Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What could be improved here?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:18 PM

So for starters, you could go to this link to view all of my system interiors:

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/9970756

With that being said, out of mere curiosity, I wondered what could be improved. This computer is pretty fast, and runs the games I play appreciably well.

I will say sometimes though, targeting multiplayer, online games, there will be a bit of lag. It really depends on the multiplayer game, though. I started playing a bit of fortnite, and I set everything to epic quality, but scaled down the 3D resolution a bit, and I usually get around 60-70 FPS with the given settings.

I just decided to make a post asking what could really be improved in this PC, to make for faster processing speeds and stuff like that. Now I do know my CPU isn't the greatest, but man those things are expensive! xd

Just wanted to hear anyone's ideas on what to improve for greater speed, this was really posted out of mere curiosity. I'm not saying I won't use this information in the future, but I just want to see what we're looking at. I'm not that great with computer electronics.. xd

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:06 AM

Perhaps you could add better video card when prices calm down after crypto boom. Might take month or two, perhaps some more for that.

#3 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:53 PM

I see.. thanks for the advice!

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,227 posts
  •  

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:55 PM

Yeah that GPU is a bit on the old side, otherwise you asre fine, Skylake is still quite good and that processor is just fine (just ignore the sailboat nonsense that userbenchmark gives as it sort of bases that on age and all that)

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 07:58 PM

Gotcha, thank you Madman!

#6 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,227 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 08:01 PM

Now rather if you want to get a new GPU soon or not is debatable as right now we are in the middle of the year and next year new GPU's will be out by both nvidia and AMD.

New GPU's could lower the price of current ones

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#7 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 04:30 PM

Interesting..

Also, this question popped into my mind.

So, my current PC runs most games at high graphics with exceedingly good frames per second.

However, I am noticing at times, when I try to run multiplayer games (ROBLOX, Fortnite) there is a bit of lag. For Fortnite, I am getting quite a bit of lag, and that seems to be caused when I'm near other players. It's not a horrible lag, but it can get annoying..

And for ROBLOX, a pretty low-key game platform, some games I play on there lag surprisingly. But it is multiplayer, and I'm making an assumption that the lag is caused by rendering all the other players on the screen or what-not.

What core component could be causing this? Would it be processor-based, or GPU-based? Or maybe even something else, like too little memory or something. Or, all of the above?

Thank you!

#8 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,227 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:09 PM

Well could be due to you using a platter drive, you could get a ssd and see if that helps

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#9 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:15 PM

Hm thanks Madman, although I'd hate to replace the hard disk with a SSD and really see no difference, although I've been meaning to do that at some point, possibly. Because I've heard you get a ton more speed including the boot speed of the computer, program loading, and as you just said, game play?

If I could get more info on what that change would benefit that'd be awesome! Also, if you had any recommended (and on the cheapest side possible) models, that would be terrific.

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,227 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2018 - 09:18 PM

Well you dont have to replace the HDD but add the ssd into your system.

I mean this isnt a small profile machine correct?

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#11 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:09 PM

Oh interesting, I thought it was one or the other..

And no, the case I have is pretty large, there seems to be plenty of room to install new components.

But with that being said, if I were to install an SSD alongside the HHD (not replace it) what would the benefits be exactly? I also researched that SSD's will wear down overtime, and ultimately they're pretty expensive..

Thanks again!

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,227 posts
  •  

Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:28 PM

Actually SSD lifespans are fine now, a lot of modern SSD drives have better lifespans than platter drives. Plus prices are fine right now, with 250gb drives around $60 plenty of space for the os and you can still store games on a platter drive.
As for what this will do for your games it will certainly help stutter.
With the OS on its own drive it won't interfere as much. A lot of stutter is from the drive being accessed by Windows in the background as its always running. With Windows on a SSD it won't interfere as much and help with stutter

Edited by MadmanRB, 02 August 2018 - 12:36 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#13 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:30 PM

Thanks for the information, Madman!

So, if I were to ever get an SSD, I would just install it, leaving my HDD where it is? If not, could you provide any instructions on how to do this?

Thanks!

Oh and also, should compatibility be an issue? I'm not sure what's compatible with what, so I just wondered if there's an easy way to check if it would be compatible with everything else.

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,227 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 03:40 PM

Yeah leave your HDD where it is, no need to move it

as for compatibility I would get a standard SATA SSD as you dont have m.2 or anything like that.

the only issue I see is if you need a bracket for it but those are cheap

https://www.amazon.com/SIENOC-Adapter-Bracket-Mounting-Compatible/dp/B00GTA4JQQ/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=N6CNZJVJEM2H1SNSC6ZD

That is if your tower doesnt support 2.5 inch drives

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#15 ComputerGuy1500

ComputerGuy1500
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2018 - 05:57 PM

Well thank you Madman for all the wonderful information!

I'm actually planning on looking into this, at some point, if it isn't crazy money. xd

So if I were to install the SSD to compliment the HDD, would I need to edit any software or something like that so the system knows what to use what storage for??

Or, would I notice immediate speed differences?

And just one other question regarding SSD's, but do they improve the speed of opening applications, loading webpages (assuming a good internet connection is given), and for that random lag in multiplayer gaming??

Sorry for the question overload lol, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing. I really appreciate the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users