Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

QSFP+ optics on QSFP28 ports can support 10G SFP+, is it right?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 frankWhite12

frankWhite12

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 01:51 AM

Quite confused about the Ethernet netowrk.

So here is the thing, My fiber optic technicians tell me that the QSFP28 optics can not be break out into 10G, but a QSFP+ transceivers on QSFP28 ports can support 10G SFP+. I don't understand? :(

Hope some expert can share some useful insights here! Thanks in advance! if i take a QSFP28 Modules here,can it work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 06:30 PM

Hello

The port on the switch/router will accept a fiber module which you insert into it.

This module will determine the capabilites of the transmission over the fiber you connect it to

QSFP+ is actually four individual 10Gbit connections run over one pair of fiber. It can be bundled to run one 40Gbit link or separated into 4x 10Gbit links

QSFP28 is four individual 28Gbit connections run over one pair of fiber.. It can be bundled to run one 100Gbit link or separated into 4x 25Gbit links.

This means that you either increase transfer speeds between single point to single point connections, or you can get more connections crammed into tight spaces.

Here is a QSFP+ to 4x SFP+ cable from Skylane Optics

QSFP28_Cable-600x0-c-default.png

I hope this cleared things up!

tfn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users