Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Java 8 Won't Update - Error Code 1603

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 F1Help

F1Help

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:37 AM

Hi,

I am trying to update Java 8 to the latest version on my Window 7 Pro PC.  However, I persistently get this "fatal error" at the end of the install:

Error Code 1603: Java Update did not complete.
https://www.java.com/en/download/help/error_1603.xml

I've tried using numerous methods - the built-in Java updater, Ninite and PatchMyPC, and all give the same results.  I also tried temporarily disabling running apps in the background (such as Kaspersky AV) but it made no difference.  I don't recall having trouble installing Java in the past, so not sure why it has become a problem now.

So this leads onto a few questions:

1) How can I update Java 8 to the latest version without getting an error?

2) Do I really need Java installed anyway?  My only reason for installing it is that I frequently use OpenOffice and LibreOffice.  However, I only really use the basic spreadsheet and word processing functionality (not databases etc.).  Also, I can't see a valid reason why a modern web site would need to use Java.

3) Do I need to install a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Java, or both?  I am using a 64-bit PC with 64-bit Windows.  I had both 32-bit and 64-bit versions installed but it appears they were both uninstalled with PatchMyPC when attempting to update (it runs the Java uninstaller before attempting installation of the new version).

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 softwaremaniac

softwaremaniac

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,135 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:57 AM

Helllo and welcome! Java is considered a security risk and unless there is a specific need for you to use it, like e-banking or similar, I'd recommend uninstalling it.

If you'd like to keep it and update it, I am going to need log files to be able to assist you: https://www.java.com/en/download/help/log_files.xml

The version depends on the version of the browser you would be using, and not on the OS architecture.

#3 F1Help

F1Help
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:10 AM

Thanks for your reply.

I managed to successfully install Java (both 32-bit and 64-bit versions) by downloading and running the respective manual offline installers.  I noticed that both installers said they could not install to the default existing Java folder because a sub-folder with files was already there, so I manually moved that sub-folder away and installation completed successfully.  Perhaps this was why the automated updates were failing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users