Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I hate the latest window 10 update

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 david4121

david4121

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:29 AM

Can i revert it back to previous update?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:01 AM

yes....do a system restore

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:18 AM

I really don't understand how one could "hate the latest update" unless something is actually going wrong that's not supposed to.

It would be helpful for you to identify what it is that's giving you problems.  Rolling back to Version 1709 (or even just undoing the latest cumulative update) will not make later updates stay away permanently.  They will be applied later.

If there is some instability in your system that is making the result after an update is applied unsatisfactory that should be addressed, whether before the update applies again or after it's been applied.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:07 PM

Are you talking about the July update or the April update? What version and build are you running?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:10 PM

By the way, this will only work if System Protection is active.   There seems to be an "odd split" in Windows 10 installations where a large number of them do not have System Protection turned on.

It is always worth checking to be certain about that, particularly after each feature update.   I've never had mine turned off by a feature update, but others report that they have.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:43 PM

By the way, this will only work if System Protection is active.

how do you check that?....id like to check mine

#7 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:19 PM

It's not active, unless you set to be. Unfortunately, Windows 10 doesn't have this on by default. Type "system restore" in the search box.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:32 AM

Control Panel, System, System Protection link.

Contrary to popular lore it is not "off by default" under Windows 10, but it is "unpredictable by default" under Windows 10.  I've seen far more systems with it on than off, but I have seen systems with it off and where I have absolutely no reason to believe that the end user turned it off.  There are also plenty of reports of people checking and finding that System Protection is off.

I have also never had it be turned off after a feature update, either.

~ Austin O'Malley

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:39 AM

I think that we lost the OP.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:52 PM

Rocky, quite possibly, but not for lack of attempting to get the information required in order to give an answer.  The information that's on this thread is useful on its own, too.

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:42 PM

Control Panel, System, System Protection link.

mine is turned on.....and i have never fooled with that setting since my fresh install about a year ago

Edited by mikey11, 02 August 2018 - 05:42 PM.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,114 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:51 PM

I've seen far more systems with the longstanding typical setting, System Protection ON, than I have with it OFF, though I do not doubt a number of those reporting that it was OFF on their machines who state that they did not fool with that setting, either.

It takes a few moments to check, and it's worth checking.  That being said, I have learned to never rely on System Restore, as I have had times when all available restore points fail.  Those times are relatively rare, but not so rare that I don't expect it could happen again.  I am a huge believer in using an external backup drive and taking full system image backups immediately prior to, and immediately after, any major system update or when you've installed enough software or created enough new user data that you'd want to rend your clothing, slash your wrists, and emit a deep, primal scream if you had to do any of it all over again.  It's not like that generally happens on a daily basis, either.  But if you've just uploaded several thousand photos or spent a couple of days converting many CDs into MP3 files most of us would really, really prefer to have this all backed up ASAP.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users