Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crash...windows Will Not Start At All

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nathansdad04

nathansdad04

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:33 PM

During an attempt to defrag my computer ....my computer shut down and I got a blue screen that said "Computer has shut down to prevent damage, remove antiviurs programs etc etc.
I tried to boot in Safe Mode and used the "Last known settings that worked"...it starts Windows XP for about 4 seconds and then goes to the blue screen again. When I tried basic safe mode the screen just scrolled a bunch of numbers down the screen and stopped(sorry I'm not more specific).
I tried a Diagnostic(not really sure how I did it), I did get a statement that said

DST Short Status Test - Failed 1000-0142
Msg 4 Drive Self Test Failed Byte 70

I have no idea what to do from here. I am somewhat computer illiterate. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 04:36 AM

Is this a Dell computer? I found this in a Dell forum, googling the error message.
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...essage.id=48538
This says the hard drive is going out.
You can try googling it your self, there were other sites that had stuff. hopefully someone else will come along with a better answer.
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:28 AM

It's a Dell 9300 laptop (just weeks out of warranty, I think). I wonder if I can purchase a Dell extended warranty before this thing dies?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users