Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow internet speed?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JasonCo

JasonCo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 12:05 PM

So I have AT&T and I'm paying for 300Up/300Down. Also my house has the fiber optic lines which supposedly makes the internet amazing. I'm using wifi with a USB wifi adapter, but its a $100 little thing that supports up to around 900 Download/Upload speed, so its nice. Also my AT&T box is about 10 feet away from my computer on the other side of the wall. 

I only get around 1-7 download speed when I should be getting 300.. My upload speed seams to be more around 250 :o. But it's always very random, sometimes my download will be at maybe 30 and upload will also be around 30. Also my brothers computer is up stares like 60 feet away from the AT&T box and he gets like 350Down/350Upload.... 

Lastly, if I go to the AT&T command center site, and refresh the 2.4 GHz Radio Status, nothing happens. But if I refresh my 5 GHz Radio Status, my internet speed will always jump up to around 105 or so, for maybe a minute, then after that it goes back down to around 1-7.... If I go to my radio selection, it's automatically selected the 2.4 GHz Radio. So it's very confusing how that is selected, and when I refresh my 5 Gz Radio status, my speed goes up briefly. Idk this is insane, idk what to do! 

Your help and time is much appreciated, thanks! 

Edit: PS: My ping is always super low, around 2-4

Edited by JasonCo, 29 July 2018 - 12:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 01:16 PM

I would try plugging directly in to the network port on the back of your router and check the speed. Have you reset your router?  Routers can develop problems, so you may want to look at getting a new router. You can completely disable the 2.4 ghz radio in advanced options. Check the speed by direct plugging it, first. If you are getting good speeds when you do, then your router may be going out. 

#3 JasonCo

JasonCo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 02:55 PM

Well my brothers computer is maybe 5x times faster than mine, his has amazing speeds, even better speeds than what we paid for! Also, I recently moved and had to change over to AT&T. But I used to have comcast and I used to have it hardwired to my computer and the speeds were perfectly fine. I did have windows 7 at the time and at this new place I have windows 10. But anyways, my bros computer is on wifi also and his is getting high speeds. 

Edited by JasonCo, 29 July 2018 - 02:59 PM.

#4 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 03:12 PM

Right...he has his own router....maybe your router is going out. Perform a "reset" first.

#5 JasonCo

JasonCo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 04:47 PM

We only have 1 router I think? It's just the AT&T box and that's it. We have no other box or anything anywhere. 

#6 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 06:39 PM

Ok. Most likely, you have a router. I can't see AT&T techs hooking you up directly to the box. From the AT&T box follow cat 5 cable to the router. It will be in the top most connector (usually a different color than all the other ports) you should have 3 to 5 other ports. One of the ports will connect from the router slot to the back of your computer (when not using wifi). I suggest you try direct wiring it to your PC instead of using Wifi. Your brother might be limiting your connection speed through the router, or it may be set at a different speed than your brothers. A fixed cat 5 cable is going to get your fastest speeds, anyway. I recommend, since you have FIOS you should invest in a CAT 6 cable (from the router to the PC). 

Edited by Mason21, 29 July 2018 - 06:41 PM.

#7 JasonCo

JasonCo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 05:35 PM

I'm unable to directly connect, the router is on the other side of the wall. This isn't my house so I'm not able to just cut holes and route some Cat5 without permission. Currently my download is at 2.10 and Upload is at 161.60. Brothers computer is still at 300+/300+ :(

#8 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:05 PM

You're going to have to go into the routers settings and check the Wifi settings. Obviously, your brother has one setting, and you are under another. 

#9 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:10 PM

Cat 6 is your best option, I was just making you aware. Short of direct wiring, you are going to need to get into the router and check the Wifi settings. Other people on the forum may be able to better instruct you on how to tweak wifi..   I haven't used it in years. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users