Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need new HDD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 FuafmoGiannulli

FuafmoGiannulli

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:43 PM

My 1TB Seagate Barracuda is failing. I'd like to get something bigger, like maybe 4TB and not much more than $100. There's a Barracuda just under $100 for 4TB but the one I have failed after less than three years so thinking maybe I should try something else. Suggestions?

Edited by hamluis, 02 August 2018 - 02:41 PM.
Moved from System Bldg to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:31 PM

Well do you need that much space or will 3 or 2TB will do?

As for seagate, yeah they are a bit mixed for many.

For some like me they are just fine but they have had a nasty reputation in the last few years.

Look into HGST or toshiba

Edited by MadmanRB, 29 July 2018 - 08:32 PM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#3 FuafmoGiannulli

FuafmoGiannulli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:37 PM

Didn't realize the Barracuda I was looking at was 5400rpm. Toshiba X300 4gb is just a little more and 7200rpm. More reliable? Yeah I could MAYBE get by with 2gb today but I want a little room to grow.

HGST is cheap. Ultrastar etc. I don't recall hearing HGST before but ____star hard drives I've heard of. Did the company name change or am I not remembering right?

Edited by FuafmoGiannulli, 29 July 2018 - 08:39 PM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:39 PM

Yeah if you can afford one go for it.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 FuafmoGiannulli

FuafmoGiannulli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:41 PM

Yeah if you can afford one go for it.

Edited my post probably after you saw it. HGSTs look cheaper. But if the Toshiba is considered more reliable I'd go for that.

Edit... Eh maybe about the same. Cheaper ones were refurbished. No way I'm buying a refurbished HDD LMAO.

Edit again... Ahh Hitachi. Now I remember.

Edited by FuafmoGiannulli, 29 July 2018 - 08:46 PM.

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,224 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:54 PM

Yeah dont go refurbished on HDD's, i mean everything else is usually fine refurbished such as laptops and Graphics cards but HDD's are delicate.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:21 AM

Are you actually needing a tb's of space? I know you stated that you want to go larger, but you can get a 500gb SSD for around $100. and you'll see a much better improvement in your pc's performance compared to those platter drives. You'll get better longevity and more resistance to shock with an SSD

Edited by Joe C, 30 July 2018 - 09:22 AM.

#8 FuafmoGiannulli

FuafmoGiannulli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:44 AM

Are you actually needing a tb's of space? I know you stated that you want to go larger, but you can get a 500gb SSD for around $100. and you'll see a much better improvement in your pc's performance compared to those platter drives. You'll get better longevity and more resistance to shock with an SSD

500gb isn't much at all. Not nearly enough for the files I already have on my PC. The 1TB drive that's failing is almost full as is my 240gb SSD. If I had the budget for a new PC right now based on what I've learned with what's now my first PC I've built (a few years ago) I'd go for a two gig SSD and 10TB HDD. If I already had 4+ TBs of on board storage I'm sure I'd have filled it by now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users