Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer instantly shutdown

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Scbroodsc2

Scbroodsc2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:00 PM

Hi, first time here so hello everyone. Let's make it as simple as I can, but I've to explain a bit the backstory I guess.

I've bought this computer https://i.imgur.com/MZ4vAJ1.png for VR speceficly. When I got it it was plug-and-play pretty much and it worked great. Then when I installed Oculus VR stuff it started getting some errors in the Event Viewer. Time passes everything works fine when it wants to work (OVR often had bugs and stuff). More recently, the computer started to act weird. For example, you press the power button and litteraly nothing happend (but there is power as the mb has idle lights on it) so I just left it like that since it was not starting up but then later in the day it was started and working correctly? Then another day it did it again, did not start up when we pressed the button but eventually started up by itselft. At first I though this could be the PSU but it can't be if the system works sometimes, otherwise it would just not work all the time...

And today it just doesn't want to start at all. By that I mean, after trying stuff like turning off the psu wait and then on, the computer accept to start but after a short moment (5-60sec) it just shutdown. First try it went all the way into windows and seemed to be working fine, I opened the Event Viewer to check anything special but it stopped before I could see anything. Second try I though, maybe it's a background program starting up or something so I pressed Del to get into the EUFI, but after a few seconds it crashed too. This means it's really something physics going on.

Anyone has an idea about what could cause this? And it's quite annoying since it does no longer stay on long enough to output any file to show current setings. And I don't want to risk to break it even more. If it's shutting down it's probably some sort of protection, or failure somewhere. The computer is about 8 months old. I did not use it much.

It once crashed because the videocards was taking too much power when playing starcraft in a rare case scenario with alot of models on screen. I know it because I tried to reproduce it but while monitoring the voltage with GPU-Z and it started saying VRel (voltage reliability).

I guess one step could be to take out the video card and plug the screen in the mb and see if it crashes still...

Edited by Scbroodsc2, 31 July 2018 - 07:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:23 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

If this computer is still in warranty I would at least speak to your supplier if not insist on a replacement. However I have been given to understand that warranty in the USA is very much more restricted than it is in Europe and this may not do you any good !

According to the specs on this model, as supplied by Newegg, it came with a 600W power supply. According to at least one article I saw this PSU is at the bottom end of the needed power range and if you are working the computer hard you would be better with an 800 - 850W PSU. From what you have said I would be inclined to suspect the PSU and really the only way to test this is to try a different PSU. If you don't have a spare lying around might it be possible to borrow one from a friend ?  That at least would save you the expense of buying one until you know if it is a PSU problem or not.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users