Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Disk read error..." unable to boot only when old HDD is plugged in.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Airoose92

Airoose92

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:53 AM

Three weeks ago my PC died, and after taking it to shop to figure out what's wrong with it, and attempting to order the old generation motherboard online (since the shops only sell new motherboards with 1151 or/and DDR4 compatibility which my old PC was not), only to later figure out later that not only was the new motherboard faulty, my CPU also needed to be replaced. Seeing that I had to replace another part, i decided to simply replace the motherboard, CPU, and the RAM, I also added a new SSD and bought a new windows with the intention to boot it from there; so essentially it became an upgraded/new computer; the GPU was the most recent and kept. 

Long story short, I seem to get a "disk read error..." ONLY when the oldest HDD (2008 Hitachi), the one where the old windows is installed is plugged in. Do note that, while the oldest HDD is plugged in, I am still able to access the BIOS and successfully detects the oldest HDD and the other two drives (the SSD and 1TB HDD), yet exiting the BIOS would get to the "disk read error..." not once passing the boot. I have checked and confirmed that the BIOS boot order has the SSD at the top at C:/. I have messed with the cables and the SATA ports in order to confirm that the oldest HDD is the problem. Without the oldest HDD plugged it, the computer does boot and work perfectly detecting both the 1TB HDD and the SSD.

My intention was to backup the oldest HDD and restore it in the SSD, and then reformat it; while the files within it isn't critical, It is something that I want to keep to avoid much inconvenience. Any way to get the data from the 'maybe broken' HDD?

Here are my known specs (shall update any missing/inaccurate info in the future):

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz (6 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

GPU: Radeon ™ RX 480 Graphics

Motherboard: ASUS socket 1151 PRIME Z370-p motherboard

RAM: KINGSTON HX424C15FB/8 8GB DDR4 2400MHZ HYPERX

SSD: KINGSTON 480GB UV500 M.2 SATA 3 SOLID STATE DRIVE

OLDEST HDD: hitachi deskstar hdp725050GLA360

1TB HDD:

I would be grateful if anyone can give possible solutions to my problem, since googling didn't give any relevant information specific to my circumstances. In the meantime, I will probably ask the shops for possible solutions in the coming days.

Thanks. 

Edited by Airoose92, 30 July 2018 - 11:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 12:09 PM

Download and burn the WinPE iso. Boot the DVD and copy the files from the old HDD. Once that is done you can wipe the disk with Aomei Partition Assistant which is on the disk. I'm guessing you get that read disk error because of the boot files on the old HDD.

https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/27180-windows-10-recovery-tools-bootable-rescue-disk.html

You can use Rufus with the iso to create a bootable USB flash drive.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

https://www.disk-partition.com/help/wipe-data.html

https://www.disk-partition.com/help/create-partition.html

All steps on Partition Assistant are virtual until the Apply button is clicked. This lets you back out of any errors.

Edited by JohnC_21, 30 July 2018 - 12:12 PM.

#3 Airoose92

Airoose92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:29 AM

Unfortunately the download link gave pretty abysmal download speeds that was estimated to complete in slightly less than half a day.

Fortunately, i managed to solve my own problem; turned the old HDD into an external and plugged it via the USB, copied over the files I wanted to keep, and reformatted it.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:31 AM

You're Welcome, and thanks for taking the time to post the update. Glad you got your data back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users