Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where does Windows 10 store its truly temporary files?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SupermanPrime

SupermanPrime

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:58 AM

I've recently discovered it's possible to have a tmpfs in Windows too (actually called a RamDisk) and I was wondering what folder should I put in them.

Where does Windows store its application cache and temporary files that are not meant to survive a reboot?

EDIT: SOLUTION: Surprise, it's in the temp folder.

Edited by SupermanPrime, 30 July 2018 - 09:17 AM.

Courage is fear trying to hold on a minute longer. We all need to find that extra minute inside ourselves if we're going to make it through this crisis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RjMaan

RjMaan

• Banned Spammer
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:18 AM

I think the windows 10 also has the temp folder where it stores all the temporary files.

#3 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:22 PM

Yes. You can Windows key- and R and type %temp% then go back and type Windows key -R again and type temp  ...  Those are your temp files

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:43 PM

Hi, you can control this, it is an environment variable, Win + r keys in the run dialogue box copy paste:-

Rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL Sysdm.cpl,,3 (press enter)

Select "Environment Variables" here you can set them, many of us use c:\windows\temp, as the location for both settings. (Temp Tmp).

An elevated cmd prompt type:- set > 0 & notepad 0 (press enter) will reveal all the set variables.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users