Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder size not displaying

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:07 AM

Sorry for asking this stupid question but why is my Win 7 column for folder size empty? (pic below)

I've searched for something to click on to make the sizes display but have drawn a blank.

My hard drive is about 95% full so I want to delete some stuff to free up space, so its important that I know what's taking up what space.

Attached Files

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 30 July 2018 - 02:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 03:44 AM

That's the way Windows Explorer works (on folders).

You can right click each folder and check the Properties to see the capacity but that is extra work

If you perform a Google search on something like (or click the link)

explorer display folder size

From that link above you can get some ideas for options and even some Explorer extensions that you might like.

When folks want to know what is taking up all the space on their hard drives a popular way to see what folders are taking up space is TreeSize which you can download from here:

https://www.jam-software.de/treesize_free/?language=EN

And you can check your system to be sure it is not afflicted with this popular Windows feature:

https://www.computerworld.com/article/3112358/microsoft-windows/windows-7-log-file-compression-bug-can-fill-up-your-hard-drive.html

Edited by joseibarra, 30 July 2018 - 03:44 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:11 PM

As Josiebarra says, the file size value only displays for files. But it is possible that your hard drive is clogged up with temporary files. Have you ever used a utiilty like Ccleaner ?  This is very good at removing temporary files and is available as a free download from BC -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/ccleaner/

Just run it with the default settings, and don't use the registry cleaner component. Registry cleaners are not reccomended on BC !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:22 AM

Thanks guys I'll get on it, and by the way Chris I've used CCleaner for years and dabbled with the settings, but I'd like to reset them to default, but I can't find a 'Reset' defaults" setting in Options and Tools.

If I do an uninstall / reinstall will that get me back to a clean Default installation?

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:19 AM

Yep easier to uninstall Ccleaner  and grab the Latest one to install and back to default { Just watch for any addons while installing }.

Also try Disk Cleanup and More Options to remove more......right click C Drive from explorer and select properties and then Disk Cleanup.

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 04:58 AM

It is eye opening to some to take a look at the Windows temp folder and the temp folder for your user login...  make a note of the total space used by each.

Then run Disk Cleanup and look at the folders again and check the usage.

Then run CCleaner and look at the folders again and check the usage and there is a big difference.

It seems that totally emtying the folders would be fine but neither option seems to do the complete job.

And note that the free version of CCleaner has some limits like it only looks after the temp files for current user (the paid version can do more):

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   52.17KB   0 downloads

But if you know where all the junk is you can take care of any other users manually.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 Nikelpede

Nikelpede

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 02:43 PM

When folks want to know what is taking up all the space on their hard drives a popular way to see what folders are taking up space is TreeSize which you can download from here:

https://www.jam-software.de/treesize_free/?language=EN

I use Tree Size and it works great.

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 10:41 PM

Bravo Zulu.

#9 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 12:08 PM

By the way if you want to set CCleaner settings back to default here is how.

Open CCleaner

Top left of GUI there is a Windows Tab and an Applications tab.

Right click on the word Windows and select ''Restore Default State''

Left click on Applications tab to make it active and then right click on the word Applications and select ''Restore Default State''.

In fact you can right click and 'restore to default state' any of the tick boxes or group of tickboxes  (for example System)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users