Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bicycling

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:20 PM

Hello BC Forums,

Any bicycle riders on the forums if so what brand and type of bike(s) do you ride.

The Wife and I are in our middle sixties and of course are not in the best of shape and can afford to lose some pounds.

We have been looking at comfort bicycles 3 speed to 7 speed and 10 speed max just to ease in pedaling on roads of the neighborhoods we will be riding.

We figure we should be able to find bicycles for our purpose for around the $400.00 to $500.00 price range per bicycle as we want entry level bicycles.

We have entry level mountain bikes now although at our age and our health or lack thereof find these not to be comfortable to ride these days.

Once we decide on exactly which bicycles we want and become used to riding again we plan on riding to places we generally drive to as those places are realistically within bicycle range.

Bicycling was a normal family event with our four children although many years in the past.

FWIW I already have a Park bicycle stand and a slew of Park bicycle tools as previously owning six bicycles can become quite costly when taking them in for maintenance and repairs.

Please give any and all opinions and suggestions as all will be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by The-Toolman, 31 July 2018 - 03:23 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:43 PM

I have been riding a bike for most of my 68 years and have found that Diamond Back to be a very good brand name and exceptional quality.  I had a DB Topanga for 20 years, so long it wore out and had to be replaced.  I like the quality so I got another one, a DB Wildwood.  Around $200. USD and very sturdy with aluminum frame.  It came with fat tires for dirt riding but even skinny tires will fit.  Twenty one speeds, enough to keep me in an easy pedaling pace regardless of the terrain.  There are usually three frame sizes, 17, 19 and 21 inch.  Measured from the middle of the seat down tube to the middle of the neck tube.  Longer means a more laid out position, shorter a more upright posture.  I'm 6 foot and found the 19 inch very comfortable and a bit more upright than the 21 inch of my last ride.  I ride most everywhere instead of driving.  I normally do three daily rides, around 5 miles each, close to 100 miles a week.  I have a carrier rack on the back and a front fender so I can ride rain soaked streets and dirt.  My first ride of the day is usually two, two minute sprints with five minutes rest in between and then casual the rest of the day.  Good luck and keep on riding.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:06 PM

You could also cheat and consider an electric bike. You don't have to use the electric power all the time, but dead handy if you happen to live in a very hilly area.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:32 PM

Hello mjd420nova,

I amazed at how many different types of bicycles are available and the price range.

We have a local bicycle shop downtown that rents bicycles for the day so we've been riding different bicycles and finding what we are comfortable riding

Diamond Back makes an excellent bicycle and I can order from my local bike shop any style / type wanted and they're within my price range.

I agree bit fit is everything and making sure to get the bike that fits the rider does make all of the difference.

Definitely want the upright position and not the leaning forward anymore just to hard on the old body these days.

The fat tires yep I do want them and a nice big leather covered seat and maybe front suspension but not a must have and no need for rear suspension.

I like the idea of fenders for the exact reason you do and the carrier rack is also a good idea.

Thanks

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#5 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:44 PM

Hey Chris,

Yeah I actually looked at a few of those just out of curiosity and I must say they are interesting.

I'm wanting the traditional style of bike although don't want the old style design or single speed or coaster brake.

As for the hills and such that what the extra speeds are for. :P

Thanks

#6 6sixty6

6sixty6

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:49 PM

67 years young riding my Schwinn 12spd road bike and or my Schwinn 18spd mountain bike.

tumblr_orekmsv8Yb1vbcnq8o1_500.gif

Edited by 6sixty6, 01 August 2018 - 08:13 AM.

🔥😈🔥

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:38 PM

Hello 6sixty6,

Good old Schwinn Bicycles had a 3 Speed English Racer many years ago when they first came out and rode the hell out of it until I wore it out. :thumbup2:

Some of the older Chicago Schwinn Bicycles are pretty collectible from what I understand.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:28 PM

Schwinn used to be a good name, had a 3 speed Traveler in the '60s and got bent in a wreck.  Now they are cheap Chinese and not worth $50.  I am looking to buy the electric front wheel acccesory for the wife's  bike, she's had both knees replaced and doesn't have the power anymore and a helper motor would be great on her tricycle.  Cost around $200 for the gear and close to $300 for the battery.

#9 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 605 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:48 PM

Also might put a mirror on the handlebar so you see what's coming up behind you, and of importance, don't be like the Homer Simpson gif, wear a good helmet. My wife and I both had them and they're protective, lightweight and comfortable today.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#10 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:37 AM

@ mjd420nova

I remember the little two stroke motors that mounted above the front wheel of the bicycle that were around in the 1960s and had the rubber wheel that contacted the bicycle tire.

@ r.a.d.

Mirrors and a good helmet are a definite to have along with strobe lights for early morning and evening rides.

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:47 AM

Perhaps useful to some.

https://veloclubsestese.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/illustratedbicyclemaintenance.pdf

http://tikimt.com/pdf/Bicycle%20Repair%20&%20%20Maintenance.pdf

Click on the Go to PDF on this link.

https://www.pdfdrive.com/barnetts-bicycle-repair-manual-esense-d6483620.html

#12 Bezukhov

Bezukhov

Bleepin' Jazz Fan!

• Members
  • 2,653 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:34 AM

You could also cheat and consider an electric bike. You don't have to use the electric power all the time, but dead handy if you happen to live in a very hilly area.

Chris Cosgrove

I have one, and they are great. Bit of a problem if you run out of juice. The're a lot heavier than a regular bike.

Also might put a mirror on the handlebar so you see what's coming up behind you, and of importance, don't be like the Homer Simpson gif, wear a good helmet. My wife and I both had them and they're protective, lightweight and comfortable today.

Helmets? Yes! I got into an accident a long time ago. Slammed into a car I didn't see because its approach was hidden by a hedge. I bounced off of the windshield, which dazed me and I hit the asphalt on the other side of the car, head first. That woke me back up. Luckily I was wearing a helmet. When I stood up the helmet had split in half and fell off my head. It could have been my skull instead. My only injury was that I bit off the tip of my tongue. I can still feel the scar.
To err is Human. To blame it on someone else is even more Human.

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:22 PM

Hello Bezukhov,

Plus 1 on wearing a helmet a must have and do imo. :thumbup2:

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:35 PM

I would agree about helmets. I know that in my motorbike days one saved my skull on at least on occasion - gouged a chunk out of the back of the helmet but I was virtually undamaged. Had to throw the helmet away though ! 

Interestingly, in western Belgium, north-west Germany and Holland - which are all very flat - most 'ordinary' cyclists don't wear helmets apart from youg children, who are in any case more likely just to fall off their bikes. They have a culture of cycling in these areas and everybody - car drivers included - is much more aware and tolerant of cyclists. This is in contrast to the UK where almost all cyclists wear helmets and car drivers are not tolerant of cyclists.

But then in the UK cyclists are intolerant of everybody else, have a generally scant regard for the rules of the road and, in the dead of night, believe they are magically visible even it they are wearing dark clothing and showing no lights !

Chris Cosgrove

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,347 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:24 PM

Here's one style of bicycle we've been looking at that seems to be comfortable to ride.

Sixthreezero%2BEVRYjourney%2Bmens%2Bhybr

https://www.sixthreezero.com/collections/mens-bikes/products/evryjourney-mens-touring-hybrid-matte-black

Edited by The-Toolman, 02 August 2018 - 05:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users