Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 1803 Update Keeps Failing In Toshiba Laptop.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Celtic22

Celtic22

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:17 AM

Originally a Windows 7 laptop, but force upgraded, 1803 update has failed a number of times.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:11 PM

Did you try to download the update manually and then install it?

If you did media creation tool usually works for any failed update: https://www.windowscentral.com/use-media-creation-tool-update-windows10

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:34 AM

If w10 was already activated, I advise you to do a clean installation from a bootable usb stick.

First, backup all your partitions with Macrium Reflect free or similar.

Then use the Media Creation Tool to download latest ISO (17134.112) and either use MCT to create a bootable usb or use Rufus to do it.

Clean install and update everything.

#4 Celtic22

Celtic22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:29 AM

If you did media creation tool usually works for any failed update: https://www.windowscentral.com/use-media-creation-tool-update-windows10

The media creation tool sounds like the way to go, a way that even I, as a novice, should be able to manage.

The instructions seem very clear.

Should I do a back up or system restore?

If back up, which is the easiest?

I trust that bookmarks, XMarks bookmarks, and Firefox will be unaffected by media creation tool operation.

Yes, I did try to manually update.

Your website looks to be very interesting, and very helpful.

#5 Celtic22

Celtic22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:37 AM

If w10 was already activated, I advise you to do a clean installation from a bootable usb stick.

First, backup all your partitions with Macrium Reflect free or similar.

Then use the Media Creation Tool to download latest ISO (17134.112) and either use MCT to create a bootable usb or use Rufus to do it.

Clean install and update everything.

Am going to try Broni's suggestion first and see how that goes.

It involves Media Creation Tool as well.

Believe it or not, as a novice I do not own and have never used a USB.

Thank you both for taking the trouble to reply.

#6 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:55 AM

Backup is always recommended.

The best way is to create an image of your drive.

Acronis True Image: http://www.acronis.com/ - not free, but the best

Free alternatives:
- Macrium Reflect: http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp
- DriveImage XML: http://www.runtime.org/driveimage-xml.htm (tutorial: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial160.html)
- Paragon Drive Backup: http://www.paragon-software.com/home/db-express/

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#7 eLPuSHeR

eLPuSHeR

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 10:58 AM

Keep in mind that doing a clean installation will destroy/erase all your data and installed applications. That's why you must do a backup first. In fact, I would do two different backups: one full partition copy with any of the backup programs Broni posted above and I would also manually copy all your personal files (documents, pictures, music, anything on desktop, etc) to another physical location (a different drive, an usb stick, an external hdd, whatever).

If you want to retain your Firefox configuration. Copy the Users\<your account>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla folder to the manual backup.

Place the Mozilla folder inside Roaming after installing Windows and prior to installing Firefox. This way Firefox will be installed using your current config.

Check both the \ProgramData and AppData\Roaming folders for more configurations to store before clean installing.

You will need to reinstall all your software later, as well as any printer driver and all remaining drivers (with luck Windows Update will have most of these).

Keep us posted on how it goes.

Good luck.

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 06:33 PM

Give THIS TOOL a run before you start the clean install, it may be as simple as a  BIOS Update.  Post back with the output if any, for help implementing any fixes.

Also please post the Exact Model of your laptop.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 825 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 07:33 PM

Hi, the method in Broni's link (haven't seen you in 16 years, good to hear from you (Virtual Dr), is not a clean install, even though the video references Anniversary update, it is still relevant today.

It will install the latest version of windows ten (depending on when MS last updated the download) and keep all the settings and apps and programs, it will look exactly as it did before, some modifications (if you made them) will not be carried over (particularly non default registry settings) and some of the annoying settings like windows updates driver update will be activated. All the rubbish comes over as well, this relies on the OS being bootable, (it is done within the OS), and for many, is the easiest way to resolve windows update issues.

It is not preferable to a clean install,  backup is usually not needed, this is not to say you should not have a backup, the methods already explained, for backup should be followed, (backup is the "Golden Rule" of computing).

#10 JimWebster

JimWebster

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:06 AM

(Please note i am a click-the-button computer user with negligible technical skills)

Many Toshiba laptops are listed by Toshiba as not compatible with Windows 10 Update 1803 (a web search will show heaps of discussion on this, and i found the list buried in a Toshiba website somewhere: sorry, did not save URL). Example:

https://www.askwoody.com/2018/windows-10-version-1803-isnt-compatible-with-toshiba-solid-state-drives-either/

My experience with my Toshiba R950 was that 1803 failed half a dozen times to install, and each time rolled back to 1703. Finally, Windows Update told me that i had the latest version of Windows 10, which is Update 1703. Advances in IE here, it seems Windows Update can bullbleep just like a real person.

My hope is that it stays that way forever, 1703 works fine on my 32 bit R950. (I do have a desktop, newer than the Toshiba, Win 10 64 bit, which has updated to 1803 with no problems, but it does not run a couple of programs I need that only work in 32 bit)

Now that Microsoft has a business model where instead of the person who paid for the Microsoft product being treated as a customer, we are treated as hostages to a predatory digital merchandising business, I guess we hostages need to respond as best we can... although the sad situation is that there will never be any digital marines available to rescue us (I am not relying on a troupe of Linux fanboys to storm the citadel).

Still, my Toshiba functions adequately and runs the software my work requires. But if your Toshiba laptop which was originally fine for upgrade to Windows 10 is no longer updating, it may be that Microsoft has moved to what is effectively a new operating system, Windows 10A? Windows 11? Windows AAARRGHH?, with entirely new specifications for compatibility.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,095 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 06:53 AM

Broni, this way we also get a compatibility check right?  I need to do one of these asap just to see.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:13 PM

What do you mean by compatibility check?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#13 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,014 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:41 PM

Hi! Please try the upgrade again and when it fails, zip and attach C:\Windows.~bt\Sources\Panther\SetupAct.log and SetupErr.log

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,095 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:19 PM

What do you mean by compatibility check?

I don't know LOL, I seem to remember a Compatibility Check during Upgrades or something.  Honestly I've only done Clean Installs for the most part so I'm a bit out of the loop here.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,014 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 04:21 PM

Depending on the situation and the scenario we have, there are several logs we can look at in diagnosing the issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users