cord. The second one is a Samsung with a failing HDD. The Samsung would not boot Windows at all so I downloaded the Windows 10 media onto a thumb drive. Everything was running smoothly until I had to select a partition to download it onto. Windows noticed the HDD was failing and would not let me proceed. I decided to try to use the ASUS HDD in the Samsung. Again, Windows would not boot so I tried to repeat the reinstall via the thumb drive. Unfortunately I cannot get passed the Windows logo and spinning circle beneath it; it just goes to a black screen that I have to hard reset to get out of.

Tests:
- The files on the USB are recognized on a working computer. 
- The USB is recognized in the boot menu on the Samsung.
- I have tried all 3 USB ports on the laptop.
- I have tried the default boot order and with USB on top.
- Tried pressing F12 on the BIOS boot for PXE, but get: "Media test failure, check cable." Which then tries to boot from the USB and I run into the black screen. 
- I contacted Samsung support and after a couple minutes of the agent telling me random BS, they tried to redirect me to having a tech come out. I told him I know my way technically around computers, but I don't think they knew anything.
- The BIOS menu is very small on here and does not give me an option for Boot Mode, only for Priority. 

I can't seem to find anything else I can do to reinstall Windows on this and for the life of me can't figure out how changing the HDD affected the laptops ability to boot from USB. I tried seeking help in Tom's Guide, but have gotten zero help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:12 PM

Does the USB boot when there is no drive in the laptop? I'm assuming there is no optical drive on the Samsung, correct?

#3 jamessync

jamessync
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:18 PM

Does the USB boot when there is no drive in the laptop? I'm assuming there is no optical drive on the Samsung, correct?

There is an optical drive, but it was easier for me to download the Windows 10 software to a USB. Seeing as that worked fine the first time (when I ran into the dead HDD) and it was being noticed in the BIOS that the USB was sufficient.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:04 PM

Does the USB boot with no hard drive in the Samsung? If not then I would create another bootable USB flash drive or DVD using an iso of Windows 10.

Download the iso file of Windows 10 using the media creation tool or by direct download using the Windows iso downloader.

Use Rufus with the iso to create the bootable USB flash drive. I don't know if the Samsung has UEFI or a Legacy BIOS but from what you mentioned it seems to be a Legacy BIOS. Select MBR for a partition scheme in Rufus. If the Samsung is UEFI then select GPT. Leave all boxes as checked. Click the Select Button and browse to the iso file. 

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

#5 jamessync

jamessync
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:46 PM

Does the USB boot with no hard drive in the Samsung? If not then I would create another bootable USB flash drive or DVD using an iso of Windows 10.

Download the iso file of Windows 10 using the media creation tool or by direct download using the Windows iso downloader.

Use Rufus with the iso to create the bootable USB flash drive. I don't know if the Samsung has UEFI or a Legacy BIOS but from what you mentioned it seems to be a Legacy BIOS. Select MBR for a partition scheme in Rufus. If the Samsung is UEFI then select GPT. Leave all boxes as checked. Click the Select Button and browse to the iso file. 

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

I will try these when I has a free moment. If I remove the HDD and boot through USB, I am assuming I would have to reinsert the HDD once I come to a download location.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:51 PM

I'm just trying to confirm if it's the HDD that is causing the problem. Sata is hot swap-able but I've never done it with a laptop. I would be hesitant to do it. 

#7 jamessync

jamessync
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:55 PM

So with the HDD removed it goes through the prompt for Windows to install (If the HDD is inserted and removed when the screen goes black it will go into the install). Reinserting the HDD powers down the computer.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:12 PM

That is strange. I have no idea on why it's doing that. The only thing I can think of is to wipe the drive. If it can't be done with a boot disk like Hirens then I would connect the drive to another computer using a USB adapter. Wipe the drive and see if that makes a difference. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users