Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bandwidth limited by access point

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 trevzilla

trevzilla

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 12:32 PM

I'm paying for 100mbps Internet from my ISP. After they upgraded me from 60mbps, to 100 I noticed that I was still only getting 60. So I contacted them and they had me skip the routers and plug directly into the modem. I did that, and successfully got 100mbps.

My network is setup as follows. Modem->Router->Access Point/Switch->My PC

When I connect modem->My PC I get 100mbps

When I connect modem->Router->My PC I get 100mbps

When I connect modem->Router->Access Point/Switch->My PC I get approximately 67mbps.

So it seems my Access Point is limiting my bandwidth somehow. I'm curious if anyone knows which settings I should be checking to figure out where the limiting is coming from.

The access point is a TP-LINK TL-WR841N router with DD-WRT installed. I followed the DD-WRT instructions to set it up as an access point.

Any ideas where I should start? Thanks so much for any help you have!

Make and model of computer: Windows 10

How the computer is connected (wireless or wired): Wired

Make and model of Router: TP-LINK TL-WR841N running DD-WRT.

Approximate Distance From the router the PC is if its a wireless connection: N/A

What type of internet you have (Dsl, Cable, T-1,etc..): Cable

Result.txt attached.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 01:21 PM

Have a read from my post above yours on most recent. Maybe that will help.

#3 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 01:36 PM

Is the modem or a modem/router? If so the modem should be in bridged mode. Connect the pc directly to cable modem and power cycle the modem. If full speeds come back, then your router is the issue. Be sure all cables and hardware supports 1G. Does the modem have 1g support and docsis 3? Does the router have a 1g WAN port?

Edited by technonymous, 29 July 2018 - 01:37 PM.

#4 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 06:22 PM

Hello

Are you using a cable from your pc through the accesspoint or do you use wireless connection?

tfn

#5 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:12 PM

@toofarnorth - I'm wired along the whole thing. My wireless connections are all slower no matter which access point I'm connected to, but for the purposes of this thread I'm talking about my wired computer.

@technonymous - I'm pretty sure the modem is just a modem. Not the modem/router. I've always had a router connected to it. I've already connected the PC directly to the Modem though, and speeds did come back. However, I connected my PC directly to the router and my speeds stay the same. Only when I connect to the access point do my speeds decrease.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the modem having 1g support or docsis 3. It is a rented modem from Spectrum. (I know, I know...poor financial decision)

#6 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:04 PM

Hello again :)

It is hard to say exactly what might be wrong.
As far as i can figure out that TP-Link access point (in v9, v10 and v11) uses Atheros QCA9533-AL3A chipset.
This has a 10/100mbit switch built in.

It should in theory max out at around 95-96Mbit of traffic.

Which port on the accesspoint is the internet feeding cable connected into?
WAN?
LAN1-4?

If it enters through the WAN port this might be the reason for the slowdown.

Either because the QOS service is enabled or because the CPU in the box isn't powerful enough to transfer data from WAN to LAN at full speed.

Hth!

tfn

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 842 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2018 - 09:22 AM

your access point has to be configured wrong,  is it connecting wireless?

where is your access point located?  how far away from the router?  in a different room?  upstairs, downstairs?  if it's not receiving a strong signal it will dumb down the speed to avoid issues with the network.

and you have to remember the DD-WRT is experimental and maybe the programming could be the cause and maybe you need to report this issue to DD-WRT so the programmers can check on it to make sure it's not just

a simple bug that needs worked out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users