Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

my computer makes a strange noise before windows has even booted up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gophergolf

gophergolf

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:34 PM

It happens about a minute after the login screen appears, and it happens if I log in or not.

around 1 minute into this video:

Edited by hamluis, 31 July 2018 - 04:45 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,804 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:29 PM

I'd look through the system sounds category and see which sound matches up with that event and possibly turn it off or at least identify which process is creating the sound.

#3 gophergolf

gophergolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:01 PM

I've gone through all the system sounds and none match. It isn't logon that has its own sound.

As for the processes that run at startup wouldn't they wait for windows to logon first before they start? This sound happens even if I don't logon

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 07:13 AM

There are two places in the registry that WIndows looks for startup items.

One is the Local Machine and those will start when Windows starts and you don't have to logon.

The other is Current User and those will start when a user logs in and every user could have a different set of startup items since each user has their own Current User folder in the registry.

It might even be a Scheduled Task that wants to run something every time the system starts.

If you download and install the free version of CCleaner from here:

https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner

Launch CCleaner and choose Tools, Startup and you will see all the startup items your your login:

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   82.53KB   0 downloads

From there you can see some are HKLM (Local Machine) and some are HKCU (Current User).

The HKLM entries start with Windows, the HKCU entries start when you login.

In the example you can see that MSE starts when Windows starts but I can disable that if I desire.

Disabling things in CCleaner doesn't uninstall anything - it just prevents them from starting.

First make a manual System Restore point and make a list of the current settings or print that screen so you can get things back to normal if something goes wrong.

From the list maybe you can spot the culprit or you can just disable everything and restart.

If the sound is gone, go back into CCleaner and enable things one at a time or it little groups, restarting until the sound comes back.

Using a process of elimination perhaps you will find the culprit.

If you can't figure it out, from CCleaner (with things back to normal) at the bottom choose "Save to text file" and save the list someplace you can find it (like your Desktop).

Open the list with a text editor, select all the text (Ctrl-A), press Ctrl-C (Copy) to copy all the text to your clipboard and in a next reply press Ctrl-V) Paste so we can see your startup items.

Maybe somebody will have some ideas.

Edited by joseibarra, 01 August 2018 - 05:01 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 gophergolf

gophergolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:10 AM

I already use CCleaner and I have disabled a lot of the startup items. here is the list

Yes HKLM:Run Windows7FirewallControl Sphinx Software D:\Folder\Applications\Maintenance\Windows7FirewallControl\Windows7FirewallControl.exe
Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched Oracle Corporation "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run StartCCC Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
Yes HKLM:Run MSC Microsoft Corporation "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
Yes HKLM:Run IAStorIcon Intel Corporation C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIconLaunch.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe" 60
Yes HKCU:Run Skype for Desktop Skype Technologies S.A. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop\Skype.exe
Yes HKCU:Run HydraVisionDesktopManager AMD "C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\HydraVision\HydraDM.exe"
Yes HKCU:Run f.lux Flux Software LLC "C:\Users\Gav\AppData\Local\FluxSoftware\Flux\flux.exe" /noshow
Yes HKCU:Run CCleaner Monitoring Piriform Ltd "D:\Folder\Applications\Maintenance\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /MONITOR

No Startup Common ScpToolkit Tray Notifications.lnk Scarlet.Crush Productions D:\Folder\Games\#EMULA~1\SCPTOO~1\SCPTRA~1.EXE
No HKLM:Run XboxStat Microsoft Corporation "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Xbox 360 Accessories\XboxStat.exe" silentrun
No HKLM:Run USB3MON Intel Corporation "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver\Application\iusb3mon.exe"
No HKLM:Run SwitchBoard Adobe Systems Incorporated C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\SwitchBoard\SwitchBoard.exe
No HKLM:Run SSBkgdUpdate Nuance Communications, Inc. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
No HKLM:Run RTHDVCPL Realtek Semiconductor C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RtkNGUI64.exe -s
No HKLM:Run OpwareSE4 Nuance Communications, Inc. "C:\Program Files (x86)\ScanSoft\OmniPageSE4\OpwareSE4.exe"
No HKLM:Run Cm112Sound Microsoft Corporation C:\Windows\syswow64\RunDll32.exe C:\Windows\Syswow64\cm112.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
No HKLM:Run CanonSolutionMenu CANON INC. C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\SolutionMenu\CNSLMAIN.exe /logon
No HKLM:Run CanonMyPrinter CANON INC. C:\Program Files\Canon\MyPrinter\BJMyPrt.exe /logon
No HKLM:Run BlueStacks Agent C:\Program Files (x86)\BlueStacks\HD-Agent.exe
No HKLM:Run BCSSync Microsoft Corporation "D:\Microsoft\Office 2010\Office14\BCSSync.exe" /DelayServices
No HKLM:Run AdobeGCInvoker-1.0 Adobe Systems, Incorporated "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\AdobeGCClient\AGCInvokerUtility.exe"
No HKLM:Run AdobeCS5.5ServiceManager Adobe Systems Incorporated "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\CS5.5ServiceManager\CS5.5ServiceManager.exe" -launchedbylogin
No HKLM:Run AdobeAAMUpdater-1.0 Adobe Systems Incorporated "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\OOBE\PDApp\UWA\UpdaterStartupUtility.exe"
No HKLM:Run Adobe Creative Cloud Adobe Systems Incorporated "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Creative Cloud\ACC\Creative Cloud.exe" --showwindow=false --onOSstartup=true
No HKCU:Run uTorrent BitTorrent Inc. "C:\Users\Gav\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe"  /MINIMIZED
No HKCU:Run Steam Valve Corporation "D:\Folder\Games\Steam\steam.exe" -silent
No HKCU:Run Skype for Desktop Skype Technologies S.A. C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Skype for Desktop\Skype.exe

#6 Nikelpede

Nikelpede

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:52 PM

Does it do it in safe mode?

Have you tried MSconfig.exe ?

It easy to turn programs and services off and on.

As for the processes that run at startup wouldn't they wait for windows to logon first before they start?

No some things start with the computer and some are even on delayed start.

#7 gophergolf

gophergolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2018 - 06:39 PM

I found out, it was a service called "SCP DSx Service" I need to use a PS3 controller on my PC. A bit annoying why it has to announce itself with that daft noise when it begins

#8 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:23 AM

Thanks to let us know how you solved your issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users