Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win 10 screen/system timeout

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rjr52

rjr52

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:38 PM

i seriously can not find the settings in win 10 where to set screen/system timeout.

if i leave the computer unattended for 3 minutes i have to log on again as well as reconnect to the wireless.

i am absolutely not a windows newbie but there is a setting i can not find.

it is baffling, i have been to usual places to make settings and looked all over the net to read faq's but can not find the setting.

so please start telling me where to look for timeout settings; it has to be easy but i most definitely can not find it.

thanks, regards.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 06:08 PM

Hi, unattended screen timeout appears to have been added to some OEM's and not others, however in your case it looks like the default is active, which is two minutes, we have a fix for this it has been used thousands of times.

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated cmd prompt will open. Copy all the cmd text below, and anywhere in the cmd prompt window right click, select "paste" the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter. (you will see a success message, takes immediately so go to advanced powers settings and make your changes (under "sleep"). Perfectly safe I wrote the mod myself.

reg add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings\238C9FA8-0AAD-41ED-83F4-97BE242C8F20\7bc4a2f9-d8fc-4469-b07b-33eb785aaca0" /v attributes /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f

If you wanted to disable this mod you can navigate to the key (regedit) and modify the value data "attributes" from 2 to 1.

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 12:29 AM

tenforums has a good page on this

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/72133-add-system-unattended-sleep-timeout-power-options-windows.html

#4 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 823 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 31 July 2018 - 01:28 AM

Hi, yes Shawn gives mostly good advice, the reg mod from my post just makes it easier, (all you do is copy paste) same outcome will result.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users