Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating second recovery hp recovery media

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pranavrocksharma

pranavrocksharma

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:25 AM

Please  help me
My computer was infected with ransomware due to which it was also got inserted in recovery partion. I created a recovery but the usb also got infected somehow i removed that virus but now i am not able to make a recovery again. Please help me how to make a new recovery. I recently bought my new laptop .

please help somebody

can anyone provide a method so that we can create recovery after this,any trick or method.

please provide solution according to new software (hp recovery media)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:11 AM

The creation of recovery media, either USB thumb drive or optical discs is a one time procedure. Since you created recovery media on a USB device previously, you have already used your one time limit. Your best bet now is to either go to HP support for your specific model computer & purchase recovery media, or you can instead download Win 10 for free & perform a clean install. Personally, I would opt for the clean install thereby avoiding all the proprietary crapware that would get installed with the HP recovery media. Also keep in mind that a year or two down the road the HP media would become outdated. 

Download Win 10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Edited by saw101, 31 July 2018 - 02:14 AM.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 pranavrocksharma

pranavrocksharma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:19 AM

any procedure or trick to do the recovery again,as the software keeps a track of it,any modification so that we can make again

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,786 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:24 AM

I would have thought infecting a recovery partition was beyond the sophistication level of ransomware, but if this has indeed happened, then I think being able to create recovery media a second time would be pointless, as the infected recovery partition will make infected recovery media, as you found.

Apart from the suggestions already offered, the only feasible method I can see to source a clean recovery partition would be to image the partition from another system of the same model, restore the partition to erase the infected one, and restore the unit to factory condition (out-of-the-box). You should then be able to make clean recovery media.

Considering the difficulty of finding a source for the correct recovery partition, I think the suggestion of a clean Windows 10 installation is the best.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 pranavrocksharma

pranavrocksharma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:56 AM

I would have thought infecting a recovery partition was beyond the sophistication level of ransomware, but if this has indeed happened, then I think being able to create recovery media a second time would be pointless, as the infected recovery partition will make infected recovery media, as you found.

Apart from the suggestions already offered, the only feasible method I can see to source a clean recovery partition would be to image the partition from another system of the same model, restore the partition to erase the infected one, and restore the unit to factory condition (out-of-the-box). You should then be able to make clean recovery media.

Considering the difficulty of finding a source for the correct recovery partition, I think the suggestion of a clean Windows 10 installation is the best.

its gone now 

do you know any method of making a second recovery partion

#6 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:25 PM

"Do you know any method of making a second recovery partition?"

Basically you are down to the methods already suggested. There is no way that I know of to now re-create the original & now lost recovery partition that would work. You wouldn't be able to again create recovery media like you previously did anyway.

Really your best options are download Win 10 & do a clean install, or purchase the recovery discs from HP, which after a year or two, those would then restore a dated version of Win10, & you would be looking at more work updating to the [at that point in time] current version of Windows.

As it now stands MS is expected to release a major update possibly around October this year. When that happens I will download & burn the new version to a DVD, adding to my library of windows so to speak.  

If you do clean install & get your system setup with all updates, software etc, you could then either Clone or Image the hard drive, saving such to an external device. There are numerous software programs available for that purpose. Many are free.

A list here: https://www.provendatarecovery.com/blog/10-free-disk-imaging-software-tools-for-harddrive/

Of the 10 listed, the most popular are AOMEI Backupper, Macrium Reflect, & Paragon Backup & Recovery. You could be back up & running in short order. Periodically, due to Windows Update, new installs/uninstalls of software etc you could create new backups & then have more than 1 to select from.

Both cloning & imaging create an exact record of your drive. That includes all the files on the drives along with the master boot record & everything else your PC needs to boot.

Disk Imaging: Imaging creates a large compressed file of your drive. Then you can restore that file to bring your drive back to life. Because the image file itself is large, users will save them to external drives.

Disk Cloning: Cloning creates an exact, uncompressed replica of your drive. If your hard drive fails, you could remove it & replace it with the cloned drive. Cloning can get you up & running quickly, but it doesn’t offer as much flexibility as imaging. I’d recommend an image over cloning.

Do you own an external HD? If not, HDs are cheap these days & everyone should have at least one.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:37 PM

If you want to recreate a recovery partition there is Aomei One Key. Note: This would not be a factory restore partition. You would clean install Windows, install your programs and drivers, and update then use One Key to create a Recovery Partition that can be accessed by tapping a key a boot. This would not help if the drive failed. In that case an offline image backed up to a USB external drive is required.

One Key is nice if somehow Windows got borked and you needed to take it back to when you created the image. One Key allows you to update this image at any time.

https://www.backup-utility.com/onekey-recovery.html

This used to be free software but now it is paid. For that reason you probably would be better off with using the Aomei Backupper Software which is free.

There is a free version. 

https://www.backup-utility.com/okr-free.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 July 2018 - 04:40 PM.

#8 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 476 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:45 PM

Good info JohnC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users