Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My HP beats edition 15-p390nr lap top not booting, keyboard/touchpad not working

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Computergirl38

Computergirl38

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:38 AM

Hi all, 
I have an HP beats edition 15-p390nr lap top that isn't powering up like it should when I hit the power button. It will light up like it's going to power up for about 2-3 sec, then it *pewwww* shuts down again.... I'm able to get around this....by opening the computer up while it's off, unplugging the ribbon cables connected to the keyboard and the touch pad (to the motherboard) to get the the ribbon cable connected to the power switch. I fiddle with unplugging and re-plugging this ribbon cable (and unplugging/re-plugging the charger to give it some electrical charge)...I find it works best when I plug the right side in (to the computer, not the motherboard) first, Then move the entire cable into position, it'll usually power-up that way...
I'm essentially able to short wire my computer to get it to start up...but that's the only way it'll power up as of right now. This is problem number 1. The ribbon cables do have some browning to them...

In unplugging and re-plugging my keyboard (at the motherboard plug, not the keyboard, though I do resent the keyboard plug from time to time) sometimes it doesn't light up/work at all. Even if it looks like the ribbon cables are plugged in fine. I have to fiddle with them. 

The touch pad is even more finicky, It usually doesn't work at all (but my mouse/USB port works fine). Right now it's working though...o.O. 

to get it to turn on today (everything working but my touch screen), I 'hot-wired' it like before, but my keyboard and touch pad were obsolete, so I went to 'restart' in the windows menu, and now...my keyboard and touch pad are working just fine. 

My touch screen is imminently broken, it doesn't work at all anymore and I'm unsure what to fiddle with to 'fix' it... I know virtually nothing about computers and probably shouldn't be fiddling with it anyway but, here we are.

I'm unsure what the cause of the problem is and am here looking for someone who'd dealt with something similar? is it the ribbon cables? Is it my battery? (I've checked for the battery and I don't think that's it...), is it my motherboard? what's going on with my computer... I've had it for 3 years now and the cooling fan (entire component) has been replaced once. I'm unsure what other info I should post but if anything else is required please say so...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:12 PM

Here is your support page:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-beats-special-edition-15-p300-notebook-pc/8499310/model/8888507/manuals

It is opened to the manuals section and the bottom entry is for the service manual which is something you ought to save somewhere as it tells you how to take it apart and has the part numbers.

The original, 1982, IBM PC specs allowed for the keyboard port to be used to upload diagnostics to ram and then control them.  If, for whatever reason, the keyboard is sending the (wrong) codes, I can see it exhibiting what you describe; but, the behavior is far more consistent with the PC thinking something is overheating.  Why did you replace the cooling fan and did you also replace the heatsink?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users