Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New network card suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 blitzjg

blitzjg

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:30 PM

Terrible at picking out stuff. My tower is maybe like 7 years old now, motherboard came with a built-in Intel network card which seems to have crapped out on me.  I am not confident the 3.0 USB ports are functional on my unit so I am hesitant to get an external card, but would prefer whichever version is cheaper at equality quality. What are your suggestions?  

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
                 Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
      System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
             System Model: System Product Name
                     BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/05/10 19:13:52 Ver: 08.00.10 (type: BIOS)
                Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.3GHz
                   Memory: 8192MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 8168MB RAM
                Page File: 1731MB used, 18436MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Name: Intel® 82579V Gigabit Network Connection #2
Device ID: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1503&SUBSYS_00008086&REV_05\3&11583659&0&C8
   Driver: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\e1i63x64.sys, 12.15.0022.0006 (English), 4/11/2018 19:33:45, 524800 bytes

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2018 - 02:39 PM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:08 AM

Cannot see motherboard but it should have PCI Express x1 connector, perhaps even PCI. Any generic PCI Express or PCI network card will do.

#3 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:21 AM

Cannot see motherboard but it should have PCI Express x1 connector, perhaps even PCI. Any generic PCI Express or PCI network card will do.

Sorry, I'm not sure why it didn't show up, wasn't even sure what it was, but thankfully my old newegg order is still viewable.  It is

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

My main reason for asking is because I wouldn't know what parameters/features would be needed/recommended in a network card, and then concern for any compatibility issues or if that is even a potential concern.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:35 AM

Nah you are fine, the motherboard is fairly modern so anything using the PCIe standard will work.

And even if the USB3 ports are not working you can still use USB3 devices in USB2 slots this includes hubs and wireless dongles.

Sure you will not have the speeds of USB3 but USB3 is backwards compatible

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:58 AM

So should I look for a PCIe card or an external USB one?  I'm a gamer so good lan speed is a necessity

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 11:10 AM

For LAN than a internal card is better.

If you said wifi I would have said external as those can be improved by getting cable extenders and such to get better range.

Anyhow I would just get the cheapest PCI compatible ethernet card you can find that is decent, something like this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704060

That should work just fine but if you want something that is more like the one that came with your motherboard:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106036

But since both are capable of the same speeds and the tplink is cheaper I would just go for the tplink, tplink is a good company and make some good devices.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#7 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:07 AM

Pulled the trigger on the tplink, thank you for your help! Found it a few bucks cheaper on amazon too!

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 10:55 AM

Thats cool, it should work just as well as the one on your motherboard did before its demise :D

Hey it happens the older something gets the more likely things will start to fail, thus why i said get something cheap just in case you have to get new parts entirely such as a new mobo and everything.

But who knows you might have what you have for another two or three years its plausible.

Just try to clean that machine now and then with a can of air and keep it running instead of turning it off and on, if its one thing that causes wear its actually powering things on rather than just keeping them running.

Hey if it is going to fail at least it gave you those years of service, the average lifespan of a lot of things is about 5-6 years as transistor caps can start going in that time, as is the break down of certain components.

But with some TLC (Tender love and care, not the learning channel or that singing group who sang Waterfalls you know this song:

) you can make it last longer with any luck.

Its possible to make a machine last 10 years and up but it does take a bit of luck and some TLC

Edited by MadmanRB, 31 July 2018 - 11:06 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#9 blitzjg

blitzjg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:01 PM

Just try to clean that machine now and then with a can of air and keep it running instead of turning it off and on, if its one thing that causes wear its actually powering things on rather than just keeping them running.

I have a couple cans of air which I have done and did just recently. How do you handle the dust?  It seems like merely blowing it up into the air isn't necessarily going to prevent it from settling back down immediately.    Also is the cold frothy brief condensation that forms from repeated/extended use harmful to the components?

I didn't know that, but it just so happens I don't turn mine off very frequently but it often hibernates/sleeps, is that also harmful?  Also are you saying weeks to months at a time keeping it on is healthy? 

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,071 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:09 PM

I use one of these for dust:

https://www.amazon.com/XPOWER-Airrow-Multi-Use-Electric-Computer/dp/B01BI4UQK0/ref=asc_df_B01BI4UQK0/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167121005230&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1568891182739148634&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007224&hvtargid=pla-314219803840&psc=1

Better than a can of air

And yes one can run a machine for a long time, sure windows updates do play with things but one can have a system run for a long time

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users