Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Macrium (free) image be restored to different RAID config?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rhydgaled

Rhydgaled

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:36 AM

The company I work for has recently purchased a Dell Precision 7920 Rack machine.This has a PERC H330+ RAID Controller and two 2.5" 256GB SATA Class 20 Solid State Drives and was supplied with Windows 10 Pro. We want redundancy to avoid downtime so have added a second PSU (in case one fails) and thought we had specified RAID-1 for the two SSDs. Unfortunately, when we received the machine both SSDs were showing up in Windows (one as drive C and the other as drive D) and I had installed the anti-virus software (Webroot) before I realised that reconfiguring the drives as RAID-1 would result in them being wiped of all data. Thus, I installed Macrium Reflect (free version) and made an image of the entire C drive (all partitions; D was empty and of course would cease to exist once the drives were mirrored), which I saved to a network drive.

I have now enabled RAID using the "Dell Lifecycle Controller" software (F10 before Windows boots) and reinstalled Windows from  a USB stick created using the Dell OS Recovery Tool. As I expected, the Device Manager is full of warning triangles due to missing drivers (why the OS Recovery Tool asks for the service-tag I don't know since it just seems to create a normal Windows 10 install stick rather than an image of the system as supplied with all drivers preinstalled). Do I have to manually reinstall the drivers using Dell's Support Assist software or can I just install Macrium and restore the image I made?

I did try asking Google and found this page which suggests that Macrium (old version though; I used v7) does support RAID. In particular this "The whole purpose of RAID is to abstract the storage mechanism away from the operating system/applications and present a storage device for files and data." is encouraging as it suggests the RAID configuration is not written to the hard drive but exists soley on the RAID controller. However, some of the other results suggested that a change to the RAID configuration might count as 'restore to disimilar hardware' which is not a feature of the free version of Macruim reflect. In particular, this Dell support page warns of possible problems with drives that have a "foreign status". Note: the interface I used to setup RAID-1 looked very different to the one in that link.

Would restoring from my Macrium backup result in a "foreign status" or is it safe to restore from it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users