Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DaaS in the future

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Meanie

Meanie

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:07 PM

My apologies if I'm not in the correct category. I don't know where else to ask.

I just read an article today about the Microsoft DaaS coming and fading out Windows OS software. https://www.computerworld.com/article/3293429/microsoft-windows/with-daas-windows-coming-say-goodbye-to-your-pc-as-you-know-it.html

IMO, the DaaS pay per month issue has me POed and simply see it as Microsoft's monopolizing greedy paws filling their deep pockets.

Is this actually gonna happen? Will others switch to Linux, Unix or Mac due to it?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:59 PM

Hi, yes it's a commercial imperative for MS to survive, it needs cash flow, it really isn't a huge difference in practical terms to what we have already. Windows is a service, and we all receive services , in some form or other, either way you pay for your gas , electricity council rates.. etc etc.

You will still be able to block many of the more intrusive aspects of the service, although most are benign and have a very practical (yet poorly explained purpose) definition updates for security patches rely on data, since these security threats are human produced, they are dynamic, one reason defender is so superior, is it's definitions base dwarfs all other AV's combined.

Welcome to the modern world, my company chages our clients a base monthly "service" fee, and we know all about their business, so it's far from unique.

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:17 PM

Well it certainly help linux out, the only thing windows is good for is games

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:45 AM

Interesting how "the death of Windows" like "the death of the PC" and "the death of [insert anything that just won't die here]" occurs repeatedly.

Most of us are able to go with the flow to stick with an ecosystem we find quite suitable to the purposes for which we put it to use.

That being said, I have nothing whatsoever against personal choice.  If changes in a given product or service make it unsuitable to you, for whatever reason, the logical and appropriate action is to seek out a replacement or just abandon it if that's a viable option.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:51 AM

Well if there is a monthly fee for Windows yeah i can see it causing great harm for windows.

With Linux quickly becoming something widespread and with every OS out there not charging a monthly fee its going to cause some damage.

Microsofts tune will change once they see user shares jump down, if not by linux but by chromebooks which now have android compatibility.

Its chromebooks having android app compatibility is what will tip the balance and people may take the saccrifice of not running microsoft apps or even games when the alternative is far cheaper

Edited by MadmanRB, 01 August 2018 - 08:53 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 08:59 AM

Well if there is a monthly fee for Windows yeah i can see it causing great harm for windows.

That's a mighty big if.  (Which is actually a central part of my point.  I cannot envision the day when what is Windows 10 Home or Pro becomes a pay-by-the-month setup nor even the same for Enterprise or Education.

Microsoft is not stupid about what that sort of approach most likely would mean in terms of its user base, particularly its worldwide user base.

The article originally linked to is filled with so much personal opinion masquerading as fact that it's not even funny.  I've considered the source, and in this case consider it to be unreliable.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:02 AM

Still though if Microsoft does do this I will only laugh when chromebook sales go up while windows marketshare goes down

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:19 AM

There is no way in hell I would rent a Windows OS if that ever happens. As Brian said, that is a big if. What happens to all the third party software? Does that move to the Windows store with UWP apps? It seems jenae has contacts at Microsoft so I would have to believe what he says regarding the move to DaaS.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,163 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:28 AM

What happens to all the third party software?

Which Microsoft also recognizes as central to the ongoing success of the Window ecosystem.

There are all sorts of speculations about Microsoft being made in that article, many with a distinctly dystopian spin, that seem very thin on the evidence end.  I can actually enjoy conjecture quite a bit, but not this kind of baseless conjecture that has a clear target that is Microsoft bashing.  It tells me nothing other than this author has an ax to grind.

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:36 AM

This article gives a better idea on Microsoft plans for DaaS.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsofts-got-a-new-plan-for-managing-windows-10-devices-for-a-monthly-fee/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users