Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newbie and Need Help. Ethernet drivers issue.

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 HFalcon

HFalcon

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:56 AM

Hello. I'm a total newbie here and I need some serious (to a newb like me anyways) help.
If this is in the wrong place or I've done something wrong I apologize in advance and if anyone could help it is much appreciated.

Here is the situation,

I have very old computers. Like 15 years old. Somehow I'm still struggling along and managing to use the internet still. Barely.
A friend recently tried to help me out by giving me one of his older work computers. It's old but still newer then my old ones.
So I hook it up, I log in with the info he gave me and I try running the internet. Well it wont load any pages. I check the network connections and it says it;s connected but nothing loads. Well it being a work PC it is connected to a domain. So I figure it's not going to work because it's locked to the domain and is looking for it. Or something like that.

So I want to start fresh. So I find the option to change it from a work pc to a "this computer will be used for home use" or something like that and I change it. It asks me to reboot so I do.

Well upon reboot I find the user name I signed into is now gone. Luckily there is another one so I log into that one. I proceed to make a whole new account and make sure it's admin and then try to start setting it up. Well thing is now the network connection is not there. So I try to add one. It wont work. So I check device manager  and I see that for netork connections both settings there have error reports. It says "Windows Cannot load the drivers" for the two items there.

So now I do not know what to do. Please tell me there is something I can do to fix this. Please don't tell me it was locked to the work domain account and cannot be fixed...

This computer might not  be anything great but for me it's an upgrade from Vista to Windows 7.

Here are the stats I know.

It's Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit (32bit cpu as well which means I can only use 4GB of the8GB ram... which is upsetting..)
The problem is I can't get a internet connection because it is saying the drivers for "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller" and "WAN Miniport (IKEv2) " are not loading.

I have tried updating them by what is on windows and it just wont work or says "Already using most recent version" yet it still wont load it.

I really could use this computer... I really hope I didn't bork this...

Please remember this was a work PC and was given to me with no disc's etc. It's pretty old, 2012 I think.

Thank you for everyone who took the time to read this and help out.

-Falcon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:18 PM

I think this all boils down to the fact the computer was once on a Domain and now you are trying to use it for home use. I'm not sure I can help with the problem but will ask if the computer has a COA sticker on the side with a legible key. Do not post the key, only post if the key is legible and what version of Windows is shown on the COA sticker.

#3 HFalcon

HFalcon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:01 PM

No sticker but Windows version is 7 Ultimate.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:33 PM

There are no yellow exclamation marks next to your Network adapters in Device Manager, correct?

If there are no yellow exclamation marks the open an elevated command prompt. Type CMD in the search box. Right click > Run As Administrator. Type the following commands and press enter after each.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

Reboot and see if you can connect.

#5 HFalcon

HFalcon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:45 PM

No that is just it there ARE yellow exclamation marks on both my choices in the device manager for network adapters. Both are saying the drivers didn't load.

"This device is not working properly because windows cannot load the drivers required for this device".(Code 31)

That is on both my adapter choices.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:52 PM

What is the make and model of the computer?

Right click each device with a yellow exclamation mark. Select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy the first line exactly as shown for each device in your next post. 

"WAN Miniport (IKEv2)  may be related to the business side (maybe a VPN from what I googled). I don't think you would need this.

#7 HFalcon

HFalcon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:03 PM

well things just keep getting worse.

I had turned the pc off and unplugged it and then waited then plugged back in and turned on to get the inf you asked for. When turning it on it loaded then turned off then back on and said "The Main Bios is corrupted and backup Bios will be recovered. So it did it's thing and rebooted and now windows is in a loop that it wont load. It will go to the windows didn't start and even in safe mode it wont load and goes back to rebooting.

I'm screwed aren't I? Why did the Bios suddenly decide to go corrupt??

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:11 PM

Tap F8 at boot and select Use Last Known Good Configuration. Also there is a setting called Disable Automatic Reboot on System Failure. Select that if Last Known Configuration does not work. BIOS corruption is never good. 

What is the make and model of the computer?

#9 HFalcon

HFalcon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:23 PM

If you mean windows last known good configuration it wont load. Safe mode wont load. None of the options will work. It keeps freezing just as the the logo was starting to fly onto the screen.

As for the model type how do I find that out from the bios menu?

It says Model : H61M-DS2H

Bios Version F6

Bios Date 12/14/12

(Don't  know if I should type in Bios ID)

I don't  know if this will help but some of the stats I have before I couldn't get into windows is

Windows 7 Ultimate

i3 -2120

3.30ghz

8gb ram

465gb hdd

Is it possible windows isn't loading now because it loaded a backup bios and the ID number is changed? Isn't windows locked to a computer?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:38 PM

I don't think it's the BIOS that is causing the problem unless it was a setting change after the backup was restored. You can try resetting the BIOS back to default in the settings. If that does not work then pull your power cord. Open the side of the case and ground yourself to some bare metal. Look in the manual. There should be a jumper you move to clear your BIOS settings. 

What I am looking for is if the computer is an OEM like HP or Dell? But, I think this is a custom build because H61M-DS2H is a Gigabyte motherboard model with a backup BIOS.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H61M-DS2H-rev-20#ov

If the computer had System Restore enabled you can restore to a previous date by booting a Windows Install DVD and selecting Repair Computer > System Restore. There is also Startup Repair. It may take up to three attempts at Startup Repair to fix the problem.

You can download your version of Windows 7 here. Burn the iso file by right clicking on any Windows 7 or later computer and selecting burn disk image or use a program called isoburner. 

repair-your-computer-windows-7.gif

image16.png​

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 July 2018 - 02:39 PM.

#11 HFalcon

HFalcon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:53 PM

Thank you for all your help. I guess my last attempt will be to try bios default settings. I don't know what could have changes when it loaded the backup bios. Windows was working fine but now since the Bios went corrupt and loaded from backup it wont load. I don't have the windows disc and at the moment can't burn my own so for now I can't attempt repair on windows. I just don't understand why this is happening... I felt like you were just about to be able to help me if I could just give you the info on the drivers but then the bios had to go corrupt... I mean really... At worse I could have swapped out a wireless card and used that instead of the ethernet if I could never get that to work. Now I would have to do a whole new install I guess... and if I can't burn a copy of my windows from the place you said I don't see how I can get another version to install. Even then I would have to format. Never done that before.

One side related question. Can you use DDR3 Memory sticks in a DDR2 slot? I'm guessing no...

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:24 PM

You cannot put DDR3 in a DDR2 slot.

ddr-vs-ddr2-vs-ddr3.jpg​

#13 HFalcon

HFalcon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:29 PM

Yeah I figured as much.

So I can't even use the ram from this computer...

The bios defaults didn't work. Windows is still just wanting me to put in the disc and "Repair" it. Says something standard like "A Hardware or Software change might have caused windows to not work properly" Thing is the only thing that just changed was the whole Bios thing. Which looks like it had the same date. So if it loaded the same version why is windows freaking out.. nothing was changed... This just hurts so bad...

Thank you for trying to help JohnC_21

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:39 PM

Until you get a Windows install disk there isn't much you can do. You can do a powercycle but I doubt it will work. Pull the power cord and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach your power cord and boot.

Edit: What did you plan on using the computer for, basic internet and email usage along with some internet purchases and banking? 

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 July 2018 - 03:39 PM.

#15 HFalcon

HFalcon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:16 PM

The Power Boot thing was what I was doing before. I did it and it did'nt fix anything so I did it again but the power cord was still in so I guess holding down the power button after pressing it caused the computer to turn on and off right away and I guess that is what corrupted the Bios. I have had power interruptions before and never a bios corruption, I knew they could happen though.

I was going to use it for basic internet usage, watching videos, surfing, online purchases etc. My GF would have used it for more heavy stuff like Clip studio paint etc. She is using a crappier version computer as it is so anything better would have been nice.

Even if I am able to get the link you gave me to redownload windows I have no key code. The computer was a work computer so they probably loaded it up on a bunch of PC's in their workgroup and it's not like my friend had the disc to give me.

I made the situation worse and worse. MAYBE I could get a new version of windows and install. That might help. But would it solve all the issues? Ironic thing is when I opened the PC up like you said what was in there? a Disc with all the original drivers in it.. liket he network drivers!! my damn luck...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users