Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Explorer unable to display filesystem of connected USB device

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 johnbey

johnbey

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:32 AM

I have a HP laptop running Windows 8.1 and would like to copy files (especially photos) off my Samsung S6 mobile phone.  When I attach the phone using a USB connection, File Explorer detects it and lists its folders including "Galaxy S6 / Phone / DCIM / Camera", but when I try to open the folder, it is unable to list the filesystem.

For a split second, the remote filesystem is displayed correctly (see attachment File Explorer 1), then the listing is replaced by a group of dummy device icons headed by an interminable green progress bar which never produces any result (see attachment File Explorer 2).

It seems that Explorer is capable of displaying the correct information, but just doesn't do it.   Has anyone seen anything like this before, or can suggest a solution ?

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:47 AM

I've not needed to copy files from an S6 yet, but for older models I've used Samsung Kies. However I believe to support the S6 you need to use Smart Switch:

https://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/apps/smart-switch/

Edited by Platypus, 30 July 2018 - 07:48 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 johnbey

johnbey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:20 AM

Ok thanks.   Your link suggests that Smart Switch is more about transferring data into a Galaxy phone from elsewhere.  Does it work the other way as well ?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,175 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 08:44 AM

It can transfer directly between devices, or from the current device to a PC, then to the new device. You just want to do half the last one, transfer from the current device to PC. Once the data is on the PC, just do whatever you want with it. It doesn't know you haven't got a new phone :)

#5 johnbey

johnbey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 04:14 AM

Thanks Platypus.

I downloaded Smart Switch and ran the backup option.   A window appeared displaying these messages -

Galaxy S6 data is being backed up

Please do not close Smart Switch Mobile until the data backup is complete

Loading backup lists ... (Memo: 100%)

I left it and went out, and 6 hours later the messages were unchanged

I think the problem is that the laptop can detect the S6 at a physical level and also the presence of folders, but something is preventing access to the contents of the folders.   It could be something on the S6, but I can't see any option or setting to change permissions of folders or files.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,175 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:47 AM

Not sure what to think would be going on with Smart Switch there. I have an S5, so I can't try to duplicate a connection to an S6. Also I already have Samsung Kies installed for accessing older Samsungs, so I can't assess whether this next option would deliver access directly on a system that doesn't talk to Samsung successfully, but there is a Windows driver for Android devices available from Samsung:

https://developer.samsung.com/galaxy/others/android-usb-driver-for-windows

Could be worth trying?

#7 johnbey

johnbey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:25 AM

Yes, I had applied that one already.

Just did it again to be on the safe side, but no difference.

I'm beginning to think the problem may be on the Samsung side, so may try and look for a Samsung forum

Thanks for your assistance anyway

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:29 AM

If these photos are on the SD card can you pull the card and attach it to a card reader, either one built into the computer or a USB card reader?

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,175 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:29 AM

Another thing I just noticed, despite statements I found saying Smart Switch replaces Kies for the S6, Kies Version 3 does support S6:

http://kies.youmobile.org/

Kies is what I use for getting photos off Samsungs for people.

Edit: @John_C21

I had assumed the photos were in the phone memory, perhaps I should have checked that...

Edited by Platypus, 31 July 2018 - 08:34 AM.

#10 johnbey

johnbey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:35 AM

Yes you were right Platypus, photos are in the phone's integral storage. The S6 doesn't have any card slot (apart from the SIM one).

I downloaded Kies and ran it.  It just keeps reporting this -

Device not responding.  Disconnect and reconnect the cable.  

I think there is something wrong with the phone.   According to all the USB device connection instructions I have seen, I should be able to see the phone's folders and files without having to use special file transfer apps.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:12 PM

Have to tried a different cable? 

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,175 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:17 PM

The S6 doesn't have any card slot

Ah, only having an S5, I hadn't picked up on that.

#13 johnbey

johnbey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:45 PM

Thanks for your responses JohnC_21.   Yes, I recently bought a new cable and that did progress the issue somewhat - previously the laptop was unable to detect the S6 at all.  Maybe I will get another one to see if it will bring another leap forward ...

Something slightly different happened this evening in that the S6 filesystem listing remained on the laptop's screen while the green progress bar was working its way across the screen (and getting stuck as usual). Although I was unable to access the files, I noticed that only about 8 of the photo files were listed (there are 135 in all).   So I'm now wondering whether this is some sort of capacity issue, i.e maybe the link can only cope with a limited number of files or data volume.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,426 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:06 PM

I guess you could always email the photos to yourself if the phone service is active. Kind of a kludge.

#15 johnbey

johnbey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:55 AM

Yes, that's what I've been doing.  But the photos are about 4 mb each so I can only do one at a time and they take several minutes to send. And I have 135 (and counting) to send across!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users