Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server 2008 R2 - Devices & Printers Delayed Actions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Neptude

Neptude

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:57 AM

I am installing 10 new replacement printers on Windows Server 2008 R2. They are a mixture of Kyocera and HP laserjets. I uninstalled all the old Kyocera printers then installed the new HP and Kyocera printers using the latest drivers from each manufacturer's website. The printers were working without issue. I then shared each of the printers and was going to start creating group policy preferences rules when I tried to right click on one of the printers in Devices and Printers and I had to wait around 140 seconds before the context menu appeared. I then clicked 'Printer Properties' and had to wait the same amount of time before the dialogue showed.

I then uninstalled all the printers and then reinstalled just the Kyorcera printers. Same problem. I repeated the process, uninstalling the Kyocera printers and installing a single HP printer. Same problem.

I checked task manager while waiting for the right click context menu to show to find the spoolsv.exe process was showing 25 CPU. When I killed the Printer Spooler service the right click menu showed immediately. I started the service again to find the right click delay still present. Of course, when the printer spooler isn't running, I can access the Printer Properties.

I've run sfc.exe /scannow and there are no issue. Windows explorer right clicks shows the context menu without any delay, the problem only happens within the Devices and Printers window.

Has anyone had a similar issue, or could cast some light on this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Neptude

Neptude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:19 PM

I've checked System32\Spool\Printers for any files. The folder is empty.

#3 Neptude

Neptude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:27 AM

I removed the Print and Document Services role from the Server Manager and it sorted out the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users