Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to hibernate the computer causes it to shut down.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Candentia

Candentia

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:37 AM

Ever since the last time my computer had to go through a forced update (the kind where it tells you an update will occur in a matter of minutes, so you have to save everything and can't cancel it or postpone it any longer) it has been having this issue where every time I try to hibernate the computer, it shuts down instead.

To be more specific, what occurs is that I try to hibernate, and then the computer seems to do so immediately. However, after that, the LED light remains on for a solid ten minutes or so, and then it turns off. When I turn on the computer, no session is saved.

In addition to this whenever I do turn off the computer, my Xbox One controller disconnects from its wireless dongle, causing me to have to remove the dongle physically and then plug it back in order to them go through the recognition process. This did not occur in the past whenever I intentionally shut down my computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:23 AM

I recommend Sleep over Hibernate as the hibernation file, hiberfil.sys, can get corrupted and cause all sorts of problems. That being said I would do the following.

Disable Fast Startup. This is a hybrid shutdown that uses the hibernation file for supposedly faster startups but this can cause issues too.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-windows-10-fast-startup

Once Fast Startup is disabled open an elevated command prompt. Windows key + X > command prompt as admin. Probably will be called Powershell.

Type the following commands

powercfg.exe /h off
shutdown /s /f /t 0

This will delete the hiberfil.sys file and remove the setting from Windows.

Boot the computer and type the following commands.

powercfg.exe /h on
shutdown /s /f /t 0

Boot. Enable Fast Startup if you wish but I would avoid it. See if you can now hibernate.

See this thread and the posts by BC member jenae.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/681384/unable-to-put-windows-10-pc-to-sleep/

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 August 2018 - 08:24 AM.

#3 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:36 AM

Hi, windows has a special file called hiberfil.sys it's where data from hibernate is stored, this file can become corrupted. It can be deleted and then recreated by windows. Press the win + x keys together, select Powershell(admin) from the options. copy the below cmd and right click anywhere in the powershell window the cmd wil append to the prompt, press enter.

powercfg /h off  (you receive no confirmation after running these cmds)

Restart computer and open powershell again (as shown) this time copy this cmd :-

powercfg /h on (press enter), a new, non corrupt version of hiberfil.sys will be created.

Test your hibernate now. 

NOTE:- 

You need to go to folder options "view" to "Show hidden files, folders and drives" and also uncheck the box "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" in order to see the file, it is located at c:\hiberfil.sys.

It is good practice to undo this afterwards.

Edited by jenae, 01 August 2018 - 08:38 AM.

#4 Candentia

Candentia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:18 AM

I have just tested the hibernate function now and it worked as it should after disabling fast startup and entering the commands. I am not sure as to if the problem is actually fixed as it has successfully hibernated before in some specific cases, so I will have to confirm some while later as typically that is when it was significantly more likely to have the problems I mentioned in the opening post.

I also attempted to use the sleep function, however it seems that actually had the exact same issues as hibernate did. Is there another file to repeat the process with on Sleep, and does it seem normal that Sleep would likewise be glitched? (I have no idea if the two functions are related on a software level.)

Edited by Candentia, 01 August 2018 - 09:20 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:28 AM

As far as I know Sleep does not have a "file". I'm not sure why you got a shutdown during sleep. I once had a problem where if I put the computer to sleep it would never come out of sleep but it was never a full shutdown. That turned out to be the PSU. There may be sleep state settings in your UEFI/BIOS. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/system-sleeping-states

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 August 2018 - 09:37 AM.

#6 Candentia

Candentia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:34 AM

Attempting to hibernate my computer again only a few minutes since my last post has caused the issue to resurface in the exact same form, including the inability for my wireless controller to figure out where the dongle is and my wired internet connection taking some moments to actually recognize its connected. (I forgot to mention the latter part in the first post.)

I didn't enable fast startup again, and I'm thinking the issue is likely deeper due to these additional consequences...

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:15 PM

Hi, press the win + x keys together, select "Powershell(admin)" from the options. Copy the below cmd and right click anywhere in the powershell window, the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter.

powercfg -energy
start C:\windows\system32\energy-report.html

The system will run a trace for 60+ secs, wait till the screen tells you it is finished, and you see the start c:\windows.....cmd appear, now press enter again, the report will open in your browser.

Save the report to your desktop, then zip it up, and attach the .zip file to your response, we can then open it. This forum will not let you post .html files.

#8 Candentia

Candentia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 01:29 AM

I've attached the file, it specifies how my wireless controller is having problems too. (It doesn't when I shut down intentionally, while it does when I hibernate/sleep.)

Attached Files

Edited by Candentia, 02 August 2018 - 01:29 AM.

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:03 AM

Hi, perform a clean boot and test hibernate.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

#10 Candentia

Candentia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:22 AM

After performing the clean boot, the same issue occurs. Hibernate functioned as intended when I tried to hibernate 5 minutes after clean booting, however another attempt made after 20 minutes caused the shutdown as well.

#11 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:25 AM

Hi, well lets hope it's not a Ram problem. I would change power scheme from balanced to high performance, For a desktop high performance is usual, test hibernate now.

This site has a lot of detail on hibernate and many additional links within the site to further diagnose the problem. I take it you have tried running sfc /scannow and Dism / online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, from an elevated cmd prompt. Difficult for us as we are not in front of your computer.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7468-hibernate-computer-windows-10-a.html

Have a good look through the links, make sure all your settings are correct.

We could benefit by getting more info regarding your machine, open a cmd prompt as admin, and copy paste ALL the following cmd:-

echo > 0 & systeminfo >> 0 & WMIC /Node:localhost /Namespace:\\root\SecurityCenter2 Path AntiVirusProduct Get displayName /format:list >> 0 & wmic PATH Win32_VideoController GET Description,PNPDeviceID /format:list >> 0 & wmic logicaldisk where drivetype=3 get Name, Compressed, Description, FreeSpace /format:list >> 0 & tasklist /v >> 0 & net start >> 0 & echo >> 0 & notepad 0

Notepad will open with a lot of data save it to desktop call it data.txt and use the "More reply options" to attach the file here.

#12 Candentia

Candentia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:07 AM

I tried hibernating on high performance, the trend continues in that typically hibernating not long after changing something functions properly, while trying again after some while causes a shutdown. However, this time something out of the ordinary occurred in that my computer chose to restart itself instead.

I did not run sfc /scannow before but I did this time and it told me Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations. According to this, the DISM command is specifically for when the sfc command does not fix anything, so I have refrained from trying.

I'm not sure how the links in that forum are supposed to help me, as they seem to be about enabling hibernate more than anything. The hibernate function itself is available from all sources that mentioned.

Attached Files

• Attached File  data.txt   55.31KB   2 downloads

#13 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 04 August 2018 - 01:30 AM

Have you tried Settings...Update and Security.... and running the Troubleshooter on the left hand side?

Perhaps try the Power and Hardware troubleshooters.

Reboot afterwards.

Worth a try.

#14 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:11 AM

Hi, I suspect hiberfil.sys is struggling to find enough Ram, Why so many chrome processes? Open a cmd prompt as admin (as shown) and type:- 

powercfg /h /type full (press enter) this will give hiberfil.sys (hibernate) access to 40% of your physical ram.

The biggest problem is Avast, you do not get superior protection from two AV's and you will not get integration into windows ten with Avast, If Avast also has a firewall you have windows firewall active, they will cause you issues.

Your first move should be to uninstall Avast, I note you also have Malwarebytes, is this only the free malware scanner or the quasi AV?

You have to use the Avast uninstall util:-

https://www.avast.com/en-au/uninstall-utility

#15 Candentia

Candentia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2018 - 02:23 AM

The chrome processes is as a result of how I am one of those people with a bad habit of leaving too many tabs open. (However, in one case hibernating without Chrome open at all still caused the problem, which was when my computer was clean booted.)

Malwarebytes is the free malware scanner only. I'm actually not sure what you mean by two AVs in consideration of that...I was always under the impression I needed an antivirus and antimalware. Avast is also the free version so its firewall isn't active.

I went and used the command prompt as advised. As usual, the hibernate function works fine after a short time, but I will have to wait at least 20 minutes to see if it still functions well then due to the strange trend.

Have you tried Settings...Update and Security.... and running the Troubleshooter on the left hand side?

Perhaps try the Power and Hardware troubleshooters.

Reboot afterwards.

Worth a try.

That returned no results besides suggesting that I don't have my computer power setting on High Performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users