Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tried seeing what type of ram I had on my cell Percision T5500 won't boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dsdale

dsdale

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:09 AM

I tried to see what type of ram I had installed on my computer and I made sure to not touch any components and I closed it back up and now it won't boot and it gives me a Pb7 error code. The fans also speed up over time. Please help!!! I have a Dell Percision T5500

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 01 August 2018 - 05:56 PM.
Duplicate topics merged.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

this is a post from a dell forum and it says they solved the problem replacing the cpu

Well, my issue has been resolved.

I spoke with a friend whose thoughts I trust in computer matters. She suggested that, in spite of the fact that the computer will boot with both CPUs in individually, there could be an issue that would make them not match. She pointed me to a thread (which, for whatever reason, I can no longer find) where someone else described exactly what she had suggested.

I wanted to follow through but was delayed due to health issues. I recently ordered the replacement CPUs (I decided to upgrade while I was at it) and everything is working swimmingly now.

So folks who get this message please note that you can run an individual CPU (and you can swap them as I did) and still have things work fine but together they will fail and give this message every time. That means something small is busted in the CPU itself. It's not preventing it from booting but it prevents them from matching perfectly so that they will no longer run together.

I have to admit, I was surprised at this since CPUs are normally the last thing to go bad in a computer but it can and does happen.

Anyone who's having problems like I was (17RSE, for example) this may well be your problem.

#3 dsdale

dsdale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:46 AM

Sorry but I don't think it will work. I've used this computer for 3 years with no problems.

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:39 PM

Hi dsdale!

Please Disconnect the system from the Wall Outlet, Press and Hold the Power Button for 30 sec. and reconnect the system to the Wall Outlet,
Please have a pen/pencil and notepaper handy and perform the following...
1. Press the Power Button in an attempt to boot the system,
a. Log the Current State of the Power Light: Off /On,
b. Log the Color and Status of Power Light: Steady Green/Steady Amber, Blinking Green/Blinking Amber,
c. There are 4 Diagnostic LED's located on the rear of the system, they are numbered 1,2,3,4, these LED's will either be Green or Amber or Not Lit at All.
d. Log the color of the lights beginning with LED 1 through LED 4.
e. Log any Beep sounds and pattern during POST

2  Please transfer and upload your findings in your next posting,

You may refer to the troubleshooting section of the Precision T5500 Service Manual located here: https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/common/precision-t5500_setup%20guide_en-us.pdf

Thank you

Old Rocker

#5 dsdale

dsdale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:41 PM

There is no beeping although lights 2,3,and 4 blink. Also the power LED is a solid amber

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 11:58 AM

https://www.dell.com/community/Desktops-General/Precision-T5500-Pb7-Error/td-p/5031528

Louis

#7 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:32 PM

Hi dsdale

You stated that you used the system for 3 years without problems...
Hopefully your system is the victim of improperly seated components RAM Processor I/O Cards

Please download the Dell Precision T5500 Service Manual for reference
Refer to the following pages of the Dell Precision T5500 Service Manual for specifics...

Page 10: Power / Diagnostic Light Codes
1- Off 2- Blink 3- Blink 4- Blink ACPI S0, hand off to BIOS control System on. BIOS not execution. This is the transition state to POST states.

Page 79: Before Working Inside Your Computer

Page 2: About Memory
Pay special attention to the section on Memory Population Rules Make sure you follow to the "T"

Page 52: Heat Sink and Processor
If you are game to try reseating the processor / processors (depending on your system's configuration) visit your local Best Buy (or similar) and purchase some Thermal Paste.

Page 76: Expansion Cards
Reseat any Riser / Expansion cards

Page 80: After Working Inside Your Computer

I'm confident you will get to the bottom of this!

Old Rocker

#8 dsdale

dsdale
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:59 PM

Oh sorry. Forgot to post a reply. We figured it out. Sorry first guy that posted here, it was the riser with the CPU that went bad. Sorry I was very frustrated at the time. Thanks everyone for your help. It's resolved

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2018 - 07:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users