Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 various BSODs (Faulty RAM?)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Reubenno2

Reubenno2

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:21 PM

Hello,

For the past few days I've been experiencing bad BSOD crashes on my PC.

My specs are as follows:

i5 3570k

16GB Corsair DDR3 Vengance LP (2x8GB)

Asrock Extreme4 z77

Samsung 840 Evo SSD

The BSODs have given various error codes (I've attached the minidumps from the last 4). I think they're all related to system memory.

When my PC first boots up everything works fine, it seems to run smoothly. But over time it becomes unable to load webpages (Firefox and Chrome both crash and cannot load google,youtube etc) and then things such as my antivirus service (Bitdefender) force closes and performance becomes quite slow.

I built the PC in 2014 so the RAM is 4 years old so it would not surprise me if this was the issue. I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic for two passes and it didn't find any errors, and a month or so ago I ran Memtest for one pass and that didn't find any issues either.

I think the next step would be to remove one of the sticks of RAM and see if I still get BSOD/Slowdown issues.

I installed WhoCrashed and these are the BSODs:

1) This was probably caused by the following module: hardware.sys (hardware)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000005, 0xFFFFF803195F394F, 0xFFFFD000367686A0, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

2) crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\073018-14109-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1554A0)
Bugcheck code: 0xF7 (0xFFFFD00036604CC8, 0x1E882CDD77CA, 0xFFFFE177D3228835, 0x0)
Error: DRIVER_OVERRAN_STACK_BUFFER

3) This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1554A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0x0, 0x8, 0x0)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

4) This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1554A0)
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x41287, 0xC1266221D4, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

I've linked below the .dmp files, I would greatly appreciate any help that anybody could offer me.

Thanks!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rBszZZ5FPeOvQdc4k_fHMRx85GX_pPR7

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,028 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:25 AM

Hi,

I suspect a hardware problem as well... probably RAM. Follow these instructions to run MemTest86 for EIGHT passes. Test one stick at a time. Also, please follow  these instructions and run the Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App. You do not need to create a new topic. Simply attach the files to this one.

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Reubenno2

Reubenno2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 11:43 AM

Hi,

I suspect a hardware problem as well... probably RAM. Follow these instructions to run MemTest86 for EIGHT passes. Test one stick at a time. Also, please follow  these instructions and run the Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App. You do not need to create a new topic. Simply attach the files to this one.

Thanks very much for your reply. I ran memtest overnight (with both sticks installed) and its currently on its 6th pass without any errors. I'll end the test and restart it with only one stick installed.

The only other thing I can think of is that I updated my Bitdefender total security to the 2019 version and am running that alongside malwarebytes premium. I think these crashes started at around that time so I'm going to roll back to the 2018 varient. I also realised that I was running quite a few antimalware/spyware programmes so have uninstalled them too as I fear that they were colliding and causing system slowdowns and BSODs.
I've linked the Sysnative BSOD Dump + System File Collection App files, they didn't zip themselves for some reason so I've zipped them but haven't done anything else. I've also linked a Speccy screenshot.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RFLAmKHMuBXwlfnyuEI0ynDL2TrU38vu
Thanks again.

Edited by Reubenno2, 31 July 2018 - 12:06 PM.

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:04 PM

Nothing noteworthy from the logs. However, I can see atc.sys appearing in the dumps here and there. If BSODs still persist after reverting to the old BitDefender version, can you completely uninstall it? (Make sure to use Windows Defender in its place.)

Edited by bwv848, 31 July 2018 - 09:07 PM.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 Reubenno2

Reubenno2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:49 AM

Nothing noteworthy from the logs. However, I can see atc.sys appearing in the dumps here and there. If BSODs still persist after reverting to the old BitDefender version, can you completely uninstall it? (Make sure to use Windows Defender in its place.)

Will do. I'm currently on my 7th pass of my first stick of Ram, no errors so far. I'm starting to think that this might be driver/software related and not hardware.

Thanks again for your help, it's much appreciated!

#6 Reubenno2

Reubenno2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:32 PM

I tested one stick with no errors, I then left it in the PC so it was the only one in. I'm still experiencing crashing. I ran driver verifier and couldn't get past the Windows boot screen, I had to use a system restore just to get to the desktop. I'm starting to think my Windows installation is really corrupted, though DISM didn't detect any component store corruption.

I'm going to revert back to older Nvidia drivers as I fairly recently updated them and I suppose they could be the source of the problem.

Edited by Reubenno2, 01 August 2018 - 02:34 PM.

#7 Reubenno2

Reubenno2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 08:41 AM

SOLVED: I Used DISM through CMD and it found that Windows was corrupted. I let it do it's thing and it removed the corruption.

I also reinstalled my GPU (970) drivers and reseated the RAM, no BSOD so far and I left my PC running overnight streaming Netflix which was it's issue before. Thanks again bwv848 for all your help!

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,028 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:32 PM

Glad you resolved your problem! Feel free to come back for help in the future!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users