Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Itunes or Windows auto changing my default settings

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phikappaphi

Phikappaphi

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:27 AM

I was given an ipod nano to load songs for jogging and loaded 12.8.0.150 itunes to manage the device on my Dell XPS with Windows 10 Home edition. I also have Win Patrol which now alerts me every 5 minutes that something has changed my mp3 default setting to itunes from Groove Music. I went into preferences for itunes and made sure there was no check by "notify me if itunes is not my default player". Having said, that, that is NOT the message I receive. Something has changed my default and Win Patrol asks me if it is all right. I say no. The message repeats.

I went into service.msc and turned the ipod program to manual and stopped it. Did not help.

I went into Settings on Windows and clicked Grove for my default app and restarted my computer, nothing.

First, what  is changing my default app? I assume it's itunes as I never had this issue before downloading it.

Second, is there a way to stop this insanity without removing itunes?

Thanks for any help.

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:46 AM

If you can get Groove app installed on the ipod nano then looks like you can uninstall the itunes from your computer.

See info that I base that on at Using the Microsoft Groove app on an iPhone or iOS-based device

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Phikappaphi

Phikappaphi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:08 AM

If you can get Groove app installed on the ipod nano then looks like you can uninstall the itunes from your computer.

See info that I base that on at Using the Microsoft Groove app on an iPhone or iOS-based device

Not sure how successful I would be doing that. Took me long enough to sync the itunes with the Nano! I have sorted the songs and put  them in sub-categories in itunes and I don't mind the program, hog that it is, as I have a lot of room on this computer. I assume  that there is a registry entry or  something that will disable whatever is changing my default program. Thank God for Win Patrol as it has caught this kind of stuff frequently. Hoping I can simply have whatever it is that is changing my settings removed.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:33 AM

You can try using CCleaner to remove itunes from startup and Tasks. If you need help with doing that...post the lists per

instructions below.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of Google Chrome and Avast.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Post the three lists mentioned below using CCleaner.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Startups. On that page you will see a list of Windows Startups and at the top tabs for each browser and Scheduled Tasks.

At the bottom right of that page you will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste the list of Windows Startups and Scheduled Tasks into your next

post. Please do that.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Uninstall. On that page you will see a list of programs installed on your computer and at the bottom right of that page you

will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste that list in your next post. Please do that.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Phikappaphi

Phikappaphi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:44 AM

You can try using CCleaner to remove itunes from startup and Tasks. If you need help with doing that...post the lists per

instructions below.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of Google Chrome and Avast.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Post the three lists mentioned below using CCleaner.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Startups. On that page you will see a list of Windows Startups and at the top tabs for each browser and Scheduled Tasks.

At the bottom right of that page you will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste the list of Windows Startups and Scheduled Tasks into your next

post. Please do that.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Uninstall. On that page you will see a list of programs installed on your computer and at the bottom right of that page you

will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste that list in your next post. Please do that.

I think that did  it!. I have CCleaner already and checked the startup menu which had an ipod helper (right) program running. Do not understand why that did not come up on Services.msc when I ran that.  Doesn't matter. Thank you as I was about ready to concede to itunes or remove it, already did concede something by accepting an Apple product -- but at least it was a discontinued one.  . .

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:30 AM

Don't be surprised that when you add more songs/music that the unwanted changes will occur again.

You should disable any Tasks that mention updating, etc. for itunes if you haven't done that.

You're welcome...happy surfin'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users