Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will I regret not having a PS/2 port on a new PC?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Elaine38

Elaine38

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:47 PM

It seems that I'll need to replace my not-very-old desktop, or do extensive repairs after a lightning strike (I posted about this elsewhere), and some good desktop tower options for me do not come with PS/2 ports. Having one of these ports is the only way I can use my lightning-damaged PC, since it seems all the USB controllers were damaged. I'm still not entirely sure about that, but the evidence points that way. USB is enabled in the BIOS, and I've tried some other things.

I currently have to use a PS/2 mouse and the on-screen keyboard, which is not a good long-term solution.

While I'd be happy with keeping Windows 7, I might go for 10 since there are more choices. I was thinking of having the OS on a SSD drive and extra storage on a regular hard drive, a reasonably common option on newer computers (the ones usually lacking the PS/2 ports). Probably dual boot with Linux, which is not entirely relevant, but I've heard that booting from a Linux DVD can get around boot problems.

I like having options for all situations and am concerned I'll someday wish I had the port available. Your thoughts about not having one?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:00 PM

Doesn't answer the question but did you boot a live linux disk to check your USB ports? I believe in the other thread I asked if you had USB keyboard available in your UEFI settings. 

On OEM computer's I doubt you will find any with a PS2 port. Aftermarket motherboards usually have one PS2 port that will work for a mouse or keyboard.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:06 PM

PS/2 port have certain advantages over USB, but I think only one you really could regret is that PS/2 makes it possible to turn on computer with keyboard/mouse.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:24 PM

I have systems without and with PS2 ports...both USB/PS2 mouse/keyboards.  I find any combination of ports...to not be a problem and I am under the impression that USB ports have replaced PS2 ports...for some time now...on many motherboards.

I think choosing one or the other...is another one of those "personal preferences" decisions that have nothing to do with normal operation of the system by users.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 August 2018 - 11:11 AM.

#5 Elaine38

Elaine38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:02 PM

I have systems without and with PS ports...both USB/PS2 mouse/keyboards.  I find any combination of ports...to be a problem and I am under the impression that USB ports have replaced PS2 ports...for some time now...on many motherboards.

I think choosing one or the other...is another one of those "personal preferences" decisions that have nothing to do with normal operation of the system by users.

Louis

Thanks. I meant in addition to having several USB, for emergencies, not for normal operations.  While rare, I have occasionally had to use the PS/2 ports on a PC that normally uses USB connections.

#6 Elaine38

Elaine38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:13 PM

Doesn't answer the question but did you boot a live linux disk to check your USB ports? I believe in the other thread I asked if you had USB keyboard available in your UEFI settings. 

On OEM computer's I doubt you will find any with a PS2 port. Aftermarket motherboards usually have one PS2 port that will work for a mouse or keyboard.

I have not tried the Linux option. I assume you mean making a typical live disk as if I were going to use Linux. Are you saying the USB ports would work for Linux if they are still functional?

In the UEFI settings, I don't have the USB keyboard available, not on the ports I tried. If it would be worth doing, I could check more ports, at least a representative of front, back and PCI USB ports. 

And yes, most new computers don't have it, but I found some older models, or I could get something made if I'm going to care about having the port. That's the question, if it's likely to matter. I like to keep computers as long as possible, so I want to be able to fix things.

Thanks again for the help.

Edited by Elaine38, 31 July 2018 - 02:23 PM.

#7 Elaine38

Elaine38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:17 PM

I have a somewhat unrelated question, since we're talking about ports. What is the function of the usb port on the pci card for usb ports -- the one inside. There are four on the back of the computer after installing it, and one inside on the card. When would I use that? I haven't tried to see if that one works.

Thanks, all.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:28 PM

I have not tried the Linux option. I assume you mean making a typical live disk as if I were going to use Linux. Are you saying the USB ports would work for Linux if they are still functional?

In the UEFI settings, I don't have the USB keyboard available, not on the ports I tried. If it would be worth doing, I could check more ports, at least a representative of front, back and PCI USB ports. 

Usually linux will pick up the USB ports if something is wrong with Windows but if you cannot get a USB keyboard to work in your UEFI settings then I don't think linux would detect the USB ports either.

I have a somewhat unrelated question, since we're talking about ports. What is the function of the usb port on the pci card for usb ports -- the one inside. There are four on the back of the computer after installing it, and one inside on the card. When would I use that? I haven't tried to see if that one works.

The internal USB port on the PCI card can be used to connect to a front USB port or card reader. I guess if you ran out of ports you could also connect a USB extension cable and feed it out an empty card slot to attach another device. Some people also attach a USB bluetooth dongle to the internal. 

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21361473-What-are-internal-USB-ports-for

#9 Elaine38

Elaine38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:58 PM

Thanks for the link and info, JohnC.

I've made some progress, but the details belong in the other thread.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,401 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:27 PM

I wonder if the is a PS/2 card available for that board, I have seen then for some.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,894 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:23 PM

Just going straight back to the original question, my answer is an unequivocal, "No."

I haven't had a PS2 port on any laptop I've owned in over 10 years and have never, even once, needed one or missed one.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#12 deancollins

deancollins

• Banned Spammer
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 22 August 2018 - 09:13 AM

I regret having PC. Got all my time for years.

#13 sscoolyssh

sscoolyssh

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:20 PM

I had a problem when I tried to connect my 3G modem, but I did not succeed until I started using both modems. Sometimes this solves your problem.

#14 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:36 PM

I see some types of PS2 ports on new boards all the time

Like these:

GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 7

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145076

ASUS Prime Z370-P LGA

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813119039

ASRock Z270 KILLER SLI/AC

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157746

MSI B360 GAMING PLUS

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144154

ASRock Z170 Extreme7+

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157627

They still make boards with PS2 ports, do not accept proprietary boards from pre-built manufactures that want you to have what they think you should have. Build your own to get what you want/need. You can use the somewhat older skylake Z170 boards with Windows 7 with out much effort. Other newer boards are doable for Windows 7 but take more effort and if you consider that Windows 7 will be out of date soon, Might not be worth all that extra work to run 7 on a newer board

Edited by Joe C, 08 September 2018 - 09:48 PM.

#15 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 September 2018 - 09:44 PM

Just going straight back to the original question, my answer is an unequivocal, "No."

I haven't had a PS2 port on any laptop I've owned in over 10 years and have never, even once, needed one or missed one.

laptops? no,....... no PS2 in a very long time. I have no idea as to why you'd be bring up laptops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users