Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows 7 over Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tonyp234

tonyp234

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 PM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:36 PM

Hi there, was hoping someone could help me out here. To make things short, im trying to install windows 7 on a separate hdd in a system that already has windows 10 installed on an ssd.

From what ive read on the internet, this can be tricky because the windows 10 boot files get screwed up, and the windows 7 boot files overwrite the ones for windows 10.. i think?

Again, i want them on two separate drives.

So am i safe to just unplug the windows 10 ssd, swap it with the windows 7 hdd/get everything installed..?

Then my plan would be to have both drives in the system, use the windows 10 ssd as the main drive that automatically boots when the system turns on. And id want the windows 7 drive to need a manual boot via the f12 boot menu everytime i need to use windows 7.

Is this all possible? Feel free to fill me in ☺ Thanks for your time

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:38 PM

If you detach the Windows 10 HDD while installing Windows 7 to the other drive you will not have a problem. You can either select the boot drive in your UEFI/BIOS settings or use EASYBCD to change your BCD to include both Windows 7 and 10. At boot you would select which OS you wanted to boot.

I am not sure if the F12 approach would work but changing the boot order in your UEFI/BIOS would not be a problem.

If this is very new hardware then you may have an issue with Windows 7 drivers and you will not get security updates on the latest generation of processors.

If you have plenty of RAM you may want to consider installing Windows 7 in a VM. 

#3 tonyp234

tonyp234
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:46 PM

Ah, im happy to hear it isnt as complex as i thought it was going to be. Thanks for the input. I will try this now. As for using a virtual machine, i do enjoy using them for Windows XP/Linux distros, but i wanted a separate drive for my gaming on windows 7. Thus, a more native experience. Again, i appreciate the help.  :thumbsup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users