Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I heard there are problems with Ubuntu 18.04

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:32 PM

I've read one this website that there are problems with Ubuntu 18.04 such as suspending issues or possibly even GRUB2 issues. Are these issues fixed yet or have they been addressed in Linux Mint?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 02:46 PM

Please post a link to the suspected problems. But there is always Ubuntu 18.04.1.

https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2018/07/ubuntu-18-04-1-lts-release

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:09 PM

There was something along those lines but its been patched.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 12:32 AM

patches in Linux.....almost instantaneous.....or at least within a couple of Days

(patches in Windows..... :blink:huh?....whats that...?...oh yeah...we're on it....

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 01 August 2018 - 06:51 AM

If I had problems with Ubuntu 18.04, I didn't notice them. :)

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:23 PM

Good to know everyone. :thumbup2:  BTW it looks like Kubuntu 18.04 is only supported for three years unlike Ubuntu 18.04 which is five. https://youtu.be/c1IMcYAAxkk?t=9

I wonder why thats for? Also dose Kubuntu have a GUI based driver manager like Linux Mint does?

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:35 PM

Well yes officially kubuntu only has 3 years of official support but one can keep it updated regardless beyond that.

Also yes the driver manager is there in kubuntu

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 5,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 09:21 PM

Just a slightly off topic note here......If this topics title was ...'heard there is a problem in win 10'.....the page count would be enormous...the replies would come fast and furious.

However,...seeing the topics title relates to ubuntu etc, the page count is 1, and we are struggling to get beyond 8 or so replies....... :hysterical:

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  

fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

#9 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 833 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 03 August 2018 - 01:06 AM

Just a slightly off topic note here......If this topics title was ...'heard there is a problem in win 10'.....the page count would be enormous...the replies would come fast and furious.

However,...seeing the topics title relates to ubuntu etc, the page count is 1, and we are struggling to get beyond 8 or so replies....... :hysterical:

Yes, but that's not entirely due to Ubuntu being less problematic than W10, there's also the vast disparity between the number of people using Ubuntu and W10 that needs to be considered.

Now personally I'm no fan whatsoever of W10, however the reason it has a lot of complaints against it, is in no small way due to the enormously large number of people that are using it.

Edited by Gary R, 03 August 2018 - 01:07 AM.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 09:28 AM

Yes but also look how fast it took to make a path, if this was windows it would take a while.

Sure Ubuntu isnt perfect and Canonical has made mistakes but its still faster on the uptake

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#11 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:13 AM

Well yes officially kubuntu only has 3 years of official support but one can keep it updated regardless beyond that.

Thanks, So when you say keep it updated beyond that are you talking about an OS upgrade?

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 10:51 AM

Thanks, So when you say keep it updated beyond that are you talking about an OS upgrade?

No I mean you can still keep the base updated so stuff like the kernel will be able to update, stuff like Firefox and everything else will be fine as well. It's KDE itself that's the problem with kubuntu as canonical really doesn't support KDE and if you want the latest version of KDE you're going to have to use something like KDE back ports or KDE Neon. But yes you can use it's beyond the suggested support as it will still get the Ubuntu updates

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#13 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:01 PM

@ MadmanRB

Cool thanks thats great news I guess I'll be using Kubuntu in place of LM KDE latter this year. :thumbup2:

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 07:05 PM

You could also try kdeneon due to have a 18.04 base here soon

Proud Vivaldi user.