Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer crashes when playing games, and fans go to max.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 ShowMerC

ShowMerC

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:41 AM

Hello,

I have had my PC for about 5 months now, and with most games I try to play, like Overwatch, Starcraft 2, ect, I'll crash within 2-3 minutes, causing my monitor will go black and my fans going to 100%. This issue has been occurring right around when I built my computer (maybe 1-2 weeks after I had been using it,) and the reason I haven't gotten this resolved yet is because this issue doesn't occur on the games I play most frequently (like CSGO.) I have tried reinstalling Windows along with my drivers, making sure there are no other instances of AMD Chipset drivers, and making sure that my cables are secure. I have not done any overclocking. I used MSI Afterburner and saw that my CPU and GPU temperatures were always fine before the crash (CPU: 40s, GPU: 60s.) I have gotten both LiveKernelEvent errors 141 and 117, if that is of any help. As of now I think that the problem might be with my graphics card, but I am not really sure of anything.

Here is a list of my components:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
GPU: Asus - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Dual Video Card
Storage (M.2): Western Digital - Blue 250GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage (HDD): Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: SeaSonic - 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Here is a link to my PCPartPicker build if you would like to view it more easily:

Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by ShowMerC, 29 July 2018 - 12:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 01:25 PM

What power plan are you using? 

#3 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 01:28 PM

Please download Speccy   Run it and click on "file and select  "publish snapshot" then post that link here to the forum . 

Edited by Mason21, 29 July 2018 - 01:32 PM.

#4 ShowMerC

ShowMerC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:13 PM

I'm using the AMD Ryzen Balanced power plan, here's the link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/lYVJQw3EZtJcfqxTN0fU5tZ

Edited by ShowMerC, 29 July 2018 - 05:18 PM.

#5 ShowMerC

ShowMerC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 05:19 PM

Should I be using a different plan?

#6 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 06:30 PM

I would set your power plan to "high performance" since you are a gamer. Since the PC seems to be crashing when you have some games running, I would lean toward a power supply issue. I am not familiar with Seasonic ...i recommend Corsair CX series...you can pick one up at Microcenter or Fry's for around 80 bucks. I would give one of your high graphic intensive games a try after changing the power plan to "high performance" if you still have the same issue, I am thinking power supply going bad. 

#7 ShowMerC

ShowMerC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 06:38 PM

Trying that now, I'll let you know what happens.

#8 ShowMerC

ShowMerC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 06:49 PM

Didn't work, I still crashed. It might be a power supply issue as you said.

#9 ShowMerC

ShowMerC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 06:52 PM

Is there any way to test if this is the problem?

#10 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 06:58 PM

Get a spare power supply and hook it up and see if the problems persists. Power supply problems are hard to diagnose a lot of times. But...they do go out. 

#11 ShowMerC

ShowMerC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:05 PM

I don't have a spare power supply, I guess I'll have to pick one up. It seems odd that a Seasonic power supply would go out after only 5 months, since they are a pretty reputable brand. I'll let you know if my problem is fixed when I try a new power supply, thanks for your help!

#12 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:13 PM

Ya. That is weird at 5 months. But...I have never heard of Seasonic but it looks like it is a reputable brand. I would recommend clicking on file explorer, right clicking on "this PC"  click "properties" select under "startup and recovery the button "settings""  under "system failure" uncheck the box that says "automatically restart"   the next time your system shuts down you will have time to write down the blue screen. 

#13 ShowMerC

ShowMerC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:20 PM

Oh... I failed to mention that I don't get a blue screen, I get a black screen with nothing to write down. I also can still hear audio even when the screen goes black and the fans go to max. Sorry about that.

#14 Mason21

Mason21

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:59 PM

The fans going to max is the sign that leads me away from the power supply going out. The only things I can think of that might cause this, other than the power supply are improper application of thermal compound and a heat problem on the processor or memory problems (although, not as likely). Have you run a tool like  Core Temp and run a benchmark program such as Unigine Heaven to see if temperatures are rising? Try doing this.

#15 ShowMerC

ShowMerC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:47 PM

So I ran Unigine Heaven for about 4 minutes, and it crashed with the fans going to max and monitor going black. My temperatures were about 70 degrees for my GPU and 40 for my CPU, which aren't very high. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users