Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop is not booting past Toshiba screen!

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 LoraHereWeGo

LoraHereWeGo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:50 AM

Hello all. I am in dire need of assistance and I am getting real frustrated. I have been having this issue for about a week now.

I have a Toshiba Satellite C55T-B5230. When I got it, it had Windows 8.1 on it and I upgraded to 10. When I press the power button, the Toshiba Leading Innovation screen pops up like it usually does, but won't go any further.

I have seen other threads based on this same problem, and I have tried following the taking out the battery instructions and the F9 button, as well as pressing F10 and ALT button. Nothing comes up. The loading icon that shows up beneath the Toshiba Leading Innovation logo is not showing up either. The laptop goes on and off just fine, but it will not get past the black Toshiba screen. I was able to get it to come up (after repeatedly turning it on and off and pressing ALL of the buttons) and I did a system recovery, thinking it might have been the Windows 10 update for July that was making it bug. It worked fine for that day, but we are back to square one.

Brief prior knowledge: It was doing this a couple days before, but after about 20-30 minutes, it would boot up like normal. It got stuck on this black screen for 2 hours on Sunday.

Before this issue, I was noticing while the Charger was plugged in, the screen would flicker. But it would stop once I unplugged it.

Since the new Windows update back in June, I have been noticing some strange things happening, such as: The touchscreen function isn't working. I've found it on my drive, but it wouldn't allow me to enable it. Now it's completely missing.

I really need this laptop, I use it to study and I am in no position to replace it. Can anyone assist me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LoraHereWeGo

LoraHereWeGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

Also, after I was able to get in that one time, I did a Malwarebytes scan and a virus scan and everything came back clean.

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:37 AM

when the computer does boot up, is it running slower then normal?

the first thing i would do is test the hard drive, if you can get it running again...

go to this link, download and install the western digital test software....

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?h=p2&ID=940&lang=en&p=236

test using the quick test first....if the drive passes that test, test with the long/extended test

your drive is likely a toshiba drive but the western digital software above will still work

if you are unable to get it to boot again, you will need to boot with a bootable USB device.....alternatively you could remove the hard drive and hook it up to another computer to test the drive that way

Edited by mikey11, 31 July 2018 - 11:40 AM.

#4 LoraHereWeGo

LoraHereWeGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:42 AM

Hi, thank you for responding.

When it's on, it works like normal. Other than the not being able to use my touch screen and the flickering while charging, everything is fine.

How do I do the USB/hard drive thing?

Edited by LoraHereWeGo, 31 July 2018 - 11:43 AM.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:11 PM

Well you use the Windows media creation tool for that sort of thing but I have to ask do you have a USB thumb drive? If you don't that's fine as those were very cheap and you could get them at Best Buy or Amazon or whatever electronic store is near you or online such as Newegg.

Hopefully they hard drive is not failing but if it is then perhaps you should try to replace it there's a possibility there's a link between your screen flickering issue and your hard drive issue as it's possible that your old power supply might have had some adverse effects on your hard drive it happens but at least you could boot into the system now and then so it's not a issue with the motherboard but if you get that power cord replaced and then get the hard drive replaced you should be okay after that point

Edited by MadmanRB, 31 July 2018 - 12:13 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#6 LoraHereWeGo

LoraHereWeGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:31 PM

Would I need to use another computer to do this?
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question. I am completely computer illiterate. Lol.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:53 PM

Yes you would need another computer I mean if you don't have one that's fine you always ask somebody who has another computer to use theirs for a little bit such as a friend or something like that or family member whatever the case may be but yes you would need another computer.

As long as you have access to a Windows 10 computer and access to a USB thumb drive then this is entirely possible I mean you can get other tools to make a Windows 10 boot image just in case but often times Windows media creation tool is the best way to do it

Edited by MadmanRB, 31 July 2018 - 01:58 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,821 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:17 PM

As long as you have access to a Windows 10 computer and access to a USB thumb drive then this is entirely possible

The Media Creation tool for Windows 10 can also run on any Windows 7 or 8 computer.

#9 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:19 PM

As long as you have access to a Windows 10 computer and access to a USB thumb drive then this is entirely possible

The Media Creation tool for Windows 10 can also run on any Windows 7 or 8 computer.

Yeah I thought it did but I wasn't sure I don't have any Windows 7 for Windows 8 systems in my household

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#10 LoraHereWeGo

LoraHereWeGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:00 PM

Thanks guys for your assistance. I really do appreciate it.

Since I don't have access to another computer, I guess I'm going to have to find a cheap, but reliable place to take it to, and see about fixing.

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:07 PM

Just dont take it to best buy or staples or office depo/officemax, those guys are idiots.

Standard computer repair shops are where to go,if you are using a phone do a search

Proud Vivaldi user.

8spxh0-6.png

#12 LoraHereWeGo

LoraHereWeGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2018 - 08:59 PM

when the computer does boot up, is it running slower then normal?

the first thing i would do is test the hard drive, if you can get it running again...

go to this link, download and install the western digital test software....

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?h=p2&ID=940&lang=en&p=236

test using the quick test first....if the drive passes that test, test with the long/extended test

your drive is likely a toshiba drive but the western digital software above will still work

if you are unable to get it to boot again, you will need to boot with a bootable USB device.....alternatively you could remove the hard drive and hook it up to another computer to test the drive that way

Okay.

So, by pure FLUKE my computer came on today. It was on for maybe 20 minutes with the black Toshiba screen. Then out of nowhere Toshiba Setup Utility popped up, I clicked exit and then Windows started to load. I was able to download the link and did both scans, and they both came back clean. I'm afraid to turn the computer off for fear of it not coming back on. 

Would wiping my computer clean and starting all over again help? 

Edited by LoraHereWeGo, 11 August 2018 - 09:07 PM.

#13 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 07:43 AM

if both of those scans did not report any errors then your hard drive is most likely fine,

if you have no info/files on the drive that you need to recover/keep then i would try a fresh install of windows 10

you need to make sure you install the same version of windows 10 that is currently on the machine (home, pro, etc) or it will not activate

Edited by mikey11, 12 August 2018 - 07:44 AM.

#14 LoraHereWeGo

LoraHereWeGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 11:35 AM

if both of those scans did not report any errors then your hard drive is most likely fine,

if you have no info/files on the drive that you need to recover/keep then i would try a fresh install of windows 10

you need to make sure you install the same version of windows 10 that is currently on the machine (home, pro, etc) or it will not activate

Okay, I shall try that, thank you. My computer turned off in the middle of the night, so trying to get it to load up again.

#15 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,577 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2018 - 01:33 PM

Okay, I shall try that, thank you. My computer turned off in the middle of the night, so trying to get it to load up again.

do you have an installation USB stick?.....or did you create one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users